Single Parenting during school Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nygrrrl

Gold

Re: Single Parenting during school

Post by nygrrrl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:34 pm

mdallavis wrote:
katjust wrote:If you are single parent with a young child get a job and don't go to law school.

If you are seriously considering this just sign away your parental rights and leave the child with the person who really wants to take on the responsibility.
GTFO.
IIRC,katjust is a conservative male with a couple of young kids and a wife who is a SAHM and takes care of them. (Not judging, just filling in the background. Is that correct, kat?)

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:36 pm

katjust wrote:If you are single parent with a young child get a job and don't go to law school.

If you are seriously considering this just sign away your parental rights and leave the child with the person who really wants to take on the responsibility.

This is ridiculous. Wanting to get an education as a single mother is not irresponsible. In fact, it sets the example for one's child that education is important.

That being said, I am also a single mother, and have been all the way through undergrad. My daughter is now 9. I worked 30+ hours per week, went to school (not online) and still spent quality time with my daughter, took her to Karate and Dance classes, and even joined the goofy PTA. I plan on going to law school in the fall, and I plan on keeping my daughter with me.

My point is, it's not impossible. Yes, I am limited to schools in my state because her father lives here and taking her too far from him would be unfair. But I'm determined to do both.

Maybe my situation is a little easier than OP's now because my daughter is school aged and can attend the afterschool program (they charge according to income) leaving me free to attend classes and study during the day. So, perhaps a reasonable solution for mom's with younger kids is waiting till they start kindergarten to go to law school. Then child care won't be as much of an issue.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:37 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
mdallavis wrote:

GTFO.
IIRC,katjust is a conservative male with a couple of young kids and a wife who is a SAHM and takes care of them. (Not judging, just filling in the background. Is that correct, kat?)
You may not be judging, but it certainly seems like he was. Regardless, his comment was an asinine thing to say in this thread.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:42 pm

mdallavis wrote: You may not be judging, but it certainly seems like he was. Regardless, his comment was an asinine thing to say in this thread.
Oh yes, he is very judgmental. I'm just providing additional information.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Leira7905 wrote:

This is ridiculous. Wanting to get an education as a single mother is not irresponsible. In fact, it sets the example for one's child that education is important.

That being said, I am also a single mother, and have been all the way through undergrad. My daughter is now 9. I worked 30+ hours per week, went to school (not online) and still spent quality time with my daughter, took her to Karate and Dance classes, and even joined the goofy PTA. I plan on going to law school in the fall, and I plan on keeping my daughter with me.

My point is, it's not impossible. Yes, I am limited to schools in my state because her father lives here and taking her too far from him would be unfair. But I'm determined to do both.

Maybe my situation is a little easier than OP's now because my daughter is school aged and can attend the afterschool program (they charge according to income) leaving me free to attend classes and study during the day. So, perhaps a reasonable solution for mom's with younger kids is waiting till they start kindergarten to go to law school. Then child care won't be as much of an issue.
Leira, waiting to start law school until my oldest could take advantage of after school programs made a huge difference. Great suggestion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:50 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:

Leira, waiting to start law school until my oldest could take advantage of after school programs made a huge difference. Great suggestion.
Single parents gotta stick together :wink:

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:29 pm

The partner at the firm I intern at had 3 young kids during law school. Part time programs are made for people like you.

He was not single but still that is a handful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”