What makes a dual degree 'worth it'? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
camelcrema

Bronze

What makes a dual degree 'worth it'?

Post by camelcrema » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:17 pm

There has been plenty of ire on this site about a JD/MBA not making sense for most applicants.
What about JD/MA programs? For example, would a JD/MA Econ make sense for someone looking to work in corporate or securities law? Assume that the additional degree takes an additional 6 months to 1 year.

NZA

Silver

Re: What makes a dual degree 'worth it'?

Post by NZA » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:21 pm

camelcrema wrote:There has been plenty of ire on this site about a JD/MBA not making sense for most applicants.
What about JD/MA programs? For example, would a JD/MA Econ make sense for someone looking to work in corporate or securities law? Assume that the additional degree takes an additional 6 months to 1 year.
Depends on how much $$$ you're willing to spend?

I have no direct experience with this sort of question, but from experience (working for three years in law offices, both government offices), I knew only three attorneys with dual degrees. One was a JD/MBA, one was a JD/MA in Forestry, and one had an MA in Accounting and a JD he got later.

Soo...maybe it depends on what you'd like to do? Could be a good option for academia? I think most stuff you learn on the job, though?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:23 pm

Probs not worth it. No need for the MA to work for a big firm in such a capacity.

serdog

Bronze

Post by serdog » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:50 pm

I hear it can be helpfully for the public sector and then it depend and what degree and where from JD/MPA from Yale and Woodrow Wilson is may be worth it well a program in which on or the other is TTT isn't worth it

Lokomani

New

Post by Lokomani » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:17 pm

90% of these dual degrees are a waste of money - and are merely offered because of the few legit cross-degree programs from a handful of schools. Check and see what the alums who have dual degrees are actually doing with it. If you can't see yourself working exclusively in the secondary degree field, then don't get it.

You should have been researching this with real people and their experiences. This forum is the worst place for advice about practical things (i.e. this site is full of T-14 or bust biglaw wannabees who don't realize that grades are far more important than school prestige ITE).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tarakit

New

Post by tarakit » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:44 pm

I am in an MA Econ program now (part of BS/MA program), and we don't really do much that would be relevant to working in any sort of business setting anyway. The material is interesting, and I'm sure I've learned something useful. However, it is not a program I would recommend to anyone trying to get a joint degree for a practical reason. Also, most universities do not offer terminal degrees in economics, so an MA is normally given to someone who does not finish their PhD program. (I did not know any of this when I started the program.)

If you really do want an in-depth knowledge of securities, etc., you could get that in an MS Finance, though you normally need a very strong math background to be in one of these programs. Also, the material the degree covers would be more than you would need to know as a lawyer. You would probably be better off taking just a few accounting and finance classes during law school instead of getting another degree.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:39 pm

Law degree with engineering degree from engineering college. Then go into IP

Lokomani up there is going to tell you this is a bad idea. I still think it's a good idea though, I just came up with it a couple of days ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”