I-Banking Salaries Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sfdreaming09

Bronze

I-Banking Salaries

Post by sfdreaming09 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:55 pm

Quick question to anybody who knows a thing or two about i-banking salaries: how much would a Managing Director at a Vault Top 10 bank make (on average)? Just curious because I have a friend who graduated from Wharton undergrad and has been at Morgan Stanley since he graduated in 1996 (so, 15 yrs), and I was interested in just getting a ballpark range of what kind of salary we're talking about here.

nealric

Re: I-Banking Salaries

Post by nealric » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:22 pm

In the millions- but very bonus centered and therefore quite variable

Pip

Bronze

Post by Pip » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:58 pm

There is no way of knowing that. Different career paths in I-banks can make major differences in how much money you make. And as the other poster said the big money is in bonuses....

You would expect that his starting salary was at least 125,000 when he started but that it would likely top out around 250,000 as far as base. That means the big unknown is the bonus.

But before you go do a happy dance and sign up, realize that he is also in New York so if you make 250,000 in New York you are pissing a good chuck of that away in housing and taxes. An friend from law school started out taking a job at Sullivan and Cromwell in New York out of law school... I think it was 4 years later he took a lower paying job in Texas working for the IRS... his actually free cash was greater working for the IRS... not to mention the amount of free time.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:22 pm

but that it would likely top out around 250,000 as far as base.
An MD at a bulge bracket bank makes a lot more than 250k base.

novacuseville

New

Post by novacuseville » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:09 pm

No it's def ~$300,000 base...most of it comes from the bonus which could be in the millions

LSATrocks

New

Post by LSATrocks » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:31 pm

An I-banker just starting out makes anywhere from 60-90K + Bonus. Bonus can be anything from $0(which it has been at or close to for a lot of people ITE) to doubling your salary or anything in between (usually here, think 30-40K on top of your salary).

Someone 15 years in is really hard to guess at. Base Salary could be anywhere from 100-1mill+, honestly just depends on the company.

Bonus is really where the money is, but bonuses are entirely performance based and can be in the millions, but ITE I doubt it would be that high for the past two years.

I would have a hard time believing someone 15 years out from Wharton, who has worked at the same place for that entire period, would be pulling in less than a million bucks a year. just my 2 cents though

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”