Max. traffic tickets for your application? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
CG614

Silver

Re: Max. traffic tickets for your application?

Post by CG614 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:14 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:I think as long as they are civil citations they really don't matter.
Now that is sound advice.

ert335

New

Post by ert335 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:29 am

do you think there's a limit, though? obviously i've been pretty stupid, got i think 3 speeding tickets in high school, and i have two MIPs and a PI through college... obviously it's too late to have changed, but i have now and i've toned down big time. i'm guessing an addendum of some sort is going to be necessary, but not necessarily saying "sorry" because that doesn't do shit...?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:15 am

I think it depends on what the infraction is. No one gives a crap about speeding because everyone does it.

Drinking citations are a little more severe.
Last edited by kalvano on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:23 am

lharsha wrote:I have had 5 different traffic violations over the course of 5 years. 4 speeding and 1 red light. I just read about reporting this to law schools on your applications. I am worried my law school dreams are coming crashing down around me. I have never had my license suspended and have taken dd for 3 of them, the last one I had to take the points. The most recent was this past may on mother's day. I know I need to disclose them all, but will this hurt my chances a lot?
Fuck them. It's none of their business. Take the 5th.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:24 am

ITT: We learn that Kalvano is a wild child.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:34 am

romothesavior wrote:ITT: We learn that Kalvano is a wild child.

That's fine to assume, as long as you get the hell out of my way.

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:19 pm

I had 4 alcohol related citations including one night spent in jail. I included an addendum explaining each incident where I fully accepted the responsibility and did not make excuses.

Of course my personal statement was about getting sober, so I think the adcomms were more likely to buy into my statement that I had learned, matured, and would not repeat my mistakes.

rockstar4488

Bronze

Post by rockstar4488 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 pm

I was told at an open house with an admissions rep that status offenses are not relevant. I don't know where the line is between what a committee finds irrelevant and what they don't. I'm guessing it is pretty universal though. I think (and I could be wrong) that drug infractions are a big deal because it disqualifies you from federal aid. I'm guessing for the vast majority of people this essentially makes law school impossible.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:49 am

rockstar4488 wrote:I was told at an open house with an admissions rep that status offenses are not relevant. I don't know where the line is between what a committee finds irrelevant and what they don't. I'm guessing it is pretty universal though. I think (and I could be wrong) that drug infractions are a big deal because it disqualifies you from federal aid. I'm guessing for the vast majority of people this essentially makes law school impossible.
Was that for a school that made you disclose traffic violations? So, let me get this straight. One Adcom tells you that they are irrelevant, therefore they are irrelevant for all schools? That sounds about right.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:21 am

I called all the schools that I applied to that made you disclose traffic violations and the result was universal across the board - "We don't care about them, it's just for later on when you apply for the bar."

Without fail, they all said they did not care about minor traffic violations, even after being informed I had a lot of them.

rockstar4488

Bronze

Post by rockstar4488 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:31 pm

CG614 wrote:
rockstar4488 wrote:I was told at an open house with an admissions rep that status offenses are not relevant. I don't know where the line is between what a committee finds irrelevant and what they don't. I'm guessing it is pretty universal though. I think (and I could be wrong) that drug infractions are a big deal because it disqualifies you from federal aid. I'm guessing for the vast majority of people this essentially makes law school impossible.
Was that for a school that made you disclose traffic violations? So, let me get this straight. One Adcom tells you that they are irrelevant, therefore they are irrelevant for all schools? That sounds about right.
Yes, if I had to guess, I'd say that amount that adcoms care about status offenses is pretty universal from school to school. There's no need to read what is clearly identified as my own opinion like it's an LSAT question.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:57 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:
CG614 wrote:
Yes, if I had to guess, I'd say that amount that adcoms care about status offenses is pretty universal from school to school. There's no need to read what is clearly identified as my own opinion like it's an LSAT question.
HA, I am sorry. I use logic in all aspects of life, apparently others do not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”