work experience - apply now or wait?? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Should I apply now or wait until next cycle?

Apply now
50%
Wait a year
50%

Total votes: 4

whateveryoulike

New

work experience - apply now or wait??

Post by whateveryoulike » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:48 pm

So my stats are 168/3.9x and I'm non-URM. I'm looking to go to a T-20 school and I'm a little unsure of what field I want to do (PI, biglaw, gov't). I graduated from my UG this past May and I *just* got an entry-level management job at a rental car agency working full-time (my first FT job). I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me answer.

I'm considering waiting to apply until next cycle, based mostly on the fact that when I start work in a week or two, by the time I get to law school, I will only have around 9 months FT work experience under my belt. Will this hurt me when looking for a SA position or for post-law school jobs? Would waiting a year and getting an additional year of FT work experience under my belt be worth waiting another year to apply? I'm really worried my lack of WE is going to ding me when looking for jobs. Is this a dumb reason to hold off applying, or will it actually matter?

I've spent so much time hounding my recommendors, tweaking my PS and DS to perfection, and researching schools that I feel like if I don't apply now, that's all wasted. I know it's not, but it just feels that way. I was so excited to apply, but I really want to give myself the best chance I can at not only getting into law school, but getting a job after. Any advice on the whole waiting a year/applying now thing would be greatly, greatly appreciated!!!

whateveryoulike

New

Re: work experience - apply now or wait??

Post by whateveryoulike » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:07 pm

Anybody? If another year of WE at a semi-menial job won't give me a significant advantage in landing a post-law school job, I'm going to be sending apps out on Monday! eek!

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:27 pm

The year of WE can't hurt, anecedotally I know of a handful of 2Ls at my school that believe having a year of WE gave them a leg up in recruiting (since you have a more reasonable understanding of working life). Those I know with WE seemed to perform better than those who had none, although I only have a very small sample size to judge.

whateveryoulike

New

Post by whateveryoulike » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:46 am

Thanks - that is helpful. I guess the fact that it can only help means I'll just apply super early next round. Maybe I'll take the time to consider an LSAT retake as well. Haha, ughhh

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:49 pm

If it comes down to it you may also be able to defer for a year so that you won't have to go through the application process all over again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”