. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Platinum

Re: The (un)importance of extra curriculars?

Post by 2014 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:31 pm

I don't think anyone can conclusively say that PS>LOR>EC, they are all weighted different by different schools. The only clear thing is that they are below GPA and LSAT. However, a stunning EC is harder to achieve than a stunning PS or LOR, so in that regard there is more potential to strengthen your app with ECs in my opinion.

Also as a side note, you should consider starting your prep a little earlier and taking the June LSAT. As someone who did it the way you are planning, I wish I would have taken it this June instead and been able to knock my applications out of the way really early instead of having to continue studying for the LSAT during midterms. Plus if you take it in June and don't do so hot, you can retake in September 2011 and still get your apps in early.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:40 pm

They don't matter, but you need to write your Personal statement about something you know? You aren't going to get dinged because you weren't involved enough, and you aren't going to get in because you were the social chair for the sailing club. Nobody cares.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:42 pm

Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Shawh wrote:I have actually considered taking the June LSAT. However, the idea of having summer sans classes to focus my full attention on studying sounds very appealing. At my school (U of Washington), we're on a quarter system, i.e. school starts the last Wednesday of September. Therefore, it's not as if I have to worry much about school right before the test date--which would presumably be about 1-1.5 weeks into the quarter.

There's still plenty of time to mull over that, however.

--

Alright, thanks a bunch Desert Fox. For the most part, my rationale for ECs is to provide me with (at least in some areas) a springboard for the PS.
I wouldn't do anything that doesn't help others, or interest you legitimately. Clubs in undergrad are a great place to meet people, especially people who aren't very extroverted in normal social situations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:29 pm

Shawh wrote:I have actually considered taking the June LSAT. However, the idea of having summer sans classes to focus my full attention on studying sounds very appealing. At my school (U of Washington), we're on a quarter system, i.e. school starts the last Wednesday of September. Therefore, it's not as if I have to worry much about school right before the test date--which would presumably be about 1-1.5 weeks into the quarter.

There's still plenty of time to mull over that, however.
You are probably fine with September then as long as you don't think you will need the option to retake. I assume that means you don't get out for the summer until June, which means you would be studying during finals which would kind of suck.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:34 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”