0L, transferring in the back of my mind Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kazootey

New

0L, transferring in the back of my mind

Post by kazootey » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:22 pm

nevermind
Last edited by kazootey on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen

Diamond

Re: 0L, transferring in the back of my mind

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:28 pm

So... good luck?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:31 pm

Most people who say this actually do go in with the intent to transfer, saying it because they feel it will clear them of the inevitable TLS backlash (it won't).

Anyways, worry about it when you actually have your grades. Obviously you want to do well, but worry about transferring when it actually is an option to you.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:31 pm

VA resident?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:33 pm

As long as you're going to a school you'd be happy to graduate from, there's nothing wrong with thinking about transferring as a possibility. The mistake people make typically involves either 1) choosing a school they won't be happy at if they don't do that well or 2) falsely believing they have some magical property that makes them more likely to rise to the top of the class than anyone else, thus giving them some extra shot at transferring.

Your goal should be to get the best possible grades. That's true whether you stay at your school or end up transferring. Once you have your fall grades back, you can evaluate whether or not transferring will be an actual possibility then, and whether it actually makes sense to you.

The one question I have for you is, are you going to a school in VA? Because the vast majority of UVA transfer acceptances are for in-state. You should also keep in mind that UVA seems to be compensating for overenrolling in recent years by accepting fewer transfers, which will make transferring there harder than it was before. Since the C/O 2013 is overenrolled, that means they'll likely take fewer transfers again next year.

But good luck, and hopefully you enjoy your performance at your school whether you end up transferring or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Cool story, bro.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:48 pm

I think your goal going into 1L should be to rank as high as possible. do that and transferring will be a possibility. so just work hard and enjoy the school you're currently in as much as you can.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:56 pm

IAFG wrote:VA resident?
This. Word to the wise: transferring to UVA is difficult. This isn't to say you can't do it (especially if you are a resident), but it's just not a good idea to hope for something like this.

Before you start dreaming, do the research, and find out the base rate, so to speak. There is still much to be said for blooming where you are planted, as the saying goes.

kazootey

New

Post by kazootey » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:59 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
This. Word to the wise: transferring to UVA is difficult. This isn't to say you can't do it (especially if you are a resident), but it's just not a good idea to hope for something like this.
I know it's tough because I'm not a VA resident, but I am a Michigan resident, and transferring to UMich would be just as good. I'm going to enjoy my law school, and I will be proud if/when I graduate from there. This whole transferring thing would be great, but I am going to happy either way, no matter what happens.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:04 pm

kazootey wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
I know it's tough because I'm not a VA resident, but I am a Michigan resident, and transferring to UMich would be just as good. I'm going to enjoy my law school, and I will be proud if/when I graduate from there. This whole transferring thing would be great, but I am going to happy either way, no matter what happens.
Focus on knocking 1L year out of the ballpark. If you do that, there are tons of people and resources on here that can help you transfer. The vast majority of people won't have the option, though, and as long as you know that, you should be fine.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:10 pm

A word of advice: Keep your plans to yourself.

If transferring is what motivates you to put in long hours studying, then by all means, make that your goal, especially since you seem to be aware of the fact that you're not overly likely to pull off the grades you hope for. But don't tell your fellow 1Ls all about how you can't wait to zip up to a T14 next year. They will rightly think you're a douche, and you'll look extra bad if you come back to Iowa for 2L.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”