"extracurricular activities" Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
senorhosh

Bronze

"extracurricular activities"

Post by senorhosh » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:33 am

What do "extracurricular activities consist of for law school?

I'm a 4th year student (staying for 5th year) but I have no club membership, no volunteer work, etc.

1. How important is this for law school?
2. Should I start volunteering?
3. As a chemistry major, I'm not sure if I should work in labs or not because they might be "irrelevant" to law school.
So what should I do?

Thanks

beaniew

New

Re: "extracurricular activities"

Post by beaniew » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:38 am

your admission status will depend only upon your LSAT score and gpa.

Mustard Blood

New

Post by Mustard Blood » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:44 am

beaniew wrote:your admission status will depend only upon your LSAT score and gpa.

From what I've read, this seems to be about 95-98% true.

TheTallOne0602

New

Post by TheTallOne0602 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:48 am

beaniew wrote:your admission status will depend only upon your LSAT score and gpa.
This isn't entirely true, or even if it was, we have no way of knowing this.

Are LSAT/GPA the most important part of your application? By far? Yes. But tons of other applicants will have basically your exact numbers, and the tiebreakers have to come from somewhere else.

Also, if you are interested in certain schools (Stanford, Berkeley, Northwestern and Yale have this reputation from the T-14, anyway), softs can matter even with good numbers.

But as far as answering the OP's question: do what you want to do and do it well. Volunteer, certainly (why haven't you? Time constraints?) but do it because it might be a decent thing to do, not because it is a magic key into law school. Do research. Start a club. Work. Do whatever. But trying to get into schools through softs is not really going to work, so don't fret over it much. The numbers open doors, the softs are more like tiebreakers for the vast majority of schools.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:07 am

TheTallOne0602 wrote:do what you want to do and do it well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BrianGriffintheDog

Bronze

Post by BrianGriffintheDog » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:21 am

I've been adding various volunteer experiences that last 1-2 days and sometimes even less on my application. You should try doing the same if you're that desperate. Better than not having anything there.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:25 am

Most law school apps require resumes. It would kind of suck to have to leave it blank even with good numbers.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:05 pm

It's kind of late to be adding clubs and community service going into your 5th year of college. Law schools care if you have significant leadership or accomplishments through orgs. A laundry list of orgs will not help.

lawschool12345

Bronze

Post by lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:35 pm

i volunteer as both a tutor at an elementary school and a coach for numerous youth athletics, and do not get paid for either. how would this look on an app?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:38 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:i volunteer as both a tutor at an elementary school and a coach for numerous youth athletics, and do not get paid for either. how would this look on an app?
Those are pretty generic softs.

(I was a 4-year special needs volunteer at a local elementary school, among other things.)

lawschool12345

Bronze

Post by lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:39 pm

thats what i figured, it did give me something to focus my ps about so i guess it wasnt that much of a waste ha

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:42 pm

I think good ECs/softs are necessary but not sufficient for apps. Perhaps LS apps seems like a numbers game, but I'm willing to wager that it's b/c nearly everyone has solid resumes to begin with.

On almost every LS app, there is a section where you have to enter your ECs, honors, job history, and so on. I can't imagine that having these sections partially or totally empty would be acceptable. I've never heard of an applicant w/ strong numbers yet VERY weak ECs/softs getting into top schools

rocktower3

Bronze

Post by rocktower3 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:57 pm

What I can't figure out is what's important enough to be included in the 'non-academic activities' section. Student gov- ok. Classical music- ok. What about running marathons? Do they really care that I run every day? I've never really volunteered in any capacity that's resume-worthy. Ugh!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:36 pm

rocktower3 wrote:What I can't figure out is what's important enough to be included in the 'non-academic activities' section. Student gov- ok. Classical music- ok. What about running marathons? Do they really care that I run every day? I've never really volunteered in any capacity that's resume-worthy. Ugh!
Include a section called 'Personal' or 'Interests' on your resume where you can put your hobby-type stuff. It makes you sound well-rounded and normal and shows a hint of your personality. I wouldn't necessarily include things like video games and dumpster diving, but competitive distance running is definitely valid.

Look at some of the things people included on the Harvard example resumes: --LinkRemoved--

FWIW, mine says 'Interests include snowboarding, recreational ice hockey, camping, digital photography and art, cooking, and reading fiction.'

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Almost everyone on TLS will tell you they dont matter. I didnt put any extra curriculars on my resume - I'm kind of regretting it now as I feel like I run the risk of coming off as someone who just went to class and didnt participate much at school.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:39 am

From the quotes in the title, I thought this was going to be about drug use or sex with professors. The actual subject of this thread is significantly less entertaining.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:07 am

senorhosh wrote:What do "extracurricular activities consist of for law school?

I'm a 4th year student (staying for 5th year) but I have no club membership, no volunteer work, etc.

1. How important is this for law school?
2. Should I start volunteering?
3. As a chemistry major, I'm not sure if I should work in labs or not because they might be "irrelevant" to law school.
So what should I do?

Thanks
I was a hard science major, so I will just suggest that you consider the following. If you work in a laboratory, could you expect to be published? If you can snag a publication out of it, then I would say it's worth it even though it's not directly relevant to law school. Publications are the kinds of things that just stay on your resume forever, even if you switch fields. And if you ever consider drug patent law, or something similar, a publication certainly wouldn't hurt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”