I am going to law school because... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

I am going to law school because

I want to help people
7%
I want to defend those who cannot defend themselves
6%
I care about the issues of others
8%
All of the above
22%
I'm greedy and selfish and only care about the money
58%

Total votes: 292

JustBelieve

New

I am going to law school because...

Post by JustBelieve » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:46 pm

How many people are actually going to law school because they actually want to help someone or fight injustices and harms to inequality?

I believe that this profession allows us to do beautiful work for our world because it allows us to go beyond ourselves and assist the greater good. This is a very selfless field and I applaud each and every one of you who are going so that you can help others.

I can’t speak for people but I hope nobody is going because the only thing they care about is money.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: I am going to law school because...

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:48 pm

JustBelieve wrote:
I can’t speak for people but I hope nobody is going because the only thing they care about is money.

What's so bad about being motivated by money?

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:51 pm

Anyone who works for a living cares about money. I think you meant to say "cares about making lots of money", although I don't see anything wrong with that, either. FWIW, I'm not going to law school to make money. I'm going so I can help poor people with their legal issues,

Jackie O

Bronze

Post by Jackie O » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:54 pm

I want to learn.

SullaFelix

Bronze

Post by SullaFelix » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:57 pm

JustBelieve wrote:How many people are actually going to law school because they actually want to help someone or fight injustices and harms to inequality?

I believe that this profession allows us to do beautiful work for our world because it allows us to go beyond ourselves and assist the greater good. This is a very selfless field and I applaud each and every one of you who are going so that you can help others.

I don't think I would like you very much in real life.

Law does allow you to do great things, does shape our society and can assist the greater good. God bless anyone with those life goals.

But someone who begrudges others — whom they know nothing about — for doing what's best for them and their family is pretty misguided themselves.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JustBelieve

New

Post by JustBelieve » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:59 pm

SullaFelix wrote:
JustBelieve wrote:How many people are actually going to law school because they actually want to help someone or fight injustices and harms to inequality?

I don't think I would like you very much in real life.

Law does allow you to do great things, does shape our society and can assist the greater good. God bless anyone with those life goals.

But someone who begrudges others — whom they know nothing about — for doing what's best for them and their family is pretty misguided themselves.
I respect your opinion; I wish to offend nobody.

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:01 pm

I'm going to law school to make as much money as possible. Get off your high horse.

Mal

New

Post by Mal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:05 pm

How about its a good career for a detail oriented person interested in logical puzzles... Law is very intellectually engaging, perhaps people are interested in that.

Your focus is results oriented;this certainly has a part to play but I would bet it is not the driving factor. There are careers that give more money, or help people more. My focus in choosing a career is what I would enjoy doing. I'd hope its similar for others.

cynthia rose

Bronze

Post by cynthia rose » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:47 pm

I said all of the above, but the options included in 'all of the above' are really kind of the same thing, and I feel that intellectual interest and/or a particular desire for a specific area of law should have been included. Some people are just really big nerds and like learning for the sake of learning. Most of those people are probably more interested in the academia track, which isn't so much about the money but also is not necessarily about "helping" anyone. Some people really want to go into a certain field of law, and would be bored to tears if they were an accountant or an electrician or a sales consultant. And some people will fall under all of the above - they want to help people and they care about issues, they genuinely enjoy the intellectual stimulation, they simply don't want to do anything else, AND if they can make a shit-ton of money at the end of they day then why not go for it?

I don't see anything wrong necessarily with someone really desiring a lot of money, or even for the money being their biggest motivator. The catch is that if this is their ONLY motivation, then they will be the stereotype of the lawyer who works 80 hours a week, is miserable, and becomes an alcoholic within three years. If you are only in something for the money (law or otherwise) then you will end up running yourself ragged all the time just for an extra dollar, and when you're finally done earning it odds are you'll be too tired to spend and enjoy any of it (which is the entire purpose of making lots of money).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Mal wrote:How about its a good career for a detail oriented person interested in logical puzzles... Law is very intellectually engaging, perhaps people are interested in that.

Your focus is results oriented;this certainly has a part to play but I would bet it is not the driving factor. There are careers that give more money, or help people more. My focus in choosing a career is what I would enjoy doing. I'd hope its similar for others.
+1

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:22 pm

options 1-3 are pretty much the same, so its either to care about/help people or because I'm greedy? what about corporate law? if someone goes into corp. law and thus isn't doing 1-3, they are thus greedy and in it for the money? Why does one become a chef? Why does one become an accountant? There are tons of individualized answers that don't fit into your poll. Maybe include a "none of the above" option.

ZachOda

Bronze

Post by ZachOda » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:40 pm

While money comes into the equation, It's not just about getting filthy rich, it's about creating a secure environment for your family, whether it be current or future. If I'm taking on a huge amount of debt to fulfill my other reasons for pursuing law (helping others, intellectual stimulation) I want to know that I can support a family later on and live comfortably.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:27 pm

I am not at all surprised at the results of the poll judging by those who frequent this site. After all it is called Top-Law-Schools, and logically most that wish to get into top law schools are doing so to ultimately get top pay. Nothing wrong with that

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:28 pm

Models & bottles, baby.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:42 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:I am not at all surprised at the results of the poll judging by those who frequent this site. After all it is called Top-Law-Schools, and logically most that wish to get into top law schools are doing so to ultimately get top pay. Nothing wrong with that
Well when you make 3 options to help others, and one option $$$$$$$$$$$ and don't have one for it looks interesting its going to come out this way.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:44 pm

I want to save the whales. Well, animals in general, but whales may very well be one of those animals one day. :mrgreen:

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:46 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Models, bottles & blow, baby.
TITCR

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:47 pm

paratactical wrote:
TITCR
I'll settle for fat chick blow jobs and mad dog 20/20

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
paratactical wrote:
TITCR
It's good that you've learned to settle long before your OCIs.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:49 pm

paratactical wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
paratactical wrote:
TITCR
It's good that you've learned to settle long before your OCIs.
Very optimistic about my chances of finishing 1L I see.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:50 pm

The poll irritates me.

So, we're either selfless angels or money-grabbing greedy heartless devils?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:51 pm

kazu wrote:The poll irritates me.

So, we're either selfless angels naive idiots or money-grabbing greedy heartless devils?
FTFaccuracy

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:59 pm

Why did the OP create this poll?

a) Because he wants to save the world.
b) Because he loves us and wants us to be happy
c) Because he is not human, but instead is an intelligent fuzzy superbeing made of puppies and kitties
d) All of the above
e) Because he is an attention-grubbing sociopath bent on destroying our confidence and making us hate ourselves

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:01 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Models & bottles, baby.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:04 pm

If you are going to law school to help people, you could save yourself a ton of money by not going. There are much more effective and less costly ways to help people directly. There are ways that lawyers can help people, but it is not the primary function of the vast majority of lawyers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”