dilemma--I've got local career, wife got a 177 LSAT Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
World B. Free

Bronze

Re: dilemma--I've got local career, wife got a 177 LSAT

Post by World B. Free » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:34 pm

GATORTIM wrote:I'm only posting to boost the number of posts between OP and him coming back
Ha ha... Since this was OP's 1st post, maybe he forgot to check back

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:35 pm

World B. Free wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:I'm only posting to boost the number of posts between OP and him coming back
or maybe it was a really freaking good flame after all

World B. Free

Bronze

Post by World B. Free » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:38 pm

jayn3 wrote:
World B. Free wrote:
or maybe it was a really freaking good flame after all
at least it gave everyone something to talk about

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:38 pm

I don't know why anybody has continued to respond to this thread (myself included) without some idea of HOW good the local schools are. If there's a T20 or T30 school thats near, with that LSAT and her GPA she can probably get an amazing scholarship, and then you both win. She gets the benefit of putting her scores to their full use (through scholarship, rather than t6 prestige) and you get the benefit of not selling the dealership that's been in your family for years, while also keeping your wife.

februaryftw

Bronze

Post by februaryftw » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:44 pm

notalawyer wrote:Other thing is, I married a smartie, who just graduated with highest honors at the local college. We'd always planned on her going to law school around here afterward. She still insists that she'd be okay with that, but I know that she could go somewhere like Harvard, and I'd feel extremely guilty if she gave something like that up for me.

So I guess my question is basically whether in the long run it'd be better financially for me to sell my business and go with her to some fancy school, or have her stay around here and go to law school at a local law school?
This is really two separate questions. As others have noted, probably the best financial move is either a) having an experienced GM take over the dealership while you are away and working elsewhere (e.g. Boston) or b) a full scholarship at your local school, depending upon what that local school actually is.

Option A is also probably the best move if you want to help your wife pursue opportunities she wouldn't otherwise be able to pursue, but without more specifics it is hard to say. The whole second question of whether you'd be holding your wife back if you didn't move etc. is way too personal and complicated a question to answer, especially with limited info. But given your wife's willingness to stay local if needed, and your desire of what is best for her, it sounds like you'll both come to well thought out decision that you both can agree on. Best of luck, just remember it is a good problem to have!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

phillaw

New

Post by phillaw » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Notalawyer, try this exercise that my wife and I did three years ago when we had to make a similar decision:

Sit down and try to visualize the life you and her plan to have in 5-10 years (and even after that if you want). Think and describe specifically: the house, the neighborhood, the kids (if wished), the distance from family and good friends, the legal job market, the sales job market, the economic future of the community, the daily routine, the income/total debt burden, the working hours, the degrees/alumni contacts desired, the pro sports teams, the access to recreation and entertainment, the weather, etc.

Once you have that life visualized and she starts researching law schools and the legal job market, the two of you should plan out at least a 5-year strategy on how to get there. The strategy should maximize both persons' potentials (do your business skills depend on the local economy? does her future job depend on a top law degree?). Be conservative and realistic, but also dream big and try for the best because this will make the exercise more enjoyable.

I may sound like a tool, but now that my wife and I are actually achieving the things we put in that strategy it feels awesome. But feelings always change, so throw the strategy out the window whenever you want.

dubsky

New

Post by dubsky » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:31 pm

I wish I had the OP's problem

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm

dubsky wrote:I wish I had the OP's problem
What, being bored online?

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:22 pm

phillaw wrote:Notalawyer, try this exercise that my wife and I did three years ago when we had to make a similar decision:

Sit down and try to visualize the life you and her plan to have in 5-10 years (and even after that if you want). Think and describe specifically: the house, the neighborhood, the kids (if wished), the distance from family and good friends, the legal job market, the sales job market, the economic future of the community, the daily routine, the income/total debt burden, the working hours, the degrees/alumni contacts desired, the pro sports teams, the access to recreation and entertainment, the weather, etc.

Once you have that life visualized and she starts researching law schools and the legal job market, the two of you should plan out at least a 5-year strategy on how to get there. The strategy should maximize both persons' potentials (do your business skills depend on the local economy? does her future job depend on a top law degree?). Be conservative and realistic, but also dream big and try for the best because this will make the exercise more enjoyable.

I may sound like a tool, but now that my wife and I are actually achieving the things we put in that strategy it feels awesome. But feelings always change, so throw the strategy out the window whenever you want.
This is truly great advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legal_eagle

Bronze

Post by legal_eagle » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bestusernameever wrote:Dont drag your wife down man. If she can go to a top tier law school, let her go. Perhaps you can do long distance for a year while you try to wrap up your plans. Destiny is greater for her dude
Sounds like a recipe for losing half his business in a divorce.
TITCR

mhernton

Bronze

Post by mhernton » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:43 pm

This actually sounds like a great opportunity. Car Sales are a portable business, and if your are pulling in 200K a year you should have no problem setting up a lot where ever she goes to law school, and setting up a partner or manager at the lot you currently own. You set up an operations manual, and fly back twice a month to make sure everything is on track. You can also buy some property to set up a lot where she goes to law school, get a local auto broker's license, and the required bond to start up shop. You didn't mention kids so that won't be an issue. You'll be busy enough to have your own thing and stay out of her hair, and increasing your business profits.

My wife an I are going to separate schools for two years or more, because she is thinking about a masters after she finishes up her BS.

Like I said don't look at this as either/or, look at it as an opportunity for expansion.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:53 pm

mhernton wrote:This actually sounds like a great opportunity. Car Sales are a portable business, and if your are pulling in 200K a year you should have no problem setting up a lot where ever she goes to law school, and setting up a partner or manager at the lot you currently own. You set up an operations manual, and fly back twice a month to make sure everything is on track. You can also buy some property to set up a lot where she goes to law school, get a local auto broker's license, and the required bond to start up shop. You didn't mention kids so that won't be an issue. You'll be busy enough to have your own thing and stay out of her hair, and increasing your business profits.

Way too complicated. It takes a lot more than that to set up a car dealership.

It would be better to find someone he trusts to manage it, and pay them $100K or so. While that's going on, selling at someone else's dealership is significantly less hassle and liability and expense. With a resume like that, he could probably get a nice gig at a luxury car place, which is very nice. :D :D

Once she is done with school, just leave. It's much easier to sell at a place that already has an established reputation than try and establish your own place.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Attempt to sell the business outright and pocket a cool mil?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:08 pm

If your wife really got those grades and scores, then she knew she would be a contender for a top law school, yet she CHOSE to marry a man who owns a car lot in a city with no top law school. The, she already made her decision when you got married - you should feel incredibly lucky to have such a devoted and loving wife. She is lucky, too, that her husband wants to be supportive up to the point of giving up his family business.

I say: Buy her some jewelry and take her on a nice 2nd honeymoon before she starts at the local law school (on a full ride scholarship). And don't get her pregnant until after law school. Live happily ever after.

Mosca

Bronze

Post by Mosca » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Tell her to go to Vanderbilt.
Last edited by Mosca on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:35 pm

Man.

Thank god this board gives better (if just barely) advice on law school than it does on marriage or business.

toolfan

Bronze

Post by toolfan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:05 pm

If it is her passion, she should go. While attending HYS is phenomenal, it is in no way shape or form a golden ticket. Maybe it still is, but not like it used to be. And are you okay with "taking one for the team?" I mean, you make good money.

Final word of advice - let her go. if you own a company, hire a qualified, trustworthy manager to take your place, and take a pay cut.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:15 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Personally I think that part of exchanging vows means maybe passing up options like Harvard Law. .
No way. Never. If I get into HLS I'm going, come hell or high water.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:59 pm

Sorry if OP does eventually respond, but does anyone else thnk this may be LSAC's new way of testng expermental writing sample sections? Sounds like two equally arguable decisions...both of which are ungraded.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:34 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:Sorry if OP does eventually respond, but does anyone else thnk this may be LSAC's new way of testng expermental writing sample sections? Sounds like two equally arguable decisions...both of which are ungraded.
--ImageRemoved--

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm greatly amused by the people who think that getting married somehow means you have to sacrifice something like attending HLS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:45 pm

Last edited by youpiiz on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kchuck

Bronze

Post by Kchuck » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:47 pm

Your username and avatar are contradictory.

RudeDudewithAttitude

New

Post by RudeDudewithAttitude » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:50 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:Personally I think that part of exchanging vows means maybe passing up options like Harvard Law. .
Law school prestige >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Love, Happiness, Hobbies, Stuff Like That

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:02 pm

RudeDudewithAttitude wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
Law school prestige >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Love, Happiness, Hobbies, Stuff Like That
TITCR

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”