SHOULD I DO THIS Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Iconoclast

Bronze

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Post by Iconoclast » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:56 pm

I had 2 internships but they were in high school. I just didn't write extensive for no reason
Dude... internships in high school do not equal "extensive experience." Internships in high school plus internships in college STILL do not equal "extensive experience."

Yes, momma is proud of her little engineer. But if you're straight out of UG then the only thing you have extensive experience in is going to school.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:56 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
I had 2 internships but they were in high school. I just didn't write extensive for no reason
Dude... internships in high school do not equal "extensive experience." Internships in high school plus internships in college STILL do not equal "extensive experience."

Yes, momma is proud of her little engineer. But if you're straight out of UG then the only thing you have extensive experience in is going to school.
+1

birdmann783

New

Post by birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:59 pm

Iconoclast wrote:

so what in your opinion equals extensive?

Additional Info: the two internships were both two years in length. It felt more like a job lol

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:03 pm

Dude, unless you cured a disease for your high school science project, do not mention anything you did in high school. ok. end of thread.

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:06 pm

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:06 pm

--ImageRemoved--

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:06 pm

OP: What is your UG major?

birdmann783

New

Post by birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Iconoclast wrote:--ImageRemoved--

lol that was funny ....

you still didnt answer my question though...

birdmann783

New

Post by birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:11 pm

merichard87 wrote:OP: What is your UG major?
Physics and English

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dimreturns

New

Post by dimreturns » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Last edited by dimreturns on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:18 pm

OP, you are obviously dead set on doing this despite our good faith efforts to convince you to see the light, so stop waisting everyones time asking for advice. Just go do it and live with the consequences. Who knows, maybe the only effect will be the quizzically raised eyebrow of an admission officer wondering why this is on your resume as he puts your application into the "in" or "out" pile based solely on your scores.

I guess you get to find out.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:19 pm

birdmann783 wrote:
Physics and English

Why do you want to indicate experience in Civil Engineering if it was neither or your majors?

birdmann783

New

Post by birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Bosque wrote:OP, you are obviously dead set on doing this despite our good faith efforts to convince you to see the light, so stop waisting everyones time asking for advice. Just go do it and live with the consequences. Who knows, maybe the only effect will be the quizzically raised eyebrow of an admission officer wondering why this is on your resume as he puts your application into the "in" or "out" pile based solely on your scores.

I guess you get to find out.
Bosque, I'm not dead set. Actually, I felt you gave straightforward advice and asked questions before making a judgement. I will remove it but thanks again

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

birdmann783

New

Post by birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:21 pm

merichard87 wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:
Physics and English

Why do you want to indicate experience in Civil Engineering if it was neither or your majors?

Because it was something different. If it was the same, I didn't think it would make sense. Plus Physics and English is not the typical double major you see everyday

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:38 pm

birdmann783 wrote:
merichard87 wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:
Physics and English

Because it was something different. If it was the same, I didn't think it would make sense. Plus Physics and English is not the typical double major you see everyday
And engineering isn't the typical pre-law school major you see every day, but you don't see adcomms lining up to let us and our TTT GPAs in unless we obliterate the LSAT. That is to say, the person reading your application will not lift an eyebrow when they see your choice of majors, much less what you did in high school, as they skim it for your LSAT/GPA/URM checkmark.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:41 pm

birdmann783 wrote:
merichard87 wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:
Physics and English

Physics is more impressive anyway.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:
merichard87 wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:
Physics and English

Physics is more impressive anyway.
Credited.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:45 pm

birdmann783 wrote: actually Im not a prestige whore.. i was just trying to give reasons as to why i might be tempted to keep it. if it was dfaiffkls high school and I did nothing then I see the logic behind erasing it.

Im trying to put you guys in my situation...Not show off...
No one thinks you could possibly be showing off with the fact you got internships in high school. I think you've already gotten the point but just think about it-you'll be competing with candidates with impressive work experience out of college (and sometimes master and phd programs) and you're citing back to high school.

While I understand anyone wants to find something that'll help them stand out, that will only help you stand out in a bad way.

FreshPrince

New

Post by FreshPrince » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:50 pm

merichard87 wrote:
FreshPrince wrote:
I didn't say I had many civil buddies but all 3 of them are doing very well for themselves. Flame it up all you want. Civil's always seemed to get pissed on by other engineering majors but the next time you want to cross a large river with your car or take a crap and then not taste it in your drinking water, you'll thank us.
And the next time you sit down to play WOW or the fucking SIMS thank an Electrical and Computer Engineer plus a Computer Scientist.

The next time you fill that pretty little Prius thank a Chemical/Petroleum.

Hell the next time you do any fuckin thing just thank an Engineer.

P.S. I get irritated when people try to make one engineering discipline more important than another.
I wasn't trying to make civil more important than any other engineering major. I was trying to show its equally important. Take a midol, douche. FTR, I don't play WOW or SIMS and before you drive your fuckin Prius anywhere, thank a civil for building your fuckin road.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:11 pm

FreshPrince wrote:
merichard87 wrote:
FreshPrince wrote:
I didn't say I had many civil buddies but all 3 of them are doing very well for themselves. Flame it up all you want. Civil's always seemed to get pissed on by other engineering majors but the next time you want to cross a large river with your car or take a crap and then not taste it in your drinking water, you'll thank us.
And the next time you sit down to play WOW or the fucking SIMS thank an Electrical and Computer Engineer plus a Computer Scientist.

P.S. I get irritated when people try to make one engineering discipline more important than another.
I wasn't trying to make civil more important than any other engineering major. I was trying to show its equally important. Take a midol, douche. FTR, I don't play WOW or SIMS and before you drive your fuckin Prius anywhere, thank a civil for building your fuckin road.
Preeeeetty sure you overreacted there.

Besides, I head that where we're going we don't need roads.

FreshPrince

New

Post by FreshPrince » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:30 pm

stratocophic wrote:
FreshPrince wrote:
merichard87 wrote:
FreshPrince wrote:

Preeeeetty sure you overreacted there.

Besides, I head that where we're going we don't need roads.
I'm preeeeety sure I didn't say anything more over-the-top than the dude that posted before me so if I overreacted, I apologize, but, fight fire with fire, right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:45 pm

AngryEnginerds wrote:Raaar
Eh. The whole exchange seemed to be tilting at windmills to me, but
WillSmith wrote:fight fire with fire
is always credited :mrgreen:

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:05 pm

IMO mentioning anything high school reeks of immaturity, and attending a "top 100 school" speaks more to you parents' socioeconomic status. While you should be proud, it's now irrelevant.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:12 pm

Yea I'm def not a dude and I don't drive a Prius. And I appreciate the contributions of all subsections of engineering and every other major. But you have definitely been over-reacting all throughout this thread. And I am not nor have I ever been a douche.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:57 pm

I work in recruiting / HR. Admittedly, this is different than law school admissions, but let me tell you this - when I have candidates who list their high school on their resume, I immediately think substantially less about them. It just shouts to the world that they have no real understanding of what's important. We all knew that guy in undergrad who still wore his highschool letter jacket. Do not be the resume equivalent to that.

The only possible exception to this is (as a previous poster suggested) is something like Eagle Scout or maybe valedictorian. But really, come on... Don't be that guy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”