Mac or PC? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jdhonest

Bronze

Re: Mac or PC?

Post by jdhonest » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:46 pm

kalvano wrote:
tiniestdancer7 wrote:i know pretty much nothing so macbook air it is! i like how small it is

Which is a perfectly valid reason for buying it.

If your argument for or against either a Mac or a PC consists of anything other than personal preference, odds are it's wrong.
lol, wut?

If your argument for preferring one machine to the other is not based on your preference, then it's wrong. Doesn't that go without saying, or do you mean to articulate a different idea?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:49 pm

jdhonest wrote:
kalvano wrote:
tiniestdancer7 wrote:i know pretty much nothing so macbook air it is! i like how small it is

Which is a perfectly valid reason for buying it.

If your argument for or against either a Mac or a PC consists of anything other than personal preference, odds are it's wrong.
lol, wut?

If your argument for preferring one machine to the other is not based on your preference, then it's wrong. Doesn't that go without saying, or do you mean to articulate a different idea?

No. I see plenty of people arguing that one is objectively better than the other for "x" reason.

jdhonest

Bronze

Post by jdhonest » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:50 pm

No. I see plenty of people arguing that one is objectively better than the other for "x" reason.
But isn't "x" reason ultimately a preference? (I do see how a preference can be disguised as something more, but ultimately...)

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:54 pm

jdhonest wrote:
But isn't "x" reason ultimately a preference? (I do see how a preference can be disguised as something more, but ultimately...)

1) Macs are better than PC's because they just work!
2) Macs use better parts!
3) Macs don't get viruses!
4) Etc.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:01 pm

jdhonest wrote:
No. If I need my laptop to act as a shield for stay bullets, I'm not going to pick an expensive, bulky toughbook because.. I LIKE IT..

I'm going to buy it because it can stop a fucking bullet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:01 pm

kalvano wrote:
jdhonest wrote:

4) Etc.
You're forgetting the mac genuses.

You'll never be alone, ever again.

jdhonest

Bronze

Post by jdhonest » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:14 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
kalvano wrote:
jdhonest wrote:

4) Etc.
You're forgetting the mac genuses.

You'll never be alone, ever again.

(LOL) I see your point. OTOH, it seems that most of those statement are hyperbole, and if boiled down to a more reasonable statement which reflected the same idea, then I think it is still really a preference. For example, I hear the "use better parts" argument a lot, typically followed with an explanation of how the keyboard is better or the screen, yada yada. Isn't that person really just saying, "I like the screen that comes on macs better..." "Or, I like what I consider to be 'working' better in a mac". For a lot of mac owners, the fact that the machine is functional upon opening with little delay is what they mean by "just works." But specific arguments aside, I really do think it's just a preference thing with people too silly to be that their "objective" criteria is just something they like.

You make a good point nonetheless.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:54 pm

PCs are better than Macs, because they don't rely on Steve Jobs's life force to function.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:16 am

This is what I don't get: Someone wants to get a new computer, so they go spend double the price of a Windows machine from a normal manufacturer on a Mac because of its "premium parts" and it's simplicity. Has this person ever heard of Falcon Northwest or any similar, boutique "PC" manufacturers that offer a vastly superior, premium, similarly-priced product with infinitely better customization? No.

Who spends more money on advertising?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:58 am

zonto wrote:This is what I don't get: Someone wants to get a new computer, so they go spend double the price of a Windows machine from a normal manufacturer on a Mac because of its "premium parts" and it's simplicity. Has this person ever heard of Falcon Northwest or any similar, boutique "PC" manufacturers that offer a vastly superior, premium, similarly-priced product with infinitely better customization? No.

It does not help that these systems are still straddled with Windows.

The prices for the boutique shops well exceed that of most Apple systems, and are not as well suited for most people use. I would much rather have a metal shell for my laptop given the inherent added strength for the case then 'custom painted' plastic shell. While the optical drive is quickly moving towards obsolescence most PC manufactures still relay on tray mounted units that scream cheap from a mile away.

Buying a laptop from a fringe vendor is simply asking for trouble. Good luck on sorting out driver issues when the manufacture goes out of business or is purchased by a larger company that simply wants a neat name/logo to add to their marketing slides.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:07 am

haus wrote:
zonto wrote:This is what I don't get: Someone wants to get a new computer, so they go spend double the price of a Windows machine from a normal manufacturer on a Mac because of its "premium parts" and it's simplicity. Has this person ever heard of Falcon Northwest or any similar, boutique "PC" manufacturers that offer a vastly superior, premium, similarly-priced product with infinitely better customization? No.

It does not help that these systems are still straddled with Windows.

The prices for the boutique shops well exceed that of most Apple systems, and are not as well suited for most people use. I would much rather have a metal shell for my laptop given the inherent added strength for the case then 'custom painted' plastic shell. While the optical drive is quickly moving towards obsolescence most PC manufactures still relay on tray mounted units that scream cheap from a mile away.

Buying a laptop from a fringe vendor is simply asking for trouble. Good luck on sorting out driver issues when the manufacture goes out of business or is purchased by a larger company that simply wants a neat name/logo to add to their marketing slides.
Macbooks are plastic shells.

Tray mounted drives are much more reliable and less prone to disk damage than the slot drives. You try having a very important disk get lodged into one of those drives. Good. Luck.

Most boutique shops in this fashion use standard manufacturer parts. You can just go to the manufacturer's website for these drivers.

If you get an Apple, enjoy spending 30 bucks on a yearly patch plus ~130 for warranty, yearly as well.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:20 am

thunderflesh wrote: If you want to tinker with your computer a bunch, get a PC.
I disagree with this point, I have been in the IT industry for a long time (~15 years), working on my Masters in IT, participate in Open Source projects, I tinker endlessly. I prefer Mac to Windows for tinkering around with, primarily due to the BSD based operating system is simply much more useable from the command line then the command shell that exist in Windows.

In case any WIndows command line geeks actually read this forum, yes I know about Power Shell, but I still prefer bash.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:31 am

ResolutePear wrote: Macbooks are plastic shells.

Tray mounted drives are much more reliable and less prone to disk damage than the slot drives. You try having a very important disk get lodged into one of those drives. Good. Luck.

Most boutique shops in this fashion use standard manufacturer parts. You can just go to the manufacturer's website for these drivers.

If you get an Apple, enjoy spending 30 bucks on a yearly patch plus ~130 for warranty, yearly as well.
BS, I have a stack of laptops sitting in the lab with broken DVD trays.

Yes the MacBook is a plastic shell system, but it also cost less than the a boutique system.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:38 am

haus wrote:
ResolutePear wrote: Macbooks are plastic shells.

BS, I have a stack of laptops sitting in the lab with broken DVD trays.

Yes the MacBook is a plastic shell system, but it also cost less than the a boutique system.
Manhandling the dvd drive trays are a whole different thing, And even then, people don't lose their disks.

ibuyPower has laptops at cost with macbooks, with better specs and a longer standard warranty. Apple practically forces their AppleCare down your throat at the store.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:52 am

ResolutePear wrote: ibuyPower has laptops at cost with macbooks, with better specs and a longer standard warranty. Apple practically forces their AppleCare down your throat at the store.
Never heard of them.

Anyone aspiring to be a lawyer that feels they cannot handle a clerk at an Apple store should consider another line of work.
Last edited by haus on Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:55 am

haus wrote:
ResolutePear wrote: Manhandling the dvd drive trays are a whole different thing, And even then, people don't lose their disks.

ibuyPower has laptops at cost with macbooks, with better specs and a longer standard warranty. Apple practically forces their AppleCare down your throat at the store.
Never heard of them.

Anyone aspiring to be a lawyer that feels they cannot handle a clerk at an Apple store should consider another line of work.
Where is lawyers come from? Are lawyers snapping dvd trays on you?

Now, this is an interesting tangent.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:06 am

ResolutePear wrote: ibuyPower has laptops at cost with macbooks...
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." Homer Simpson

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Simpsons-118 ... new-TV.htm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:27 am

haus wrote:
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." Homer Simpson

Hey, it's not my fault that you haven't caught up with the times, gramps.

http://www.engadget.com/tag/ibuypower

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:50 am

ResolutePear wrote:
haus wrote:

Sorry, I do not take advice from AOL. Nor should anyone else that is capable of breathing.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:30 am

haus wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
haus wrote:

Sorry, I do not take advice from AOL. Nor should anyone else that is capable of breathing.
Not my problem if you fail to understand the exercise of showing you a query from a technology blog. :roll:

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:15 am

ResolutePear wrote: Not my problem if you fail to understand the exercise of showing you a query from a technology blog. :roll:
To bad you are not informed enough to know that your link is to a AOL media company. They have less credibility than advertisements printed on toliet paper, although given your reasoning skills, I am sure there advice is perfect for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:25 am

haus wrote:
ResolutePear wrote: Not my problem if you fail to understand the exercise of showing you a query from a technology blog. :roll:
To bad you are not informed enough to know that your link is to a AOL media company. They have less credibility than advertisements printed on toliet paper, although given your reasoning skills, I am sure there advice is perfect for you.
Since we're throwing around grade school insults here, how about you go correct your grammar? :lol:

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:35 am

ResolutePear wrote:
haus wrote:
Since we're throwing around grade school insults here, how about you go correct your grammar? :lol:
The gammer expressed here is better than what would normally be found on AOL media sites, and their grammar is better then their technology. :)

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:41 am

haus wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
haus wrote:
The gammer expressed here is better than what would normally be found on AOL media sites, and their grammar is better then their technology. :)
I'm sure Forbes would agree with you. /sarcasm

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:50 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
haus wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
haus wrote:To bad you are not informed enough to know that your link is to a AOL media company. They have less credibility than advertisements printed on toliet paper, although given your reasoning skills, I am sure there advice is perfect for you.
I'm sure Forbes would agree with you. /sarcasm
You guys are adorable. :o

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”