How would you spend a year off? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Momentum

New

How would you spend a year off?

Post by Momentum » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:21 pm

I just decided that I'm going to take a year off after undergrad to study hardcore for the LSAT. Unfortunately, that won't take up all my time. What would you do with yourself? Work? Travel? Write a novel? Volunteer? The end goal is, of course, making my LS Application sexier, but I would prefer if I found it fulfilling. What would you do?

Sentry

Silver

Re: How would you spend a year off?

Post by Sentry » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:30 pm

If I had no strings holding me down I would take two years off and join the Peace Corps.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:40 pm

I'm struggling with the same question myself. I want to do something that I enjoy, but don't want to weaken my resume by making it look like I just like to travel and am afraid of commitment.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:44 pm

The only way I would take a year off is if I had a job. Some of the things you've listed are unlikely to make your application sexier: a novel probably won't get published, much less within a year, travel is not a soft, etc... WE, on the other hand, will help you in admissions and beyond.

Momentum

New

Post by Momentum » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm

Sentry wrote:If I had no strings holding me down I would take two years off and join the Peace Corps.
That would be great... Unfortunately it sounds like we both have just enough strings to keep us from being so flippant.
2014 wrote:I'm struggling with the same question myself. I want to do something that I enjoy, but don't want to weaken my resume by making it look like I just like to travel and am afraid of commitment.
Exactly. And it would cost a good chunk of money that could be spend on Ramen noodles during LS. Would it be most impressive to just try to work as a runner for a law firm or something?
BaiAilian2013 wrote:The only way I would take a year off is if I had a job. Some of the things you've listed are unlikely to make your application sexier: a novel probably won't get published, much less within a year, travel is not a soft, etc... WE, on the other hand, will help you in admissions and beyond.
I was being a bit facetious with the novel suggestion. Concerning WE, what kind of job would you get? Are law-related jobs what they want to see? What do you think?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:59 pm

I've said this before, but I'd really recommend working abroad (whether its teaching English abroad or something else). This way you are making money, have the opportunity to travel, get a fresh prespective on life and your future, force yourself out of your comfort zone, and meet people you would've never met otherwise. I am absolutely loving my gap year.

Zania

New

Post by Zania » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:14 pm

On the same boat as you--I'm going to be working (continue with same job) and getting a financial analysis certificate, and maybe taking an art class or something.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:20 pm

If you can only take a year off and you don't need to worry terribly about income, I would recommend trying to find an internship in a field that interests you (don't worry about how it connects to the law) and some volunteer experience that will speak to your strengths (ie don't scoop food at a soup kitchen unless you can also do some organizational stuff that shows your skills or look for something that will let you tutor younger disadvantaged kids).

I think these are valuable because:

1) You will learn a lot about yourself, the people you help and the group you intern with.
2) You will give yourself fodder to use in future interviews to talk about your skills and personality in a real-world environment without the hassle of trying to find a real job that will keep you for only a year.
3) You get to do non-money driven things that will be difficult for you to take the time to do in the future.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:22 pm

I was considering taking 1 year off too, but really would prefer to just take 1 instead of 2+ off. I'm applying to City Year at the moment because of that and would love to hear other good 1 year ideas. All I would need is something that keeps the bills paid and a little bit of food on the table.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:25 pm

Deuce wrote:I was considering taking 1 year off too, but really would prefer to just take 1 instead of 2+ off. I'm applying to City Year at the moment because of that and would love to hear other good 1 year ideas. All I would need is something that keeps the bills paid and a little bit of food on the table.
:lol:

I thought about doing City Year until I met some people in City Year.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:27 pm

paratactical wrote:
Deuce wrote:I was considering taking 1 year off too, but really would prefer to just take 1 instead of 2+ off. I'm applying to City Year at the moment because of that and would love to hear other good 1 year ideas. All I would need is something that keeps the bills paid and a little bit of food on the table.

Haha yea yea I've heard it's not the best... I'm applying at the moment since, well, I don't have any other plans at the moment. I'm about 90% sure I'll be going to lawl school right out of UG anyway... just want the options on the table yaknow?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Deuce wrote:
paratactical wrote:

Haha yea yea I've heard it's not the best... I'm applying at the moment since, well, I don't have any other plans at the moment. I'm about 90% sure I'll be going to lawl school right out of UG anyway... just want the options on the table yaknow?
I totally I understand! Your comment just made me remember how strange they all were and, coming from me, that's pretty bad!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:30 pm

I hear construction is pretty good with all the stimulus money floating around.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Sentry wrote:If I had no strings holding me down I would take two years off and join the Peace Corps.
Actually doing this. Couldn't be more excited to leave!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:48 pm

Im getting teach for America lined up in case I strike out with my apps. Find something that you would like doing but won't get a chance to do once you start law school.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:54 pm

Are you a Poli. Sci. major? Start a grassroots campaign to get something(anything) legislated. Even if it only makes it to a ballot, I think that'd be a great way to justify taking a year off and would perhaps be a soft or interesting thing to talk about in whatever interviews you get.

jeff5170

New

Post by jeff5170 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:56 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Im getting teach for America lined up in case I strike out with my apps. Find something that you would like doing but won't get a chance to do once you start law school.
This. You're not going to make a massive difference in you apps just a year out of school, for the better or worse. Find something you'll enjoy and do it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DrOctagon

New

Post by DrOctagon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:13 am

I applied to schools during my senior year and am now deferring to take classes that will help me specialize during law school. I think that a year off could best be utilized to equip yourself with skills that will set you apart from your classmates and make you indispensable to employers six years down the line.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:18 am

DrOctagon wrote:I applied to schools during my senior year and am now deferring to take classes that will help me specialize during law school. I think that a year off could best be utilized to equip yourself with skills that will set you apart from your classmates and make you indispensable to employers six years down the line.
Specialize?

CPA or Engineering?

DrOctagon

New

Post by DrOctagon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:24 am

In my case, software engineering but it really depends on what you want to do and what the strengths are at the school(s) you plan on attending.

Obviously some types of litigation don't require any kind of specialized expertise. These are the ones that scare me because if anyone can do it, they become the most competitive, and at the top levels (or at a firm) your prospects for advancement may depend on criteria other than pure merit.

fugitivejammer

Bronze

Post by fugitivejammer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:22 pm

Well...I know i'll be overseas during my year off. Only problem is, i'll b in Afghanistan >.<

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”