Statistics and Economics Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JimCarrey728

New

Statistics and Economics

Post by JimCarrey728 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:23 pm

I know both are very important in becoming a good lawyer. Does anyone know which class should I take first? Can I all of them. Can I take both ECO classes at the same time?

Statistics A, Microeconomics or Macroeconomics? Micro and Stats are the only required ones. So Im most concerned about those. I also want to take Macroeconomics, because I think it will benefit me as well. The classes are the Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Macroeconomics and Statistics A.

Statistics A-Basic concepts in descriptive statistics, probability, and statistical inference including: frequency distributions, measures of location and dispersion, correlation, binomial theorem, sampling, statistical estimation and hypothesis testing.

Princ of Microeconomics-This course provides an introduction to the theory and practice of micro-economic analysis. Topics discussed in this course include: demand and supply analysis, consumer behavior, elasticity, production and cost theory, price and output determination under alternative market models, and resource markets

Princ of Macroeconomics-This course introduces students to economics and the central topics of macroeconomics: output determination, unemployment and inflation, money and banking, fiscal and monetary policy, international trade, exchange rates and the balance of payments

eldizknee

Bronze

Re: Statistics and Economics

Post by eldizknee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:24 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:25 pm

For Econ take Micro then Macro. You can take them concurrently, but it's easier in that order.

Definitely take statistics. Doesn't really matter when

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:32 pm

Take econometrics + principles of Micro, Macro + Intermediate Micro, Macro... or just skip it all and read these three books:

1. http://www.amazon.com/Road-Serfdom-Docu ... =1-1-fkmr1

2. http://www.amazon.com/Capitalism-Freedo ... 580&sr=8-1

3. http://www.amazon.com/Common-Sense-Econ ... 616&sr=1-1

p.s. you can, and should, take both micro and macro simultaneously. Good luck!

Edit: if you only need one of either micro or macro, choose micro. Macro can be a waste of time if not taught well, while micro theory is universally accepted.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:35 pm

What are you majoring in?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:39 pm

I know both are very important in becoming a good lawyer. Does anyone know which class should I take first? Can I all of them. Can I take both ECO classes at the same time?
Outside of a few specialties, neither are important to becoming a good lawyer.

lewis louis

Bronze

Post by lewis louis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:47 pm

Don't take econometrics before taking an intro stats, and intermediate stats. Even if you make it through the class you won't learn anything.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:54 pm

nealric wrote:
Outside of a few specialties, neither are important to becoming a good lawyer.
Seriously. What is going on here? Once you get into law school, most people will never see either ever again

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Seriously. What is going on here? Once you get into law school, most people will never see either ever again
Some profs will introduce law and economics, but they won't go beyond what you could learn during the course of the class without an economics background. It's econ 101. At no time would you ever do stats unless you affirmatively sought out classes that involve stat (although I can't think of what classes would involve that).

The only classes I can think of that would invoke something like econometrics would be a L&E class or perhaps certain antitrust classes. Neither would ever be required.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:20 pm

You don't need them for law school, but they are intrinsically valuable courses.

firebreathingliberal

Bronze

Post by firebreathingliberal » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:13 pm

front load your easy courses so as you wrap up your UG you can take like 3 classes a semester and just drink heavily because you will need to be good and lubed up for law school.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:24 am

I'm pretty sure Statistics, especially intro to Stats, won't be important to being a good lawyer. Take it if you it's a requirement, but please don't take it assuming that it will help you become a better lawyer. You'll probably pick up a lot of the basics of Stats from a Microeconomics course anyways.

I loved taking econ courses (econ major) and feel that it did prepare me well by providing a bit of reasoning skills. But again, really don't think it's necessary for becoming a good lawyer. If you really want to try out a few econ classes then a Law and Economics course is pretty interesting and it will give you a good introduction to law and some popular cases.

Bronze

Post by 174 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:32 am

ram jam wrote:... or just skip it all and read >Austrian crap:

I lol'd a little.

OP, I took micro, macro, and econometrics concurrently. Ask your department what they recommend. I also took an upper division Law and Economics course that was just applied micro. I'd recommend it if your school offers something similar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:43 am

Is this some kind of abstruse joke?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:45 am

chango wrote:Is this some kind of abstruse joke?

I'm sure someone in this thead can calculate the probability of that.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:50 am

chango wrote:Is this some kind of abstruse joke?

Must be a regular TLSer wearing a mask. budum!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:12 am

174 wrote:

I lol'd a little.

OP, I took micro, macro, and econometrics concurrently. Ask your department what they recommend. I also took an upper division Law and Economics course that was just applied micro. I'd recommend it if your school offers something similar.
Why is anyone suggesting him/her to take econometrics? I have taken it and it will not help with LS at all and I believe it is only required for economics majors. Don't take the class; take stats only as it is required by all BS majors I believe.

Also don't knock the Austrian school. Hayek is brilliant and not taught in schools only because they don't have any graphs or math involved.

Taking a softball class would be more helpful for LS than an econometrics class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:53 pm

Unitas wrote:
174 wrote:

Taking a softball class would be more helpful for LS than an econometrics class.
+1 and a golf class would be even more helpful

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:02 pm

kittenmittons wrote:You don't need them for law school, but they are intrinsically valuable courses.
You aren't an educated person until you've taken both.

It would like like being a college graduate who has never taken rhetoric.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:04 pm

Unitas wrote:
174 wrote:

I lol'd a little.

Why is anyone suggesting him/her to take econometrics? I have taken it and it will not help with LS at all and I believe it is only required for economics majors. Don't take the class; take stats only as it is required by all BS majors I believe.

Also don't knock the Austrian school. Hayek is brilliant and not taught in schools only because they don't have any graphs or math involved.

Scientific method > everything ever

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:09 pm

Good classes to take. Irrelevant to being a lawyer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:09 pm

ram jam wrote:Take econometrics + principles of Micro, Macro + Intermediate Micro, Macro... or just skip it all and read these three books:

1. http://www.amazon.com/Road-Serfdom-Docu ... =1-1-fkmr1

2. http://www.amazon.com/Capitalism-Freedo ... 580&sr=8-1

3. http://www.amazon.com/Common-Sense-Econ ... 616&sr=1-1

p.s. you can, and should, take both micro and macro simultaneously. Good luck!

Edit: if you only need one of either micro or macro, choose micro. Macro can be a waste of time if not taught well, while micro theory is universally accepted.

Well done.

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Microeconometrics can suck a fat one. Macro is where it's at.

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:17 pm

LawandOrder wrote:Microeconometrics can suck a fat one. Macro is where it's at.
Micro was wayy better. For macro intro and intermediate I had horrible teachers. I refer to micro theory a lot more in my day to day life than the black box methods I learned in macro like cobbs-douglas. micro ftmfw

MConchis

New

Post by MConchis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:14 pm

kittenmittons wrote:You don't need them for law school, but they are intrinsically valuable courses.
Ah, irony.

Predominant theory of value in economics for the past century

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”