Law School Resume Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
3|ink

Platinum

Law School Resume

Post by 3|ink » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:43 am

This is probably the dumbest question ever asked on TLS, but should my law school resume include my address and contact info just like a normal resume or should I just put my name at the top?

krad

Gold

Re: Law School Resume

Post by krad » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:52 am

FWIW I included that info. I used this sample as a guide: http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-school-resume.html

edit: This sample: http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-school-resume.html

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:26 am

since you are applying for law school, you need to include all aspects of your resume.

that includes name, address, and contact info.

if you are totally unsure of how to put a resume together, contact career services at your school, or search this website and others.

Magi228

New

Post by Magi228 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:42 am

I am wondering about the resume as well. Specifically, I am wondering if I should include the academic information at all. Listing degree expected, university name, and GPA seems kind of redundant if I am also submitting a transcript,

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:54 am

Magi228 wrote:I am wondering about the resume as well. Specifically, I am wondering if I should include the academic information at all. Listing degree expected, university name, and GPA seems kind of redundant if I am also submitting a transcript,
You probably should include all of that.

Thanks for the help people! I've created job resume's before, but never a school resume. Should I cite the semesters I made the dean's list on my resume? There are only two and I feel like I'd be better off leaving them wondering.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:06 pm

I did not include contact info, as they have it in front of them and it saved space.. for better or worse!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:47 pm

The only thing I took out was objective. I'm sure they already know that one.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:51 pm

AreJay711 wrote:The only thing I took out was objective. I'm sure they already know that one.
*Removes 'Objective' from his Resume*

Silver

Post by 2807 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:57 pm

arism87 wrote:I did not include contact info, as they have it in front of them and it saved space.. for better or worse!

I'm with you. Yikes, I just figured this was one of many things they had in a package (including the detailed application with all info--redundantly)

But, sheesh, now of course I second guess.. Oh well. In retrospect, I would have included it. The instructions generally say to include a resume. Well, a resume should have that info on it. Period.

Drat. O well, I am such an extreme reverse splitter and non-traditional student that these things will not matter anywhere near as much as the big stuff. ( I hope )

But, for my fellow TLS friends-- I would say: put it all on there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:41 pm

i took out objective and summary: Both are necessary for real world interviews, but not necessary for school admissions ( objective is obvious, summary they will make that decision on their own)

As for the post about deans list- I was on the deans list every semester, and did not put it on my resume. I did put the fact that I graduated summa cum laude, ( so it is pretty obvious that I was on the deans list) as well as my final gpa ( damn you lsac gpa- way to lower it to magna cum laude status!/ end rant).

Since this is an academic resume, i put my academic info at the top, even though its been 4+ years since ive been in college, and i have work experience. If it was a work resume, i would put applicable work history before schooling, but since your objective is being accepted to an academic institution academic information should be emphasized.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:08 pm

northwood wrote:i took out objective and summary: Both are necessary for real world interviews, but not necessary for school admissions ( objective is obvious, summary they will make that decision on their own)

As for the post about deans list- I was on the deans list every semester, and did not put it on my resume. I did put the fact that I graduated summa cum laude, ( so it is pretty obvious that I was on the deans list) as well as my final gpa ( damn you lsac gpa- way to lower it to magna cum laude status!/ end rant).

Since this is an academic resume, i put my academic info at the top, even though its been 4+ years since ive been in college, and i have work experience. If it was a work resume, i would put applicable work history before schooling, but since your objective is being accepted to an academic institution academic information should be emphasized.
Ditto, I also included my academic information first and I'm 3 years out of college.

I did, however, include the dean's list and put the years that I was on the list (because, sadly, I was not on it all 4 years :roll:).

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:53 pm

Should I include high school summer work experience? Retail job first semester at A&F?
PLEASE DON'T QUOTE.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:05 pm

High school stuff should be left off unless it's really impressive/unique (winning gold medals, founding tech startups, substantial acting jobs, etc.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:05 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:PLEASE DON'T QUOTE.
Lol.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:04 pm

This
ZVBXRPL wrote:Should I include high school summer work experience? Retail job first semester at A&F?
PLEASE DON'T QUOTE.
is how you lol, person above me.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:00 am

Danger Zone wrote:This
ZVBXRPL wrote:Should I include high school summer work experience? Retail job first semester at A&F?
PLEASE DON'T QUOTE.
is how you lol, person above me.
A+ would lol again

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:34 pm

i've gathered that it's not a great idea to include high school activities/etc. on the resume... still, i received an award/travel grant at my high school graduation for excelling in my language studies. Since I continued to study this language in college, studied abroad, and continued on after undergrad to do some translating for a small non-profit, would it maybe be be appropriate to mention the award/grant? thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:38 am

Marshmallow wrote:i've gathered that it's not a great idea to include high school activities/etc. on the resume... still, i received an award/travel grant at my high school graduation for excelling in my language studies. Since I continued to study this language in college, studied abroad, and continued on after undergrad to do some translating for a small non-profit, would it maybe be be appropriate to mention the award/grant? thanks
Since it was granted at graduation, you could put it under education with your undergrad honors. List it last, since it's the longest ago. And make sure it has a brief description making it clear what it is. e.g. Ronald McDonald Language Studies Grant, 2007. Awarded yearly to a Podunk High School graduate to fund summer language study abroad before entering college.

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:28 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:i've gathered that it's not a great idea to include high school activities/etc. on the resume... still, i received an award/travel grant at my high school graduation for excelling in my language studies. Since I continued to study this language in college, studied abroad, and continued on after undergrad to do some translating for a small non-profit, would it maybe be be appropriate to mention the award/grant? thanks
Since it was granted at graduation, you could put it under education with your undergrad honors. List it last, since it's the longest ago. And make sure it has a brief description making it clear what it is. e.g. Ronald McDonald Language Studies Grant, 2007. Awarded yearly to a Podunk High School graduate to fund summer language study abroad before entering college.
thanks for the help!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”