Good schools to study family law? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jamw90

New

Good schools to study family law?

Post by jamw90 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi, I am a sophomore at the University of Tennessee. I am majoring in child and family studies. I really want to study family law, and specialize in adoption law. I am kind of naive about this; but I was wondering what schools have good reputations for those programs (in state and out of state)?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Good schools to study family law?

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:11 pm

I didn't read the question carefully enough. Shame on me.
Last edited by bk1 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:16 pm

bk187 wrote:Go to the best school possible or the top regional school in the area you want to practice.

Also, IBdisco_barred.
OR not.. Family law tends to pay very little, no matter where you go. Go to the place that will leave you with the least amount of debt possible. Intern at a small family law firm while in school. No law school will be any better at "teaching" family law than any other school.

That said, Hofstra claims to have the best family law program (likely because the clinic is packed out with hofstra U-grads in need of advice following unplanned pregnancies and the like).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:31 pm

Was on TLS autopilot and didn't really read before posting. Edited above to show I'm a 'tard. :P

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:49 pm

If you're especially interested in adoption law, look up some family law professors and find any that specialize in that field specifically. There are also some schools that offer courses on children's rights or other things related to family law which may interest you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:44 am

bk187 wrote:Was on TLS autopilot and didn't really read before posting. Edited above to show I'm a 'tard. :P

Its ok.. Many times, the advice: "go to the best school you can;" is the correct response. But with family law, it just doesn't make sense. Most family law practicioners (even the well noted wealthy ones), tend to have attended local law schools. Its one area of the law where educational prestige matters very little. For some reason, family law attorneys are willing to admit that you law school and the practice of law have nothing to do with one another. :D

bizjunkie4

New

Post by bizjunkie4 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:12 am

I am a 2L at Louisville, and I worked for a family lawyer last summer. It was a terrific experience. I helped out with divorces, child custody disputes, negotiated settlements, marital asset tracing, and more. I generally agree with the other posters about attending a school where you want to practice. However, I would add that you may want to consider schools located in larger markets because schools in smaller towns are going to have far fewer family lawyers available to hire you. And a school in a gigantic market like Boston or NYC will leave you with a lot of debt, which is obviously undesirable. Finally, you should not accept the proposition that you will make less money than your Big Law colleagues. Most big firms don't do family law due to the high potential for conflict of interest issues with their corporate clients. However, I have friends who are starting out as family lawyers making just as much money as their classmates in large firms. Just depends where you go, how much you bill, etc.

- Alex Davis, 2L, Louisville
http://uofllawschool.blogspot.com/

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:16 am

bizjunkie4 wrote:I am a 2L at Louisville, and I worked for a family lawyer last summer. It was a terrific experience. I helped out with divorces, child custody disputes, negotiated settlements, marital asset tracing, and more. I generally agree with the other posters about attending a school where you want to practice. However, I would add that you may want to consider schools located in larger markets because schools in smaller towns are going to have far fewer family lawyers available to hire you. And a school in a gigantic market like Boston or NYC will leave you with a lot of debt, which is obviously undesirable. Finally, you should not accept the proposition that you will make less money than your Big Law colleagues. Most big firms don't do family law due to the high potential for conflict of interest issues with their corporate clients. However, I have friends who are starting out as family lawyers making just as much money as their classmates in large firms. Just depends where you go, how much you bill, etc.

- Alex Davis, 2L, Louisville
http://uofllawschool.blogspot.com/
A handful of family lawyers make very good money. Most family law associates do not. Its really that simple.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:23 am

Go to the most affordable school in the region where you'd like to practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”