for people who were not poli sci or intl relations major... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mz253

Bronze

for people who were not poli sci or intl relations major...

Post by mz253 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:39 pm

how did you guys made up your mind to study law? especially if you are from a highly quantitative background, say math and engineering... or economics?

bex

New

Re: for people who were not poli sci or intl relations major...

Post by bex » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:19 pm

That's presuming we didn't already know we wanted to do law -- I always knew I wanted law school, but kind of fell into economics in undergrad. It was a small major at my school and I was on track to graduate early, I took a few classes and liked it. Plus I felt it would be a good background, especially if my legal career didn't turn out the way I wanted.

Canarsie

Bronze

Post by Canarsie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Just wanted to note I'm an International Relations major but I actually didn't go down this path because I liked law. I wanted to be a linguistics major but my university doesn't offer that. IR is a good second-choice for me, because I love foreign language, culture, and bigger issues like nuclear nonproliferation... fascinating to me (just like US history always was... haha). I also liked IR because I felt it would give me a very broad pool of careers I could go into. Not necessary true IRL but I thought it when I was 17.

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:41 pm

got laid off by my ibank, other banks weren't hiring, and i didn't have the work exp. needed for b-school.

probably the reason most finance/business majors are heading to law school these days...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:44 pm

I'm an English major (Phi & Women's Studies minor) and it was between law school and graduate school for english...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

truffleshuffle

New

Post by truffleshuffle » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:47 pm

Was a radio-tv-film major interested in sports broadcasting. Did a few jobs, realized I didn't want to be 40 and still be schlepping around to cover random games no one watches. Also, everyone who worked at the things had a side job (think bartending). Only way to make decent living doing that stuff is to work for a network and constantly be on the road.

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:03 pm

It was either law school or graduate school for me. I did well on the GRE practice tests that I took but law sounded better with more mobility. I have a 3.54 and a 160 (at least until June scores come out) and I figure can at least get into a tier 2 with a little money. Maybe do the federal loan forgiveness if I can get a job. I believe law school would help me accomplish my 2 biggest goals in life: to not end up living in a shack and to die of natural causes.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:08 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:It was either law school or graduate school for me. I did well on the GRE practice tests that I took but law sounded better with more mobility. I have a 3.54 and a 160 (at least until June scores come out) and I figure can at least get into a tier 2 with a little money. Maybe do the federal loan forgiveness if I can get a job. I believe law school would help me accomplish my 2 biggest goals in life: to not end up living in a shack and to die of natural causes.

what is this federal loan forgiveness thing?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:15 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:25 pm

irie wrote:got laid off by my ibank, other banks weren't hiring, and i didn't have the work exp. needed for b-school.

probably the reason most finance/business majors are heading to law school these days...
I'm a finance major, decided on it originally because I wanted to go into federal law enforcement and was told by and FBI and DEA agent that acct/finance was the best way to go. I have since (while interning at a federal law enforcement agency) decided I rather be a lawyer. But I also found that I really like finance. And what I have learned in finance will be useful in my life even if I don't plan on working for an Ibank.

malfurion

Bronze

Post by malfurion » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Never really considered law as a career when I was younger, mainly because all I ever heard was negative things about lawyers. Went to an engineering school and double majored in an engineering and a science. I burned out after several years of slaving away as an engineer and realizing that nothing I had done in all those years was of any value whatsoever, and all of it only served to make rich people richer. Considered going for a Ph.D. in physics or astronomy and trying to become a professor, but I'm the type of person that can't stay interested in one thing for very long and instead I jump from one obsession to another. So that type of research would've ended up making me miserable again. Going to law school to try and make one final effort to do something that I consider worthwhile with my life. I'm only interested in govt. and public interest jobs. The plan is to do that for 10 years after law school (maybe longer if I really find a job that I love) and then open up a coffee shop / lounge / bookstore type of place. If none of that works out, I'll just go be a hermit somewhere where nobody can find me!

BizOwner

New

Post by BizOwner » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:22 pm

malfurion wrote:. The plan is to do that for 10 years after law school (maybe longer if I really find a job that I love) and then open up a coffee shop / lounge / bookstore type of place. If none of that works out, I'll just go be a hermit somewhere where nobody can find me!
Include chess lounge and Im in. Partner up?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”