DA's Office Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
myrockyourrock911

New

DA's Office

Post by myrockyourrock911 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:02 pm

Reposting this from another forum because I may have been wrong in placing it there:
What kind of activities should students interested in working for the DA participate in? Is hiring as grade-based as private sector employment? I go to MVPB - where should I aim, gradewise, to secure employment at a DA's office in a major city or nearby secondary market -i.e. Manhattan/Queens? Thank you.

john titor

Bronze

Re: DA's Office

Post by john titor » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:11 pm

why even ask a question like this? if you get a dozen responses saying "you should be at least median," are you then going to "aim for" median grades? obviously, unless you are a complete idiot, you are going to do the best that you can do grade-wise. the chips will then fall where they will.

but to answer your question - yes, DA's offices generally care about your grades, but your grades will matter more in places where demand for ADA jobs are higher (large cities, places that are generally pleasant to live in). I imagine the competition is pretty stiff in the NYC area (as it is for almost any decent legal job in that area).

and I hope this isnt too much of a shock to you, but you should probably take Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure, and do well in those classes.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:27 pm

myrockyourrock911 wrote:What kind of activities should students interested in working for the DA participate in?
Moot court, mock trial, law review, internship in the DA's office.

myrockyourrock911

New

Post by myrockyourrock911 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:53 pm

ggocat wrote:
myrockyourrock911 wrote:What kind of activities should students interested in working for the DA participate in?
Moot court, mock trial, law review, internship in the DA's office.

myrockyourrock911

New

Post by myrockyourrock911 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:53 pm

john titor wrote:why even ask a question like this? if you get a dozen responses saying "you should be at least median," are you then going to "aim for" median grades? obviously, unless you are a complete idiot, you are going to do the best that you can do grade-wise. the chips will then fall where they will.

but to answer your question - yes, DA's offices generally care about your grades, but your grades will matter more in places where demand for ADA jobs are higher (large cities, places that are generally pleasant to live in). I imagine the competition is pretty stiff in the NYC area (as it is for almost any decent legal job in that area).

and I hope this isnt too much of a shock to you, but you should probably take criminal law and criminal procedure, and do well in those classes.
Obviously to provoke you lol. Thanks though.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:55 pm

dont mean to come off like a dick - I remember what it was like to be a 0L-1L. but really, just do the best you can. wish you the best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”