Playing a Sport in Law School..Bad Idea? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Is Playing a Sport (Club Soccer) in Law School feasible?

Yes
59%
No
19%
Depends
22%

Total votes: 78

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Playing a Sport in Law School..Bad Idea?

Post by Joga Bonito » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:27 pm

Is it feasible, or better yet, a good idea or a bad idea, to play soccer while in law school, especially as a 1L? Not necessarily NCAA, but club soccer (maybe NCAA)? Has anybody done this or know someone who has? Club would not be more than an 8 hour a week commitment, probably a good bit less (4-5hrs) most of the season from those I've talked to. Also, I'm aware that a sport and law school will take up most of my time and I'm okay with that. I welcome all opinions, informed and uninformed.

oberlin08

Bronze

Re: Playing a Sport in Law School..Bad Idea?

Post by oberlin08 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:29 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:Is it feasible, or better yet, a good idea or a bad idea, to play soccer while in law school, especially as a 1L? Not necessarily NCAA, but club soccer (maybe NCAA)? Has anybody done this or know someone who has? Club would not be more than an 8 hour a week commitment, probably a good bit less (4-5hrs) most of the season from those I've talked to. Also, I'm aware that a sport and law school will take up most of my time and I'm okay with that. I welcome all opinions, informed and uninformed.

I'm not in LS yet, but I plan on playing some lax (club - I already used my NCAA eligibility). I dont forsee it being a problem, I think it just depends on you personally, how well you use your time etc. I'm sure there will be certain periods of time where I really dont have much time at all to play, and other times when I have a little bit more time.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:Is it feasible, or better yet, a good idea or a bad idea, to play soccer while in law school, especially as a 1L? Not necessarily NCAA, but club soccer (maybe NCAA)? Has anybody done this or know someone who has? Club would not be more than an 8 hour a week commitment, probably a good bit less (4-5hrs) most of the season from those I've talked to. Also, I'm aware that a sport and law school will take up most of my time and I'm okay with that. I welcome all opinions, informed and uninformed.
Most decent sounding advice that I've heard includes "stay healthy/exercise". I don't think you would be spreading yourself too thin with 4-5 hours a week.

I'm an 0L.

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:36 pm

oberlin08 wrote:

I'm not in LS yet, but I plan on playing some lax (club - I already used my NCAA eligibility). I dont forsee it being a problem, I think it just depends on you personally, how well you use your time etc. I'm sure there will be certain periods of time where I really dont have much time at all to play, and other times when I have a little bit more time.
Thanks, I still have 4 years of NCAA eligibility cause I only played club in undergrad, my undergrad didn't have a mens NCAA soccer team, and I still have the desire to play NCAA, so I'm still flirting with the idea.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:

Thanks, I still have 4 years of NCAA eligibility cause I only played club in undergrad, my undergrad didn't have a mens NCAA soccer team, and I still have the desire to play NCAA, so I'm still flirting with the idea.

Also, I played DIII - and in the offseason all together (limited team practices + team workouts + individual workouts + team activities) it was like 20 hrs a week, but inseason it was more like 30-40. I hear D1 and D2 are different animal... probably something to consider.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:44 pm

For NCAA, I believe you have 4 years of eligibility, and you must use those 4 years by the end of the fifth calendar year after you begin Full time UG. If you fit that criterion, I suppose you could do it for a year (or two if you graduated early). Many club sports have similar eligibility requirements in an attempt to prevent 26 year old grad students from beating up on 18 year old kids, although they are rarely enforced.

Regarding whether or not you should, only you can decide but my immediate reaction is that it would be far too much. I don't know if you played an NCAA sport in UG, but I did for a couple years and it was a significant time committment (on the order of 25 hours per week in the off season and 45 hours per week in the regular season not including travel time). I am sure that I won't want to do that in law school. My plan right now is to just practice occasionally with the club team and play in a few games as time permits.

e: I am a phenomenal pitcher though, and we are in high demand, so depending on how much of a dick the soccer club director is, they may or may not put up with you only showing up when you feel like it.

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:18 pm

ughOSU wrote:For NCAA, I believe you have 4 years of eligibility, and you must use those 4 years by the end of the fifth calendar year after you begin Full time UG. If you fit that criterion, I suppose you could do it for a year (or two if you graduated early). Many club sports have similar eligibility requirements in an attempt to prevent 26 year old grad students from beating up on 18 year old kids, although they are rarely enforced.

Regarding whether or not you should, only you can decide but my immediate reaction is that it would be far too much. I don't know if you played an NCAA sport in UG, but I did for a couple years and it was a significant time committment (on the order of 25 hours per week in the off season and 45 hours per week in the regular season not including travel time). I am sure that I won't want to do that in law school. My plan right now is to just practice occasionally with the club team and play in a few games as time permits.

e: I am a phenomenal pitcher though, and we are in high demand, so depending on how much of a dick the soccer club director is, they may or may not put up with you only showing up when you feel like it.
Yeah, well, I guess NCAA is out even though it would be like D3. I think I'll just stick with club, I'm good so the coach may be okay with me not coming to every single practice, basically during exam week I guess.

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Yeah, its more than feasible. I've got friends who played club, and I'm about to start playing on Sunday. Granted, this is not for the school's own club side. Rather, it is for city leagues. It is a good idea, in that it will force you to get out of the house and get exercise. It is a bad idea, if you procrastinate heavily, and end up needing that time to cram in reading. If you do decide to play, Just make sure you have health insurance of some sort, in case you get injured.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:28 pm

No because soccer sucks!

Soccer was invented by European women to keep them busy while their husbands did the cooking- Hank Hill.

Also found this tidbit. So funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3otCUBh0bs0
Last edited by gdane on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:31 pm

I'm hoping to play Club Ultimate..so I hope so!

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:01 pm

macattaq wrote:Yeah, its more than feasible. I've got friends who played club, and I'm about to start playing on Sunday. Granted, this is not for the school's own club side. Rather, it is for city leagues. It is a good idea, in that it will force you to get out of the house and get exercise. It is a bad idea, if you procrastinate heavily, and end up needing that time to cram in reading. If you do decide to play, Just make sure you have health insurance of some sort, in case you get injured.
Were your friends who played in law school, if so this is encourgaging? I am a recovering procrastinater, but, I won't be procrastinating in law school, thats for damn sure. I've learned my lesson. Don't most schools make you buy health insurance?

Zoomba200

New

Post by Zoomba200 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:05 pm

I am also planning on playing a club sport. I don't have any input except to +1 the number of people in this thread planning on participating in club sports.

The Dan

Bronze

Post by The Dan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:11 pm

Varsity sports seem like a bad idea, but club sports are probably doable. I've done track for 4 years in undergrad, and I doubt I could make that kind of commitment in law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cemoore4

New

Post by Cemoore4 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:16 pm

I was planning on tryin to play club ice hockey in LS. I am just going to budget my time really well so I can play. Provide some motivation. Even if I think it is too much during 1L, it is always there for 2 and 3L

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:17 pm

gdane5 wrote:No because soccer sucks!

Soccer was invented by European women to keep them busy while their husbands did the cooking- Hank Hill.

Also found this tidbit. So funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3otCUBh0bs0
I assume your kidding?

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Cemoore4 wrote:I was planning on tryin to play club ice hockey in LS. I am just going to budget my time really well so I can play. Provide some motivation. Even if I think it is too much during 1L, it is always there for 2 and 3L
I plan on playing during 1L and if not def. during 2L and 3L.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:55 pm

No, im not kidding. I hate soccer.

But, to answer your question I would say go ahead and play. I play football (American) and I ended up spraining my ankle really badly. I was incapacitated for about 3 days. Fortunately, the days were Thursday, Friday and Saturday and I was able to walk on the foot very quickly. Just try to be careful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:32 pm

ughOSU wrote:For NCAA, I believe you have 4 years of eligibility, and you must use those 4 years by the end of the fifth calendar year after you begin Full time UG. If you fit that criterion, I suppose you could do it for a year (or two if you graduated early). Many club sports have similar eligibility requirements in an attempt to prevent 26 year old grad students from beating up on 18 year old kids, although they are rarely enforced.

I thought it was 5 years from the first day/time you participate in your first team activity? wasn't sure it was tied to UG?

Maybe I'm wrong though..

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:57 pm

Its 4 years. However, you can redshirt one year and play the remaining years. So you can be on a team for 5 years, but you can only play for 4 of those years. Hence why there are "Redshirt Freshman" or "Redshirt Juniors". These are actually sophmores and seniors.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:07 pm

I know several individuals participating in varsity or varsity level athletics as 1Ls. it is doable.

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:27 am

bilbobaggins wrote:I know several individuals participating in varsity or varsity level athletics as 1Ls. it is doable.
Doable is definitely different than good idea, but since it is club, I've got to say good idea. You should be getting that much exercise a week to be healthy anyway, so go for it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:38 am

gdane5 wrote:No, im not kidding. I hate soccer.

But, to answer your question I would say go ahead and play. I play football (American) and I ended up spraining my ankle really badly. I was incapacitated for about 3 days. Fortunately, the days were Thursday, Friday and Saturday and I was able to walk on the foot very quickly. Just try to be careful.
Hmmm well okay, I guess u have the right to hate something if u want. Why do u hate it, disliking it I can understand but hating it sounds like something personal. I don't like square dancing... but I have no reason to hate it per se, anyway thanks for the advice.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:02 am

oberlin08 wrote:I thought it was 5 years from the first day/time you participate in your first team activity? wasn't sure it was tied to UG?

Maybe I'm wrong though..
See "Graduate Student Eligibility": --LinkRemoved--
A student-athlete who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of the college or university which he or she previously attended as an undergraduate student may participate in intercollegiate athletics, provided he or she has eligibility remaining and is within five calendar years of initial full-time collegiate enrollment for Division I and within the first 10 full-time semesters of collegiate enrollment for Divisions II and III.
e: other restrictions apply if you're going to a different school than your UG

ee: sadly, yes, I have looked up all this stuff before.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:26 am

Would you be playing D1? You may be able to make some pretty good connections if you you want to become a sports agent...

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:33 am

You could 100% do it....I have more free time in law school then i did in undergrad (no work + no sports + no random papers + less classroom hours)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”