Ivy League Advantage Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Diamond

Re: Ivy League Advantage

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:27 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
pugalicious wrote:
Seriously. Take it from a female: you can do better. : )

50/50 chance Fox is pming this girl V8.3's penis pics as we speak.

soundgardener

New

Post by soundgardener » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:31 pm

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:33 pm

soundgardener wrote:--ImageRemoved--
You don't get that meme do you son?

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:57 pm

I knew someone else would catch this. My faith is renewed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Always Credited wrote:
I knew someone else would catch this. My faith is renewed.
I spent faaaar too long arguing with that bozo not to notice this alias. :D

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:35 pm

GermxSmokehouse wrote:I attend an ivy league school, but my GPA (3.3) is too low to get into some of the top schools. I have heard that no boost is given to ivy league or similarly prestigious diplomas. I'm worried that, if I were to attend law school, I would be much smarter than my peers who attended schools with less qualified students (and therefore easier curves, etc). I don't want to be surrounded by morons--that's why I decided to go to an ivy league school after all. So what do you think, are the students with average gpas who attend schools like Arizona State morons compared to an average ivy league graduate?

I know it might sound like I'm being "douchey", but in my personal experiences, students from state schools aren't nearly as intelligent as my peers in the ivy league, and I find it hard to believe that their GPA is equally qualifying. Any anecdotes are appreciated.
you seem dumb
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:52 pm

--ImageRemoved--

mleibman

New

Post by mleibman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:35 am

GermxSmokehouse wrote:I attend an ivy league school, but my GPA (3.3) is too low to get into some of the top schools. I have heard that no boost is given to ivy league or similarly prestigious diplomas. I'm worried that, if I were to attend law school, I would be much smarter than my peers who attended schools with less qualified students (and therefore easier curves, etc). I don't want to be surrounded by morons--that's why I decided to go to an ivy league school after all. So what do you think, are the students with average gpas who attend schools like Arizona State morons compared to an average ivy league graduate?

I know it might sound like I'm being "douchey", but in my personal experiences, students from state schools aren't nearly as intelligent as my peers in the ivy league, and I find it hard to believe that their GPA is equally qualifying. Any anecdotes are appreciated.
Way to "generalize," you will do great in law school with logic like that. Did you know that thousands of students every year get into ivy leagues (like myself, Columbia, Cornell, Penn) but can't afford them? Did you know that many students get scholarship elsewhere, and decide against the Ivy league? Did you also know that most people on this forum want to go to law school, and as a result, many would choose to spend money on law school as opposed to undergraduate education? You need to get over yourself, because with an attitude, and a GPA like that, you're going no where.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:45 am

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Thu May 06, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:49 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The average for UPenn is only 163. So half of UPenn students who take the LSAT score under 163. LOL Brilliant minds my ass.
itt: df outs himself as not knowing the difference between a median and an average. the value of a state-school education on full display, people.
itt: APNS outs himself as not knowing the definition of 'average'. representative of your [strike]arithmetic mean[/strike] [strike]mode[/strike] [strike]median[/strike] average hls student? you decide.

mleibman

New

Post by mleibman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:54 am

Desert Fox wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:
GermxSmokehouse wrote: I know it might sound like I'm being "douchey", but in my personal experiences, students from state schools aren't nearly as intelligent as my peers in the ivy league, and I find it hard to believe that their GPA is equally qualifying. Any anecdotes are appreciated.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doesn't Ivy League school practice GPA inflations? Oh yeah, how many legacies and rich people's kids did your school admit last year?

Don't worry about your 3.3, get your daddy to donate $10 million to Harvard or Yale, i am sure they will let you in if you score above 160.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/attorney32
The average for UPenn is only 163. So half of UPenn students who take the LSAT score under 163. LOL Brilliant minds my ass.
itt: df outs himself as not knowing the difference between a median and an average. the value of a state-school education on full display, people.
You lack necessary cause here, sir. A state school did necessarily contribute to his misunderstanding with regards to median and average. And if that is the average, then there probably are a lot of people who scored really low on the LSAT. Poke a hole in that ego a little bit, you need to deflate it.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:57 am

mleibman wrote:[strike]You lack necessary cause here, sir. A state school did necessarily contribute to his misunderstanding with regards to median and average. And if that is the average, then there probably are a lot of people who scored really low on the LSAT. Poke a hole in that ego a little bit, you need to deflate it[/strike].
I think it's time for you to go make APNS a sandwich

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mleibman

New

Post by mleibman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:01 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
mleibman wrote:[strike]You lack necessary cause here, sir. A state school did necessarily contribute to his misunderstanding with regards to median and average. And if that is the average, then there probably are a lot of people who scored really low on the LSAT. Poke a hole in that ego a little bit, you need to deflate it[/strike].
I think it's time for you to go make APNS a sandwich
I surely hope that isn't some misogynist post aimed to insult me being a woman. In any event, I have no clue what else one could possibly be inferring by telling me to go "make a sandwich".

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:02 am

you calling me a sexist

mleibman

New

Post by mleibman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:03 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:you calling me a sexist

If that is what you meant by that post, then yes I am.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:04 am

Why is there a women posting about math ahhhhhhhhh

I need a damn sandwich.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:04 am

mleibman wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:you calling me a sexist
If that is what you meant by that post, then yes I am.
reported

mleibman

New

Post by mleibman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 am

Reported for what? You were the one who was out of line.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:07 am

mleibman wrote:Reported for what? You were the one who was out of line.
I'm not sure you and TLS were meant for each other

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:08 am

You must excuse my friend, he is an engineer....women aren't exactly his forte. Give him a logic game though, and he'll destroy it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigFatPanda

Bronze

Post by BigFatPanda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:08 am

Desert Fox wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:
GermxSmokehouse wrote: I know it might sound like I'm being "douchey", but in my personal experiences, students from state schools aren't nearly as intelligent as my peers in the ivy league, and I find it hard to believe that their GPA is equally qualifying. Any anecdotes are appreciated.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doesn't Ivy League school practice GPA inflations? Oh yeah, how many legacies and rich people's kids did your school admit last year?

Don't worry about your 3.3, get your daddy to donate $10 million to Harvard or Yale, i am sure they will let you in if you score above 160.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/attorney32
The average for UPenn is only 163. So half of UPenn students who take the LSAT score under 163. LOL Brilliant minds my ass.
I think its a fair statement:

Given a certain mean/average value, the statistical probability of 50% being below that value and 50% above that value is more likely than not.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:09 am

D. H2Oman wrote:Why is there a women posting about math ahhhhhhhhh
I need a damn sandwich.
If we accept the premise that people shouldn't post about topics they know nothing about,
and that people should effectively use their time to increase the utility of those around them,

then applying that to the situation here,
mleibman does not know the definition of 'average', or that median is simply one type of average, and therefore by continuing the original misconception presented by APNS, her post only further confuses and perpetuates a common misunderstanding of statistical terms. She then should not be posting about averages and medians, which is ultimately detrimental to the learning of this community, and could instead increase utility by making a sandwich, which is enjoyable to eat, whether by APNS, myself, herself, or a dragon.

BigFatPanda

Bronze

Post by BigFatPanda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:11 am

I think he was just playing around

mleibman

New

Post by mleibman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:12 am

D. H2Oman wrote:

You must excuse my friend, he is an engineer....women aren't exactly his forte. Give him a logic game though, and he'll destroy it.
Fair enough. For you, I'll make a sandwich lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”