To, or not to go to law school (right away) Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Kuya de Martyr

New

To, or not to go to law school (right away)

Post by Kuya de Martyr » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:06 am

Hi all,

I've been lurking these forums this weekend after I took my very first PLSAT (147). I am an AA male and I currently attend one of the higher ranked University of California schools (39 overall, 9 public). To put it simply, I'm trying to decide if I want to work in the field of Finance right after I graduate and attend an MBA program later, attend law school right after graduation and possibly dual enroll in an MBA program, just a attend law school right after college, or work and wait to do both later in life (2-5 years). I figure the opportunity cost of not going to a T30 law school would be higher than getting a job right after college.

My reasoning for attending law school include: being a former foster youth wanting to effect policy in CA, the job market flexibility of the degree, the skill set acquired from law school, and the knowledge base I need if I were to start up a therapeutic non-profit for foster youth.

My reasoning for pursuing business include: my genuine interest in markets and the idea of demystifying corporate America, my majors and current skill set make me a good candidate for a few lucrative financial positions (so I think) if I play my cars right, and again, the knowledge base I need if I were to start up a therapeutic non-profit for foster youth.

Quick facts about me: I'm supporting myself in college with a part-time job and a lot of financial aid (no help from family whatsoever). I am the first in my family to attend college. I am an AA male. I am a former foster youth.

Here's what my current resume looks like (a rough draft from yesterday): --LinkRemoved--

ANY SUGGESTIONS, INSIGHTS, et cetera is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thank you

Danteshek

Gold

Re: To, or not to go to law school (right away)

Post by Danteshek » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:10 am

You don't really sound ready for law school. I suggest you getting a few years (3-5) of full time work experience after you graduate.

Kuya de Martyr

New

Post by Kuya de Martyr » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:44 am

Danteshek wrote:You don't really sound ready for law school. I suggest you getting a few years (3-5) of full time work experience after you graduate.
Hi. Can you please elaborate on your post?

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:52 am

Kuya de Martyr wrote:
Danteshek wrote:You don't really sound ready for law school. I suggest you getting a few years (3-5) of full time work experience after you graduate.
Hi. Can you please elaborate on your post?
Dude, the fact that you’re asking complete strangers if you should attend law school would suggest that you should (probably) wait a while. :roll:

Kuya de Martyr

New

Post by Kuya de Martyr » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:08 am

I believe I should wait and see if law school really is for me with professional work experience. I see no need to rush, especially if I can get decent job offers.

I guess what I really meant to ask is, what are some very specific reasons why my peers are considering law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Kuya de Martyr wrote:Hi all,

I've been lurking these forums this weekend after I took my very first PLSAT (147). I am an AA male and I currently attend one of the higher ranked University of California schools (39 overall, 9 public). To put it simply, I'm trying to decide if I want to work in the field of Finance right after I graduate and attend an MBA program later, attend law school right after graduation and possibly dual enroll in an MBA program, just a attend law school right after college, or work and wait to do both later in life (2-5 years). I figure the opportunity cost of not going to a T30 law school would be higher than getting a job right after college.

My reasoning for attending law school include: being a former foster youth wanting to effect policy in CA, the job market flexibility of the degree, the skill set acquired from law school, and the knowledge base I need if I were to start up a therapeutic non-profit for foster youth.

My reasoning for pursuing business include: my genuine interest in markets and the idea of demystifying corporate America, my majors and current skill set make me a good candidate for a few lucrative financial positions (so I think) if I play my cars right, and again, the knowledge base I need if I were to start up a therapeutic non-profit for foster youth.

Quick facts about me: I'm supporting myself in college with a part-time job and a lot of financial aid (no help from family whatsoever). I am the first in my family to attend college. I am an AA male. I am a former foster youth.

Here's what my current resume looks like (a rough draft from yesterday): --LinkRemoved--

ANY SUGGESTIONS, INSIGHTS, et cetera is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thank you
If you do feel ready for the law school, spend the next months prepping for the LSAT. If your goal is the top 30, you need much higher than a 147. I would suggest taking the test in February or June, depending on your rate of progress. Then, you can reap the benefits of applying very early next cycle.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:11 pm

By therapeautic, do you mean the main purpose of your non-profit would be to provide counseling? If that is what you want to do, maybe an MSW would make the most sense.

Broncsfan

New

Post by Broncsfan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:38 pm

Check out LSAT blog for a good study schedule. I'm taking in four months and I'm using this one:

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/4- ... -plan.html

Good Luck!

Kuya de Martyr

New

Post by Kuya de Martyr » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Thank you for your responses thus far. I really appreciate it!

By therapeutic, I do mean counseling but more so in a total care package (shelter, hospitality, programs fo self improvement, education etc). However, this is just an idea in response to the inefficient foster care system in CA. I would feel more gratitude in effecting change in children's lives directly on a smaller scale while trying to effect state (and many federal) policy at the same time. ~Something along those lines.

I know a 147 is complete garbage, but again, I walked into the test cold. Thank you for the reference link to study strategies. I think I'll definitely employ these strategies for the upcoming June LSAT (plan to start law in 2013) because I definitely need a year off to clear my mind. I have explored and considered many careers (nursing, medicine, psychology, social work, business, etc and now law).

I know I have the talent and potential to do something big, so I'll try until I fail if I fail, and it's reasonably wise to stop pursuing a just cause. Law is appealing to me in many ways because I see it similar to the study of Economics and I love Economics.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:05 pm

FWIW, if children's rights is what you want to do, you do not need to go to a top law school. Just go to any law school in Socal and volunteer with The Children's Law Center of Los Angeles

--LinkRemoved--

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:51 am

Why not get a JD/MBA program? There are quite a few available, and you could do both at once.

I can't make any recommendations, as I don't know your GPA. Your PLSAT wasn't high, so I would recommend trying to get some prep books (I recommend the Bibles) which you may be able to find relatively cheap through Craigslist.

Also, you shouldn't go to schools where you incrue lots of loans. Financial aid and loans are not the same thing, but if you haven't already, you should apply for independent status (if you are under 24). That might help you have less debt, and more aid.

That said... only you really know whether or not you are ready. You sound, from the outside, a little indecisive, but no one can make that decision for you. Both a JD and an MBA take a LOT of time and work. You may not have time to work part time, so you should really think about whether or not you are ready for a commitment. I took a year off of school between my UG and this next year's cycle. Some schools recommend it, as it alleviates some of the initial stress and feelings of being burnt out. If you don't know where to go, then take a year off to study for the LSAT and the GMAT. You have to take one or both depending on what you want to do, and since the last LSAT you can take this season is the December one, and aid might be gone by then, I'd say take a year off to evaluate where you are going and where you want to be.

Then again, only you can do it, so if you think you can take the LSAT and GMAT and score reasonably, still within the application deadline, and can do well... go for it.

Good luck!! :)

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:38 am

^^^^ Because an MBA is useless if you have zero work experience.

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Sit in on some law school classes if you can. Talk to lawyers. Try to get a job at a firm. I was a volunteer witness at a mock trial conducted by the law school at my university, I thought that was really interesting. If you want to go, don't hold back. My diagnostic LSAT was a 147 too. I practiced so much over the course of a year that I was hitting the low 170s. It can be done, its just about how much work you want to put in to it. Don't listen to people who say that you can not raise your LSAT. Its not a freaking IQ test, it is a test of reading skills and doing silly little games. You can improve a lot with practice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”