housing close to Georgetown Law Center Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
florencezx

New

housing close to Georgetown Law Center

Post by florencezx » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:41 pm

Hey all, I just graduated from a LLM program and is going to DC for an intern with the SEC while preparing for the Oct. LSAT. I found out that GLC is really close to the SEC so I was wondering whether I could find housing close to GLC. Could any of you give me some advice?
Thanks a lot! (have been trying to find a place for a month but no clue yet, pain...)

hncsarge34

New

Re: housing close to Georgetown Law Center

Post by hncsarge34 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:25 pm

I've had a lot of friends have luck finding apartments in the DC area on Craigslist

Go to http://www.wmata.com to check out the subway system. Apartments are exponentially cheaper once you get outside of the DC city limits and you could use the metro to get to the SEC.

wadeny

Bronze

Post by wadeny » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:35 pm

hncsarge34 wrote:Apartments are exponentially cheaper once you get outside of the DC city limits and you could use the metro to get to the SEC.
Eh, yes and no. Housing throughout most of the DC area is very expensive (from NOVA to NW, etc). OP, have you considered living near Capitol Hill? I used to know several people who roomed together in the area and it's within walking distance to GULC. If not, I would recommend finding a roommate in a place close to a metro station and split costs.

florencezx

New

Post by florencezx » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:13 pm

wadeny wrote:
hncsarge34 wrote:Apartments are exponentially cheaper once you get outside of the DC city limits and you could use the metro to get to the SEC.
Still looking for housing...I've fed up with craigslist. almost hoaxed 5 times! I don't know why I have such bad luck! I heard Capitol Hill is not really safe? I am now commuting 2 hours everyday...fed up by the metro too!
Eh, yes and no. Housing throughout most of the DC area is very expensive (from NOVA to NW, etc). OP, have you considered living near Capitol Hill? I used to know several people who roomed together in the area and it's within walking distance to GULC. If not, I would recommend finding a roommate in a place close to a metro station and split costs.

florencezx

New

Post by florencezx » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:14 pm

hncsarge34 wrote:I've had a lot of friends have luck finding apartments in the DC area on Craigslist
Thank you! I went to a a place advertised on craigslist again today and the guy did not want to sign a lease. shady place... I am kind of desperate. with the lsat coming...
Go to http://www.wmata.com to check out the subway system. Apartments are exponentially cheaper once you get outside of the DC city limits and you could use the metro to get to the SEC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 am

Capitol Hill is perfectly safe- it's almost all yuppies.

Share a rowhouse with people. I don't really think commuting from the burbs is a great idea. To get seriously cheaper than Capitol Hill, you have to go so far outside the city that commuting would be a major drag. Besides, even the far-out places get expensive if you are close to a metro. I find the best screener for Craigslist is writing ability. People who fill their emails with text-speak and make numerous grammatical errors are much more likely to be sketchy.

younkink

New

Post by younkink » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:38 am

nealric wrote:Capitol Hill is perfectly safe- it's almost all yuppies.

Share a rowhouse with people. I don't really think commuting from the burbs is a great idea. To get seriously cheaper than Capitol Hill, you have to go so far outside the city that commuting would be a major drag. Besides, even the far-out places get expensive if you are close to a metro. I find the best screener for Craigslist is writing ability. People who fill their emails with text-speak and make numerous grammatical errors are much more likely to be sketchy.

This.

I live in this area, it will likely cost you more to live outside DC and commute in/out of the city (unless you're far away from the metro like nealric said, I know people who live 1 mi from the metro in arlington and pay $600 a month). Housing in popular suburbs like clarendon, bethesda, etc close to the metro runs around the same cost as sharing a row house on the hill. Plus, nothing beats a 5 minute walk to work... (and ~15 to GULC)

I found my house on craigslist and had no problems, i also know people who have had luck just walking around the hill streets and calling the phone numbers on "for rent" signs outside of houses.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”