SHOULD I DO THIS Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
birdmann783

New

SHOULD I DO THIS

Post by birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:25 am

Put my high school on my resume for law school?

Let me give you some insight before you judge.

My h.s. has majors and I have extensive experience in civil engineering which would show depth in my application.
It is ranked as a top 100 school nationwide.
I won a scholarship during my time there and participated as an ACTIVE member in numerous clubs.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance

Can you give a reason to your response as well?
Last edited by birdmann783 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

holydonkey

Silver

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Post by holydonkey » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:27 am

no

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:30 am

holydonkey wrote:no
si, burro santa

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:33 am

No.

Even if somebody wanted to, who has the room to put this information on their resume? You should be struggling to fit everything on one page as it is.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:39 am

No. I went to an engineering high school as well but I barely have enough space for the things I did in college much less high school.

But I do have an extended resume which is like 3 pages where I put that stuff. However, I only give out the extended resume when its pertinent. I never just hand it out as my primary resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:59 am

No.

If you were a civil engineer in college, why do you need to also point out you did it in high school? You already got a BS. If anything I could imagine this would hurt you, as the person reading your resume might think to themselves (however unfairly) that your GPA is not as indicative of your skills since you had already been doing the engineering stuff and thus had a leg up on the competition.

Did you major in a different type of engineering and so you want to show you have some experience with another branch? If so, still don't put it in there. Law schools don't care about the breadth of your engineering experience. It might be a curiosity, but it is really just going to clutter up your resume and push something important off the front page (since schooling usually goes first)

If you were not an engineer in college, still no. Law schools again are not going to care. And in case you are thinking your high school "major" is going to let you sit for the patent bar, you can stop right now. It wont.

Anyway, leave it off.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:18 am

The only reason to put HS is to show ties to a region- to show you are a local.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:22 am

YOU SHOULD TYPE YOUR RESUME IN ALL CAPS!!!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:34 am

No. If you have a college degree you typically dont put your high school down for any job or on any resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

birdmann783

New

Post by birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:49 am

I havent graduated yet ...i will be a senior

and i have a double major in college which is different than the civil engineering

one question though, how should i deal with the scholarship that I won during that time. I feel that it is important to mention it.

btw lol at the all caps mf doom reference..

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:50 am

Don't mention your high school scholarship. It was high school. Move on.

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Post by pinkzeppelin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:51 am

birdmann783 wrote:I havent graduated yet ...i will be a senior

and i have a double major in college which is different than the civil engineering

one question though, how should i deal with the scholarship that I won during that time. I feel that it is important to mention it.

If you received a scholarship for college then it is probably best to list this as an achievement or honor.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:51 am

I would trash your resume if you put that you majored in civil engineering in high school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FreshPrince

New

Post by FreshPrince » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:56 am

birdmann783 wrote:Put my high school on my resume for law school?

My h.s. has majors and I have extensive experience in civil engineering which would show depth in my application.
I won a scholarship during my time there and participated as an ACTIVE member in numerous clubs.

You know what really shows extensive experience in civil engineering? Real world experience in civil engineering (internships, full-time positions). Put that on your resume; not anything about high school.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:56 am

I'm going to have to disagree with most the posters ITT. I say add it, and if you have show choir and chess club, go ahead and add that too.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:58 am

Only if you write your resume in all caps.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:58 am

naterj wrote:I'm going to have to disagree with most the posters ITT. I say add it, and if you have show choir and chess club, go ahead and add that too.
Don't forget mathletes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

birdmann783

New

Post by birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:58 am

FreshPrince wrote:

You know what really shows extensive experience in civil engineering? Real world experience in civil engineering (internships, full-time positions). Put that on your resume; not anything about high school.

I had 2 internships but they were in high school. I just didn't write extensive for no reason

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:59 am

Is this a scholarship for college? If so, then put it under the college section with the deans list, honor societies, and clubs.

If this was a scholarship FOR high school, don't include it.

birdmann783

New

Post by birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:01 pm

Bosque wrote:

Is this a scholarship for college? If so, then put it under the college section with the deans list, honor societies, and clubs.

it wasnt a scholarship typically meant for high school. I just happened to win it while I was in high school.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:01 pm

birdmann783 wrote:
FreshPrince wrote:

I had 2 internships but they were in high school. I just didn't write extensive for no reason
Not relevant.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:03 pm

birdmann783 wrote:
Bosque wrote:

it wasnt a scholarship typically meant for high school. I just happened to win it while I was in high school.
Meh, ask someone who actually knows what your are talking about. We are just getting the shape of things, we don't know your situation exactly.

I would suggest not including it though.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:04 pm

While people are generally ranking/prestige whores, I can't imagine anyone you ever meet in your entire life from this point forward would care that you went to a "top 100" high school. The same goes for whatever passes for "extensive experience in civil engineering" at the high school level. Focus on what you've accomplished since graduating high school.

Edit.

Reason: it's high school.

mah2012

New

Post by mah2012 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:06 pm

I was under the impression that it is essentially Resume 101 that as soon as you enter college you should never include anything from high school.

FreshPrince

New

Post by FreshPrince » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:07 pm

birdmann783 wrote:
FreshPrince wrote:

What could you possibly have done at a high school level that made any contribution to the engineering society or that shaped your intellectual being to the point that it still has a profound effect on who you are 4 years later? Don't include it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”