Parents help move in - weird? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
teabag

New

Re: Parents help move in - weird?

Post by teabag » Sun May 23, 2010 4:03 am

entrechatsix wrote:am i missing something? how will anyone know who helps you move in?
that is what i want to know and if they do know who will care?

halfwaygone

New

Post by halfwaygone » Sun May 23, 2010 6:57 am

d34dluk3 wrote:I would chuckle, but no big deal. I've also been out of college for almost a year and have been taking care of myself for like 5 years. It's gonna be surreal when I show up along with kids who still have their parents in tow lol.
I've been out of college for 4 years (will be 5 by the time I go back to LS). My parents might still help me move! Either that, or a friend will. When I went to get my work visa to move to SK, I had to travel out of state to visit the Consulate, and my Mom came along with me so we could hang out together since I had to take the time out anyway. I think it's nice to have family around to share things with.

NOW, if your parents are going to do your laundry every week or call your professors when you get a bad grade or something, that's totally HS. But moving? Even visiting with you (so long as they aren't trying to control the situation but are just there for company)? That's totally normal, in my opinion.

Who cares what everyone else thinks? Unless you're acting weird about it, it won't be weird.

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Sun May 23, 2010 8:53 am

A'nold wrote:
peterswe wrote:Whats wrong with parents attending ASD? Is it that horrible for parents to be curious about what there children are doing with their lives? What if they just want a break from their own (possibly boring) daily lives, and want to tag along as a last outing with their kid?

Think you all are weird - be nice to your parents, they raised you.
While I think people that judge the whole parent thing are often woefully immature, there is a line. Bringing a controlling parent to ASD that asks tons of questions and stomps around introducing their child to people really do need to cut the cord. I mean, you have graduated college, do you still have your mommy doing laundry for you on the weekends? Probs. for these kids.
Yup I bring home my laundry when I do come home. You mad my parents are supportive so that I can focus on important things? Im actually letting my mother help me pick out an apartment when I move since she wants to know im safe and in a good location. Doesnt matter too much to me where I live (except for a few criteria), but it sure gives her a lot of pleasure to search for and look at apartments. Remember that you (or your siblings) are probably the greatest sources of pleasure for your parents - embrace this (assuming you had "good" parents).

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Sun May 23, 2010 9:25 am

ChaotiCait wrote:My little sister is starting undergrad in the same city, so my parent will be helping both of us. Why pass up free moving help and possibly some free meals? Many of us probably won't see our families for a while, and its a good opportunity to explore somewhere with people you care about.
Every time I move my parents help me and before they leave my mom cooks this huge meal. If it's up to me, I'll be 35 still with my parents helping me move as long as includes a home cooked meal.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:42 am

Um, my mom and stepdad came to ASW and my mom and aunt are helping me move in. I really don't care what anyone thinks, and neither should you. I like having my mom around, especially when it comes to shopping for home goods and food. If people think that's immature, then that's their business. I save a lot of money when I'm with my mom. People will get over it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Sun May 23, 2010 12:00 pm

Not sure why anyone would find it amusing or weird that someone's parents helped them move in. I'm bringing my parents along when I move because I want to spend time with them, because I need help moving in and don't have enough money or stuff to justify hiring movers, and because I'm going to LS in a pretty damn cool city that they want to see. In my family, & the families of most people I know, it would be weirder for someone's family not to help them move or come see them off if they were moving to a new place.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”