Hidden cameras and covert recording devices. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
SwollenMonkey

Silver

Hidden cameras and covert recording devices.

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:48 pm

So I've been thinking.

Exams count for the entire grade and law students typically are not returned their exams once graded. Isn't it a good idea, when taking an exam, to wear a hidden camera to record what one types on the laptop screen before turning in the exams? To have the ability to look at our exams after a grade has been issued seems priceless, and technology today can definitely accommodate this task quite easily.

Are there items that one cannot bring to class during an exam? I'm guessing baseball caps might not be allowed or hats might not be allowed. Is there a list of prohibited items during exams?

Would it be wrong to record a video feed of my laptop's screen as I am taking a final?

Also,

One of my professors does not allow recordings of any kind during class. I know that using a covert recording device would be a violating of her policy, but isn't the gamble worth the risks? Covert recording devices come in various shapes and sizes, so the odds of detection are in one's favor. Of course there is always the chance of getting caught, but if no one knows, isn't it a safe bet to record the lecture anyway?

Take a look at this flash drive that also functions as a recorder. No one would surely suspect that this is a recording device.
--ImageRemoved--

I'm just wondering, that is all.

1ferret!

Bronze

Re: Hidden cameras and covert recording devices.

Post by 1ferret! » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:14 pm

I get my exams back, just have to go get em.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Please tell me OP is a flame.......

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:17 pm

kazu wrote:Please tell me OP is a flame.......
No flame. I have a problem with authority --kinda major problem. Also, I am in the habit of getting around things.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:21 pm

what benefit would justify the risk of either of these absurd ideas?

your professors will likely provide you with a copy of your exam after your grades are released, or at least sit down with you to go over it.

you won't have time to re-listen to your professors' lectures. at least, your time would be better spent elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:21 pm

:shock:

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:41 pm

If you record a class when your professor said not to, you will fail the character and fitness part of the bar. They disallow recording for a very good reason, and if they took the time to make the rule you can bet they will fight to enforce it.

Also, recording devices in the exam is a HUGE nono. Don't be an idiot.

NO it is not worth the risk.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:45 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:One of my professors does not allow recordings of any kind during class. I know that using a covert recording device would be a violating of her policy, but isn't the gamble worth the risks?
No, I don't think it is.
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:46 pm

itzjulz wrote:what benefit would justify the risk of either of these absurd ideas?
This is my question as well. Why risk it? Yes maybe like you say the chances of getting caught are slim, but if you do the consequences are gigantic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:47 pm

Bosque wrote:If you record a class when your professor said not to, you will fail the character and fitness part of the bar. They disallow recording for a very good reason, and if they took the time to make the rule you can bet they will fight to enforce it.

Also, recording devices in the exam is a HUGE nono. Don't be an idiot.

NO it is not worth the risk.
I was searching for an answer along these lines. Thank you very much.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:51 pm

kazu wrote:
itzjulz wrote:what benefit would justify the risk of either of these absurd ideas?
This is my question as well. Why risk it? Yes maybe like you say the chances of getting caught are slim, but if you do the consequences are gigantic.
I'm not going to risk it. I was only thinking. Secondly, I'm a little irritated at the fact that I cannot record a lecture. If I were to do this, it would be more for showing the prof that I can record her lecture instead of recording it for some actual benefit.

She did recommend that we start reviewing for the final immediately and the semester has not begun, so this is a plus. I simply thought about recording her lectures out of spite. Immature, I know.

I'm not going to risk it. :)

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:51 pm

thecilent wrote::shock:
?

Oh come on! You're not that shocked, right?
Last edited by SwollenMonkey on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:52 pm

I also don't see how recording the test response would be 'priceless' or anything close to that. Unless the exam material is marked by the professor I think it could be of limited use in terms of figuring out how the specifics contributed to the particular grade.

OTOH, it seems only reasonable that we should have access at some point to the material we write and submit...
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:53 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
?

Very, very strange question, in my opinion. Plus, you had to have known the responses you were going to get..

OrdinarilySkilled

Bronze

Post by OrdinarilySkilled » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:55 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
kazu wrote:
I'm not going to risk it. I was only thinking. Secondly, I'm a little irritated at the fact that I cannot record a lecture. If I were to do this, it would be more for showing the prof that I can record her lecture instead of recording it for some actual benefit.

She did recommend that we start reviewing for the final immediately and the semester has not begun, so this is a plus. I simply thought about recording her lectures out of spite. Immature, I know.

I'm not going to risk it. :)
You should record all the classes, make a website and post them, and just write the link as your final. Guaranteed A.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:56 pm

thecilent wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
?

Very, very strange question, in my opinion. Plus, you had to have known the responses you were going to get..
The responses have been helpful, as I was searching for perspectives while also slightly venting my frustration.

I didn't know what to expect, so I just asked.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:57 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:
kazu wrote:

You should record all the classes, make a website and post them, and just write the link as your final. Guaranteed A.

This is funny!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:58 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
thecilent wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
?

The responses have been helpful, as I was searching for perspectives while also slightly venting my frustration.

I didn't know what to expect, so I just asked.
I hear ya my dude.. I also just like the shocked face

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:59 pm

At first I thought this was an overeager troll. Now I think the OP is a bratty child who is going to have great difficulty adjusting to professional life.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:03 pm

Renzo wrote:At first I thought this was an overeager troll. Now I think the OP is a bratty child who is going to have great difficulty adjusting to professional life.
I'm not bratty. I'm actually the "Quiet Type".

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:06 pm

-.- 0Ls.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:10 pm

disco_barred wrote:-.- 0Ls.

OMG! It's you. Thank you for blessing this thread, lol.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:13 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:

*says something grumpy and exaggerated*

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:16 pm

disco_barred wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:

*says something grumpy and exaggerated*

Point understood and well-taken. Thanks for the advice.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:32 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:
Renzo wrote:At first I thought this was an overeager troll. Now I think the OP is a bratty child who is going to have great difficulty adjusting to professional life.
I'm not bratty. I'm actually the "Quiet Type".
Yeah, I hear you. While I agree with everyone else that this would be a terrible idea where the best possible outcome is that you never get caught and the worst is career suicide, I can understand the the impetus behind this desire quite well. I'm also a quiet, generally nice person who just hates authority and loves sticking it to 'The Man' even for no good reason.

I have among other things: been kicked out of museums for touching the art (fuck you volunteer security guard I wasn't hurting anything), publicly berated for taking pictures of endangered birds (fuck you volunteer bird protector I wasn't hurting them), and disciplined - in college - for writing on the desk (fuck you TA I was gonna erase it). I wouldn't categorize myself as bratty and I don't think other people would either. Perky, sweet, upbeat, those are things people have said about me. I just have secret stupid rebellious side that likes to break small meaningless rules. OP, in my experience it really is almost never worth it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”