Mac or PC? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
haus

Gold

Re: Mac or PC?

Post by haus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:56 am

westinghouse60 wrote:One time I was forced to use a Mac. I was trying to adjust the text sizes of various parts of a document, but rather than being able to enter a numerical value for size, I could only press a button to make text bigger or smaller than it currently was. Being the OCD freak that I am, I probably spent 30 minutes trying to eyeball different headings and make sure they were the same size.
You may or may not know this, but Macs are computers, not word processors. The difficulty you were experiencing was with an application not the computer. I can assure you that there are many applications that give you the capability to control font size specifically, among them for word processors on a Mac are: MS Word, Pages (part of iWork), NeoOffice, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Bean, AbiWord, Mellel.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:16 pm

Been looking at some of the "ultraportable" laptops that I see a lot of now, and I had a thought. How important is the portability? If you're planning on staying in the library at school while you study since you don't bring work home, can't you just leave your huge casebooks in a locker and take the laptop home?

Any current students want to weigh in on the weight issue?

lolol10

Bronze

Post by lolol10 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:18 pm

MAC

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:36 pm

[quote="lolol10"]MAC[/quote]

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:30 pm

zonto wrote:Been looking at some of the "ultraportable" laptops that I see a lot of now, and I had a thought. How important is the portability? If you're planning on staying in the library at school while you study since you don't bring work home, can't you just leave your huge casebooks in a locker and take the laptop home?

Any current students want to weigh in on the weight issue?
As someone who carried a 15.4", 7 lb laptop all through undergrad, I will tell you that it isn't a big deal. You're talking a difference between the heaviest and the lightest that is less than a 5 lb dumbbell. No matter what else is in your bag, the difference between a 4-5 lb laptop (which is average for a decent 13-14" laptop these days) and a 2-3 lb laptop like a Macbook Air or Samsung Series 9 or whatever is minimal unless you are incredibly frail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Can I get a TL;DR version of what the consensus is re best laptop PCs for law school? I know there are threads on the topic but given the fast rate of change in the laptop market I'm interested in the latest perspective.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:28 pm

sundance95 wrote:Can I get a TL;DR version of what the consensus is re best laptop PCs for law school? I know there are threads on the topic but given the fast rate of change in the laptop market I'm interested in the latest perspective.
Depends largely on what is important to you.

On the bright side, a lot of the basic stuff is getting easier. As the process of general technical improvement has raised the entry level quite a bit over the last few years.

- Processor speed - not a big factor, most apps you will use are not processor intensive
- RAM - if you like to run many apps at once, RAM shortages can be a nuisance (4GB should help avoid this for most)
- Storage space - used to be a big factor, but the dropping cost have brought more space to most systems
- Screen - size, resolution, quality, take a look see what you like
- Battery life - If you plan to spend most of your time next to power sources, it may not matter, if you like to set up shop on the fly then it could well be worth while to splurge for a system stronger in this area
- ergonomics - Pay attention to how the keyboard feels as you pound out a few pages, this is a factory that many overlook
- design/fit and finish - this is something that matters to me. I have a strong dislike for pop out CD trays, rough edges on the outside edges of a system that can get caught going into or out of a bag
- OS - Mostly a personal preference, make sure your choice meets requirements that you have (for most law schools this means Windows or Mac). I prefer Mac or Linux for my systems (I am a big command line geek, and I do not care for the default windows shell)

Any time that you are considering getting a new system, it is a good time to stop and think about your backup your strategy. Even the best system has the chance of failing, but you will likely find such a process much less stressful if you have a means of recovering a recent set of your working documents.

Happy hunting,

EDIT:

size - personal preference, for laptops I prefer smaller systems. I travel frequently and space is a limiting factor, I am using a 12" laptop, although I am jealous of the 11" MacBook Air, primarily because of the TSA not requiring these laptops to be removed from your bag when going through security.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:15 pm

sundance95 wrote:Can I get a TL;DR version of what the consensus is re best laptop PCs for law school? I know there are threads on the topic but given the fast rate of change in the laptop market I'm interested in the latest perspective.

Either a Mac or a PC.

Seriously, whichever one you prefer. They are largely the same except for the OS.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Fuck it. I'm going to go to the drawing board and make a computer called the "Pear." It'll be *THE* computer for law.

I'll be back when I'm done. SO LONG, SUCKERS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:58 am

Looking for opinions on this purchase. PC guy, used to be A+ certified, Adobe CS5 suite user, looking to buy a laptop for law school. Note that gaming will now be on a PS3 since I'm tired of upgrading desktops. :D

Lenovo ThinkPad X220
  • Intel Core i5-2520M Processor (2.5GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
    12.5" Premium HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna
    Intel® HD Graphics 3000
    2 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)*
    No Fingerprint Reader
    320 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
    ThinkPad Battery 29++ (9 cell)
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (2x2 AGN)
    Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable
    3YR Onsite + 3YR ThinkPad Protection
*Will be upgraded to 8GB PC3-10600 RAM via Newegg for $70.

Estimated total: $1,022.11 (w/ free shipping, and I can checkout on Amazon where I have a $50 giftcard)

Not usually an extended warranty guy, but I figure since it ends up being around $175 for basically the whole time I'll be in law school and covers accidents, spills, etc. with onsite repair and free data transfer it might be worth it.

Possible future upgrades would be an mSATA SSD for Windows/programs (think 80GB) which I can use at the same time as my 320GB hard drive it's currently configured with. Also, I like the Lenovo slice battery which adds another 13 hours or so, but it is another $180 and adds 1.6 lbs to the total weight... The 9-cell upgrade from the standard 6-cell was only $9, so I figure I could "make do" with that. Thoughts?

Sidenote: If anyone knows where I can get a Samsung 9 for $1,000, please let me know...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:26 am

zonto wrote:Looking for opinions on this purchase. PC guy, used to be A+ certified, Adobe CS5 suite user, looking to buy a laptop for law school. Note that gaming will now be on a PS3 since I'm tired of upgrading desktops. :D

Lenovo ThinkPad X220
    12.5" Premium HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna
    Intel® HD Graphics 3000
    No Fingerprint Reader

Estimated total: $1,022.11 (w/ free shipping, and I can checkout on Amazon where I have a $50 giftcard)

Not usually an extended warranty guy, but I figure since it ends up being around $175 for basically the whole time I'll be in law school and covers accidents, spills, etc. with onsite repair and free data transfer it might be worth it.

Possible future upgrades would be an mSATA SSD for Windows/programs (think 80GB) which I can use at the same time as my 320GB hard drive it's currently configured with. Also, I like the Lenovo slice battery which adds another 13 hours or so, but it is another $180 and adds 1.6 lbs to the total weight... The 9-cell upgrade from the standard 6-cell was only $9, so I figure I could "make do" with that. Thoughts?

Sidenote: If anyone knows where I can get a Samsung 9 for $1,000, please let me know...
Are you still a heavy CS user? A cursory glance to me seems like you might be able to save money if you went with a larger computer because if memory serves me right, going as small as 12.5" usually costs you.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:05 am

Let me know also.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:56 pm

zonto wrote:Looking for opinions on this purchase. PC guy, used to be A+ certified, Adobe CS5 suite user, looking to buy a laptop for law school. Note that gaming will now be on a PS3 since I'm tired of upgrading desktops. :D

Lenovo ThinkPad X220
    Intel® HD Graphics 3000
    No Fingerprint Reader

Hey quick adobe question for you. I'm a big adobe person myself and have always used macs. However, I'm thinking of getting a PC for law school (the mac I use for graphic design belongs to my job). I always hear people say that macs are way better for programs like illustrator and photoshop, but i've never used them on PCs, so I have no idea what the differences are. Since you've alluded to the fact that you are a gamer that has used PCs in the past, I assume youve used adobe for PC. Do you notice any limitations?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:37 pm

The consensus is do your homework and decide for yourself. Really isn't that hard to be an informed consumer, even if you're not a computer geek.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Regarding Adobe software, the whole belief that Macs are better for design is bull crap.

If you have a 64-bit OS and the 64-bit version of CS5 installed, the only other things that matter are your display, hard drive, graphics, RAM, and processor. Current Macs and design-centered Windows 7 machines all basically use the same Intel and AMD/Nvidia technology. Just find the specs that suit your fancy. :)

Note: The 15% coupon I was using for that Thinkpad expired some time between 1am my time and 9am my time. Stupid sleep-on-it idea...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:54 pm

zonto wrote:Note: The 15% coupon I was using for that Thinkpad expired some time between 1am my time and 9am my time. Stupid sleep-on-it idea...
I bet you that you will be able to get that price (with coupon) at some point between now and law school.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:09 pm

zonto wrote:Regarding Adobe software, the whole belief that Macs are better for design is bull crap.

If you have a 64-bit OS and the 64-bit version of CS5 installed, the only other things that matter are your display, hard drive, graphics, RAM, and processor. Current Macs and design-centered Windows 7 machines all basically use the same Intel and AMD/Nvidia technology. Just find the specs that suit your fancy. :)

Note: The 15% coupon I was using for that Thinkpad expired some time between 1am my time and 9am my time. Stupid sleep-on-it idea...
See that's what i've always assumed, but everyone acts like macs unlock some extra secret adobe power. Awesome. I'll purchase my behemoth i7 HP without fear then.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:16 pm

All the power to you! There are a few good design-capable laptops on SlickDeals right now you may want to check out.

And bk, it's probably a good thing that coupon expired because I can keep looking. I'm going to go to a couple stores tonight and try keyboards and screen sizes out and whatnot.

If anyone is in the market too, here's another I'm considering:

HP ProBook 4530s
  • i3-2310M @2.1ghz (new Sandybridge model)
    4GB DDR3
    320GB 7200 RPM Hitachi Travelstar Z7K320
    DVD-RW drive w/ LightScribe
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    15.6", 1333x768, LED backlit LCD
    HD3000 Intel integrated graphics
    Bluetooth 3.0
    5.55 pounds...
$500 with free shipping (buy.com does have price fluctuations though) and an extra 5% cashback if you have a Discover card and enter buy.com from the Discover shopping link in your account.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:59 am

zonto wrote:SlickDeals
The answer to all your (non-Mac) laptop purchasing needs.

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:46 pm

Comparing the best desktop replacement laptops on the market, bolded indicates superior spec, prices before taxes:

Macbook Pro 15 Configuration: $2064 (Amazon)

2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7-2720QM (Sandy Bridge)
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Backlit Keyboard
Bluetooth
(Thunderbolt ready)
No AppleCare

Dell XPS 15 Configuration: $1859, $1430 w/ $429 promotion)

Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM processor 2.20 GHz (Sandy Bridge)
6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory (base config option)
750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus
15.6 FHD B+RGLED TL (1920x1080)
Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
Backlit Keyboard
Bluetooth
2 yr warranty

So are the better graphics card, Thunderbolt tech, and MBP form factor/aesthetic worth the extra $600, even with the XPS' better memory, B+RGLED screen, JBL speakers/subwoofer, Blu-Ray, and 2 yr warranty aside? Take out the Dell promotion coupon and I'd say the MBP 15 is kinddd offf justifiable. But then adding AppleCare ($350) ruins it.

I could never justify buying a Mac unless it was refurbished.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:57 pm

aesis wrote:best desktop replacement laptops on the market
aesis wrote:Dell

Does not compute.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:00 pm

kalvano wrote:

Does not compute.
This, even though I'm a PC person. I will not buy Dell again after buying Dell for so long, and being consistently less and less happy with their customer svc

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:21 pm

DeeCee wrote:
This, even though I'm a PC person. I will not buy Dell again after buying Dell for so long, and being consistently less and less happy with their customer svc
It is hard to find a builder of windows machines that does a good job at customer service/technical support. Most PC non-corporate support is done at helpdesk outside of the country and quality level is mixed at best.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:33 pm

aesis,

You can often get a price break on Apple products through your school. The Macbook Pro that you describe sells for $1969 for students and faculty at Harvard (other schools would provide similar discounts), and the Apple Care plan cost $239.

For those schools that do not have their own Apple Store, student discounts can be received by going directly to Apple:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing

Yes the overall cost is still higher, but this does lower the difference in price. The Apple does not have a BlueRay player, but BlueRay playback on such a small screen provides little, if any enhancement over a DVD. And the Dell has the significant disadvantage of being supported by Dell.

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:26 pm

haus wrote:aesis,

You can often get a price break on Apple products through your school. The Macbook Pro that you describe sells for $1969 for students and faculty at Harvard (other schools would provide similar discounts), and the Apple Care plan cost $239.

For those schools that do not have their own Apple Store, student discounts can be received by going directly to Apple:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing

Yes the overall cost is still $800 higher, but this does lower the difference in price (versus $1k higher ... lol).
FTFY. OK, so w/ Apple Care on a student discount at Harvard it's $2208 v. the Dell configuration including the promotion is still $1430 ...
haus wrote: The Apple does not have a BlueRay player, but BlueRay playback on such a small screen provides little, if any enhancement over a DVD. And the Dell has the significant disadvantage of being supported by Dell.
This is the best laptop screen on the market. I kid you not, the DVD/Blu-ray difference is quite significant at this resolution. Did I forget to mention 1080p? Working on this is a dream come true, and the MBP screen outputs maximum 1,680-by-1,050.
kalvano wrote:
Does not compute.
This is the XPS line. I have no factual basis for my assumption, but considering Dell manufactures Alienware as well, I'd assume they would ensure similar quality for their flagship premium line. I'm also basing my "best desktop replacement laptop" statement on various reviews/research/editor's choice awards heralding the two laptops. I wouldn't mind doing a comparison to an Acer/Asus equivalent if you're going to be snarky about it! My bet is it'll still be substantially cheaper.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”