LSAT and doing well in law school Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nascent

New

LSAT and doing well in law school

Post by nascent » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Just a question that came into my mind few seconds ago...

Do people who did well on LSAT have higher chance of doing well in law school? I would assume yes, since LSAT is one of the most important factors (may be the most) that law schools look at to choose their candidates. Then again, I also heard that just because you came into a law school with higher LSAT score than others doesn't mean you will have easier time.

Any opinions?

rando

Silver

Re: LSAT and doing well in law school

Post by rando » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:23 pm

nascent wrote:Just a question that came into my mind few seconds ago...

Do people who did well on LSAT have higher chance of doing well in law school? I would assume yes, since LSAT is one of the most important factors (may be the most) that law schools look at to choose their candidates. Then again, I also heard that just because you came into a law school with higher LSAT score than others doesn't mean you will have easier time.

Any opinions?
There is a statistical correlation out there. I want to say it is .18 but I may be off by a bit.

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:28 pm

rando wrote:

Any opinions?
There is a statistical correlation out there. I want to say it is .18 but I may be off by a bit.
I believe it is .16

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Didn't this exact thread happen like a week ago? And it collapsed into fighting and name calling?

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:36 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:37 pm

eldizknee wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:And it collapsed into fighting and name calling?
This is like 3/4 of the threads on TLS
God love TLS.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:40 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
eldizknee wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:And it collapsed into fighting and name calling?
This is like 3/4 of the threads on TLS
God love TLS.
You would love TTTLS.

MikeDicta

New

Post by MikeDicta » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:48 pm

The R squared is pretty weak; from what I've heard, it's a .4. I know--"heard".

That's why you've a GPA, and a PS, and the myriad factors admit people take in to account.

We all know, or should know, that it doesn't strongly *determine* or *predict* anything with reliability.

Indeed, Yalies are generally above the 3rd IQ SD. But who's going to thrive in law school? S/he who is really good at everything the LSAT doesn't necessarily explain. That's a bigger boat, my friend. Just work hard, be intrepid, and most of all -- be your best. You'll be happy no matter what.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:55 pm

Any opinions?
You are competing against people who got pretty much the same score as you did. So it's not really a big factor. If you packed T14 students into Cooley, they'd mostly dominate the top of the class. But 162 vs a 167 is pretty nearly a level playing field.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:59 pm

the lsat measures your ability to do well on the lsat. that is it. Law schools use it because depending on what major you had where you went to school etc, how much maturing you had to do between the ages of 18- 22, in undergrad can and most likely did influence your gpa. the lsat is a way to even out the field so to speak. It doent really measure your work ethic in law school, or your ability to manage academics and other life things, or your ability to be a lawyer. study, take the test and enjoy life. Once you get in- that where you prove your ability as a law student ( after your first year, the lsat doesnt matter- only your grades do)

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:02 pm

northwood wrote:the lsat measures your ability to do well on the lsat. that is it. Law schools use it because depending on what major you had where you went to school etc, how much maturing you had to do between the ages of 18- 22, in undergrad can and most likely did influence your gpa. the lsat is a way to even out the field so to speak. It doent really measure your work ethic in law school, or your ability to manage academics and other life things, or your ability to be a lawyer. study, take the test and enjoy life. Once you get in- that where you prove your ability as a law student ( after your first year, the lsat doesnt matter- only your grades do)
lolol.

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:05 pm

mallard wrote:
northwood wrote:the lsat measures your ability to do well on the lsat. that is it. Law schools use it because depending on what major you had where you went to school etc, how much maturing you had to do between the ages of 18- 22, in undergrad can and most likely did influence your gpa. the lsat is a way to even out the field so to speak. It doent really measure your work ethic in law school, or your ability to manage academics and other life things, or your ability to be a lawyer. study, take the test and enjoy life. Once you get in- that where you prove your ability as a law student ( after your first year, the lsat doesnt matter- only your grades do)
lolol.
I always thought LSAT measured penis size/breast size.

nascent

New

Post by nascent » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:12 pm

megaTTTron wrote:Didn't this exact thread happen like a week ago? And it collapsed into fighting and name calling?
Dang didn't want to repost a similar topic again.. It was like a sudden question I got and I just wanted some opinions lol. But it seems like it really doesn't have much correlation and that's a good news cuz I don't want to start my first day of law school thinking that i will have no chance against a student who received a full ride or something cuz of his/her LSAT score.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”