Interest in taking science courses during law school Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Re: Interest in taking science courses during law school

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:39 pm

stratocophic wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
That's vector calc. Which I took as a freshman in 1997, before graphing calculators were banned from it, even at my "crappy school."
I have never had a class where I could use a graphing calculator from Trig on up since my junior year in high school. I guess classes were easier back then.

I just brought up the first math exam I saw at MIT. I have never seen a proper math class, mine or ANYONE else's, allow a calculator. And as for physics/chem, scientific calculators only.
TBF I've never seen a proper engineer use electronic cheating; every reputable employer I've known eschewed the modern devilry of ProE and Solidworks for hand drafting. If you can't draw it, you don't really understand it. Same for calculators. They do their calculations on the backs of envelopes rather than on TI-89s because it's the right way to do it, dammit. Multiplication with a machine? Might as well legalize steroids in baseball. I for one yearn for the good old days when men were REAL men, women were REAL women, and asbestos was considered a REALLY great building material because people didn't know any better.
Said like a true engineer.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:54 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
That's vector calc. Which I took as a freshman in 1997, before graphing calculators were banned from it, even at my "crappy school."
I have never had a class where I could use a graphing calculator from Trig on up since my junior year in high school. I guess classes were easier back then.

I just brought up the first math exam I saw at MIT. I have never seen a proper math class, mine or ANYONE else's, allow a calculator. And as for physics/chem, scientific calculators only.
TBF I've never seen a proper engineer use electronic cheating; every reputable employer I've known eschewed the modern devilry of ProE and Solidworks for hand drafting. If you can't draw it, you don't really understand it. Same for calculators. They do their calculations on the backs of envelopes rather than on TI-89s because it's the right way to do it, dammit. Multiplication with a machine? Might as well legalize steroids in baseball. I for one yearn for the good old days when men were REAL men, women were REAL women, and asbestos was considered a REALLY great building material because people didn't know any better.
Said like a true engineer.
:lol: You know it. I can't tell you how much complaining my class did anytime a professor said 'there's an easier way to do this (aka software where you put in the numbers and get correct answers)... but you aren't allowed to use it

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:00 pm

stratocophic wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:I have never had a class where I could use a graphing calculator from Trig on up since my junior year in high school. I guess classes were easier back then.

This wasn't the response this bullshit needed, but it was the response it deserved.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:06 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:I have never had a class where I could use a graphing calculator from Trig on up since my junior year in high school. I guess classes were easier back then.

This wasn't the response this bullshit needed, but it was the response it deserved.
--ImageRemoved--

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:33 pm

This sounds like a terrible idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:56 pm

d34dluk3 wrote: This wasn't the response this bullshit needed, but it was the response it deserved.
:roll:

If you seriously think I am a luddite, you have to be willfully ignorant.

The conceptual reason for advanced math to not require a calculator is effectively a move from numbers based thinking to variables based thinking. I think this is why there is such a divide between people in the sciences and engineers for this

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”