Droid apps? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
manbearwig

Bronze

Droid apps?

Post by manbearwig » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:42 pm

I just got a Droid Incredible and I was wondering if there are any apps I should download that'll be useful in law school? Even just ones for like planning or organizing.

Thanks.

NCtoVAtoNC

New

Re: Droid apps?

Post by NCtoVAtoNC » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:47 pm

I have a droid as well. The only app I currently have is one called "legal terms". It's pretty much just a dictionary.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:55 pm

NCtoVAtoNC wrote:I have a droid as well. The only app I currently have is one called "Legal Terms". It's pretty much just a dictionary.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Also, for all I know, everyone already knows about this, but people with droids should check this out.

http://beta.swype.com/

It's a beta version of a really fast way to input text. Basically, instead of hitting each letter individually, you "swipe" your finger across the letters in order for each word and it figures out what word you want. It's really pretty sweet.

mec30

Bronze

Post by mec30 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:48 pm

I've had a DI for a while. The top programs IMHO.

The google programs (from most impressive to least, i.e. they may not always be useful) :
-Google Sky Map
Shows you the location of bodies in space (moon, planets, galaxies, sun, ect.) along with constellations.
-Google Voice (only if you have a GV account - free with invite)
It's free visual voicemail (will also transcribe voice messages to text) plus a phone number that will ring all of your phones (home, cell, work, whatever...). I have one number in the area code of my school and my original verizon number.
-Google Googles
Great program for looking up books and other products and ordering them right from your phone just by taking a picture of it. Works very well. 90% accuracy I've found.
-GTalk App
Not impressive visually or technologically but a program I use often. It's especially useful if you IM people via Gchat often. Awesome replacement for texting if you have a limited plan (as I do).
-Google Listen
Only if you listen to alot of podcasts. I use this when I get tired of listening to music when I'm running.
-Google Finance
I thought the bloomburg app for Iphone was better but the google program is good too. It will give you market news and news on your stock picks.
Last edited by mec30 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mec30

Bronze

Post by mec30 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:59 pm

Non-google programs:

Games:
I only have two. Newton and Robo Defense. Get it, learn it, do it. Drop is OK if you absolutly need a "Falldown" TI-83 type game.
I've tried a number of crossword games and puzzle games and they all suck.

Navigation and Points of interest (in order of most used):
-Yelp app
I could not live life without it. (Only if you're a yelp addict)
-Aloqa
Has other things yelp does not like pizza places that deliver, nearby objects that have a wikipedia entry, and recent/upcoming concerts and shows.
-Zagat nru
Least useful but most impressive to show friends. Shows the location of eateries and thier orientation to you.
-Layar
Very resource heavy. Nice app to show friends but I almost never use it.

Multimedia (in no order, because they are all good and unique):
-Qik
Stream live video to your free qik.com account. I've had family watch video of an event live while I was at it. They did not need to register to watch.
-Remote for Itunes
Self explanatory. Really cool if your PC is connected to a nice set of speakers.
-Gmote
Same thing as Remote for Itunes but the computer does not need to have Itunes installed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mec30

Bronze

Post by mec30 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Tool programs (again no order, all are useful in their own way):
-handycalc
Basically a TI-83 that will also simplify algebraic expressions, very cool and powerful.
-Compass
It's a compass.
-GPS Status
If you want to know where in the sky GPS satellites are in your area, your GPS connection strength, and the strength of earth’s magnetic field in your area (and declination) this is the app to have.
-gStrings
Best guitar tuner I've used
-WiFi analyzer
Found out which channel to put your router on for the best signal
-Skype mobile
Get skype calls on your phone.
-Barcode Scanner
Read QR code and barcodes like this one:
--ImageRemoved--
-Shazam
Find out the name and artist of any song you hear
-Tapatalk
Read fourms on your phone more easily
-PocketBlu
Bluray player remote for video that have PocketBlu (works on PS3)
-Asteroid File manager
Good file manager to use if you don't plug your phone into your PC very often
-PDAnet
I'll let you find out the wonders of this program yourself. Pleas, don’t abuse it.
Last edited by mec30 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mec30

Bronze

Post by mec30 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:27 pm

News programs (from most used to least used):
-NewsRoom
RSS aggregator. Best I've seen.
-1Cast
If you like watching your news instead of reading it.
-TheWeatherChannel app
As good as the stock sense weather is, this gives you a radar map of storm formations as well as a text description of the weather throughout the day.

That should keep you busy.

I wouldn't bother with power management apps or task killers. The DI is very good at regulating itself (changing screen brightness based on outside light) and I've never had the phone freeze or crash or anything. Watch out for slowdown when you're installing new apps though. Happy droiding.

PS
I just realized this was for law school related apps but I already posted this and I'm guessing someone will find it useful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”