Crisis of Faith Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Nailjohnj

Bronze

Crisis of Faith

Post by Nailjohnj » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:52 pm

So I am at a crossroads and I need some help. I am in the application process right now, getting everything sorted out for my 20-some applications and I am starting to ask myself if this is worth it. I have taken the LSAT twice scoring 163 on the first and 165 on the second. I messed up big time on one game on Oct. and that is what brought my score down from what I thought would be a 168-170. I know these are OK scores, but the downside is that I have a 2.88 LSAC GPA. I was put on probation my first semester after I transferred to a new school because my job caused me to be late to an exam which caused me to get an F for the class and destroyed my GPA. I got out of the next semester, but only barely, moved to a job that had a more flexible schedule and finished off my scholastic career with a 3.21 over the final 2 years and deans list in my final semester. I can't help but feel that I haven't just shot myself in the leg with this one bad year, but rather planted a land mine then decided to crawl right over it.

I am really interested in a law career, but my question is, is it going to be worth it? Will I be able to get into a decent enough school to be able to get a decent enough job to pay off the almost certain high debt load? Will I have any shot at a scholly at any school that is worth going to? Maybe I am just drinking too much of the "Tier 1 or Bust" kool-aid that permeates this site, but this is starting to keep me up at night. I know this is long winded, but I just wanted to put everything on the table and see if I can get a real response that will help me with this issue. Thanks for the look

The Gentleman

Silver

Re: Crisis of Faith

Post by The Gentleman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:09 pm

The
Nailjohnj wrote:I am really interested in a law career, but my question is, is it going to be worth it? Will I be able to get into a decent enough school to be able to get a decent enough job to pay off the almost certain high debt load? Will I have any shot at a scholly at any school that is worth going to?
These are all pretty subjective questions OP.

But from the sounds of it, you've invested quite a bit of time and effort in your pursuit of law school. Give those apps your best shot and wait to see what happens. If your not satisfied with the outcome, then you're under no obligation to attend/take on debt. You've only lost $1k (I'm guessing in LSAC/app fees) which is a drop in the bucket compared to law school debt.

PS If you feel confident in your ability to score a 168-170, then apply now and retake in Dec. It could do wonders for scholly $$$/waitlists.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:48 am

Consider a retake. Law school will always be here.

In lieu of that, you just have to decide for yourself what kind of risk you are willing to take. Going to any law school at any price entails SOME risk, you just have to figure out where the line is for you. I think the first step is just figuring out WHERE you may want to pursue a legal career (as most law schools are very regional), and then look at your options within those areas. This will at least help to narrow down the options. Then look at the schools in that area, do some research on how students are doing in this economy, evaluate your chances at scholarships, and start applying accordingly.

There is kind of this mentality around here that it sucks everywhere and if you don't go to T14 it just isn't worth it. Well... okay yeah it does suck everywhere, that part is true. But some places suck to less degrees. If the region you want to work in is less saturated, then it may not be as big of a risk, despite the school being relatively lower ranked (Colorado is a good example). Like I said though, any decision is a risk and you just have to figure out the right balance for yourself.

ZachOda

Bronze

Post by ZachOda » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:51 am

See what comes out of this cycle. From your post, you are obviously invested in becoming a lawyer. You want this. Don't let the thought of debt completely deter you from pursuing your career. Worst comes to worst, take a year off, get some work experience, polish an addendum explaining your GPA, and study for the LSATS one last time. Law school will always be there, don't rush it. But if you want it now, take it.

Hope this helps.

PS: take traehekat's advice. A huge help to me figuring out my law school path, don't let this wisdom go by the wayside.

Nailjohnj

Bronze

Post by Nailjohnj » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:49 am

You want this
You're right, I really do and I appreciate the responses. I guess it does make sense to see how the cycle plays out before I worry about this. I think my situation just comes down to apps and going after the right schools. So, I'll send out these 21 apps (and anymore with fee waivers that come in) then get a feel of where I am going from there. I would appreciate what people think woulld be my best bet for ED between George Mason, Washington & Lee, or Indiana Bloomington. I know ED means paying sticker, but I figure these schools will give a good shot at being able to pay everything off with a good job.

Also
If you feel confident in your ability to score a 168-170, then apply now and retake in Dec. It could do wonders for scholly $$$/waitlists
I can do this to get off waitlists? Can I do it in Feb. as well as a last ditch effort to get off some lists? Do I need to inform the schools that I am taking another LSAT when I'm applying or wait to see how everything pans out? thanks eveybody

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”