NYU 1L - Taking ?'s Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TheWire

Bronze

NYU 1L - Taking ?'s

Post by TheWire » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:19 pm

I benefitted from this site last year, so if there are questions, shoot.

High_Hopes

New

Re: NYU 1L - Taking ?'s

Post by High_Hopes » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:20 pm

How many hours a day are you in class?

How many hours a day, when out of class, are you reading?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Do you wish you were at Columbia?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:29 pm

I'll also try to answer questions...

Also, I definitely don't wish I was at Columbia. It was a vibe issue for me.

And though not a great example for reading time (oops), I am in class about four hours on most days. And I read/synthesize stuff about five hours a day.

Miranda 18

New

Post by Miranda 18 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:31 pm

How do you like NYC life? Is it as exciting as most people make it seem?

Are you living off or on campus and was housing difficult for you to find?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:37 pm

Miranda 18 wrote:How do you like NYC life? Is it as exciting as most people make it seem?

Are you living off or on campus and was housing difficult for you to find?
I live very close to the law school and actually like it. Its close to school and near everything I need. I do like NYC life alright...I mean it has everything you could really ever want to do. I think it is exciting how many opportunities there are, but its also very overwhelming (in a good way).

[edited for inaccuracy.]
Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:41 pm

Any ideas on how easy/hard it is to find a pet-friendly apartment close to NYU?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:43 pm

bk187 wrote:Any ideas on how easy/hard it is to find a pet-friendly apartment close to NYU?
Sorry. I don't have a pet.

High_Hopes

New

Post by High_Hopes » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:46 pm

How are the women?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:55 pm

High_Hopes wrote:How are the women?
<--- Is a woman. :)

No but seriously, I have found that the women at NYU are (for the most part) attractive, and also pretty smart. But realistically, if you are looking for trashy undergrads, there are some of those as well.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:55 pm

Any sense what proportion of your class has an already-established NYC life? (I've lived here for four years but still hope I'll be able to make law friends at NYU so I have people to share the misery with me.)

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:58 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Any sense what proportion of your class has an already-established NYC life? (I've lived here for four years but still hope I'll be able to make law friends at NYU so I have people to share the misery with me.)
There are definitely a few people who are from New York and they all seemed pretty open to making friends here. TBH, you are at law school or in the library so much, you are forced to make friends.

Also, wire, sorry for stealing your thread. I will stop now. :)

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
I live on campus and actually like it.
I'm confused by this, NYU doesn't have a campus?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:13 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
I live on campus and actually like it.
I'm confused by this, NYU doesn't have a campus?
They have law school housing that is either 1 block away or three blocks away from the law school (depending on where you live). So I considered it "campus".

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:24 pm

NYU does not have a campus. It has buildings here & there, but no campus.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:NYU does not have a campus. It has buildings here & there, but no campus.
Lol yea let's nitpick! Fuck you friendly NYU 1L for voluntarily fielding questions about your law school experience!!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm

Some might be interested in accurate answers from the friendly student. Asserting that NYU has a campus is the equivalent of claiming that Princeton's law school is better than Dartmouth's.
University housing or university apartments is much more accurate re: NYU.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:38 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Some might be interested in accurate answers from the friendly student. Asserting that NYU has a campus is the equivalent of claiming that Princeton's law school is better than Dartmouth's.
Cool story bro. She explained the reasoning behind her use of the term "campus" in her last post, and it really wasn't so far-fetched that she would be deceiving naive 0Ls who don't know that NYU is in MANFUCKINGHATTAN and, obviously, does not have a "campus" in the sense that Skidmore College does.

Anastasia - could you talk a little bit about the social life? I know you've only been there a month, but I get the feeling that people probably just have their own lives outside LS since there's so much else to do besides fraternize with other students. Has that been your experience?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:11 pm

lawschoollll wrote: Anastasia - could you talk a little bit about the social life? I know you've only been there a month, but I get the feeling that people probably just have their own lives outside LS since there's so much else to do besides fraternize with other students. Has that been your experience?
Um, people do their own thing sometimes (read: go out with non-law school friends) but there is definitely a connectedness in the long school. Every thursday night we have an SBA planned outing and a large number of people go to that and a lot of lawyering sections have happy hours together. There is also lawyering flag football which has wide support. Even a lot of the commuters stay around till six or so just to grab dinner or a drink.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:12 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Some might be interested in accurate answers from the friendly student. Asserting that NYU has a campus is the equivalent of claiming that Princeton's law school is better than Dartmouth's.
University housing or university apartments is much more accurate re: NYU.
And on this note, I'm out. I think TheWire will be around to answer any further questions and if anyone wants my specific opinion, shoot me a PM.

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:24 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:NYU does not have a campus. It has buildings here & there, but no campus.
This is misleading, too, though. While it's true that NYU has no campus the way most universities do, neither are all of NYU's buildings scattershot throughout the city. It now owns most of the buildings that surround Washington Square Park, including the main law building. This means there is a large green space that is surrounded by academic buildings and full college students wandering around/hanging out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:40 pm

You are right. I recently read that NYU is seeking to acquire more properties in the area. But the notion of a college or university campus is far different than the reality of NYU. At the undergraduate level, Princeton Review consistently ranks NYU students as among the least happy students based on current NYU student survey responses. Currently, NYU does not have a campus in the conventional sense. Nor does the internet educator University of Phoenix but it still refers to its campus & campuses.

YSS

New

Post by YSS » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:46 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Do you wish you were at Columbia?
rhetorical question?

everyone at NYU wishes they were at Columbia

given a choice between a world renowned Ivy and a state school (u know what i mean) just a few miles apart IN THE SAME CITY

I'm pretty sure everyone will go with the world renowned Ivy

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:48 pm

YSS wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Do you wish you were at Columbia?
rhetorical question?

everyone at NYU wishes they were at Columbia

given a choice between a world renowned Ivy and a state school (u know what i mean) just a few miles apart IN THE SAME CITY

I'm pretty sure everyone will go with the world renowned Ivy
Hello troll.

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:54 pm

You're seriously comparing it to an online school? That's just dumb. There's no comparison, and I think you know that.

As compared to the law dorms, many of the undergrad dorms ARE scattershot throughout the city. But the area around Wash Sqr, especially on the south and east side, are VERY dominated by NYU. All five law school buildings are in this area.

You're right that anyone considering NYU should understand that it really is an urban school. (Isn't that obvious?) There's no campus in the traditional sense. But your statements, which imply there's nothing even approximating a campus, are wrong.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”