Third Time Taboo? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
stayway

Silver

Third Time Taboo?

Post by stayway » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:42 am

Hi all,

I registered for the June 2010 exam. I took it twice already (158, 159).

Do you think there is a taboo to taking the LSAT the third time and reapplying?

If I do well on this exam, should I jump ship from my current class of 2013 law school and re apply?

If I do reapply, how likely is it that the highest (third score) will taken as credible?

If this were to happen, I plan on writing an addendum for the LSAT....

imisscollege

Bronze

Re: Third Time Taboo?

Post by imisscollege » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:59 am

i got a 164 and a 165 and got WL/rejected at my targeted schools, waited a year and got a 168. now i am getting half rides at the same schools. trust me 3rd time is not taboo

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:03 am

nooyyllib wrote:Hi all,

I registered for the June 2010 exam. I took it twice already (158, 159).

Do you think there is a taboo to taking the LSAT the third time and reapplying?

If I do well on this exam, should I jump ship from my current class of 2013 law school and re apply?

If I do reapply, how likely is it that the highest (third score) will taken as credible?

If this were to happen, I plan on writing an addendum for the LSAT....
Hey buddy,

Cool.

Not, really only the top few schools seem to care.

Most likely yes, but we would really need to know the school.

That's pretty much unanswerable, but I see another 159 in your future.

Ok.

RickyRoe

Bronze

Post by RickyRoe » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:10 am

I took it 3 times. 151, 153, 162. Get a higher score and nobody will care much about how many times you took it. Just make sure you don't score the same or lower; that might look bad, but it is worth the risk.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:53 am

I think if you score a 175-180, then you worry about third time taboo. The schools that you would qualify for with a 175-180 first time score will look down on a third timer (if you happen to have the GPA to boot). If you score anything less than a 170, you can just light a mental bonfire and burn the memory of your 158/159 to ashes.

So keep taking until you give up or have to enroll in a school.

Add: you may need a good class or tutor or both. But compare to what you gain in potential scholarship and career prospects it is very much worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:00 am

the worst scenario i see myself get in is, not score higher and go to the school i send my deposit into.

it's just that i've been PTing 168+ before and ended up with those two scores.

so i guess its either I score well and reapply or not score well and go to the upper T2 I am sending my seat deposit into.

thanks for the advice guys

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:08 am

r6_philly wrote:I think if you score a 175-180, then you worry about third time taboo. The schools that you would qualify for with a 175-180 first time score will look down on a third timer (if you happen to have the GPA to boot). If you score anything less than a 170, you can just light a mental bonfire and burn the memory of your 158/159 to ashes.
TITCR

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:10 am

Threepeat wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I think if you score a 175-180, then you worry about third time taboo. The schools that you would qualify for with a 175-180 first time score will look down on a third timer (if you happen to have the GPA to boot). If you score anything less than a 170, you can just light a mental bonfire and burn the memory of your 158/159 to ashes.
TITCR
so basically HYS would look down on it. And yeah, my GPA is kinda garbage- 3.33.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:21 am

nooyyllib wrote:
Threepeat wrote:
TITCR
so basically HYS would look down on it. And yeah, my GPA is kinda garbage- 3.33.
If you get a 165+, I'd pepper the T50 and any other school with a fee waiver and pick the most money. If you get a 170+, pray for a T14 but aim for WUSTL or similar.

I really would spend some serious time and money on prep. It's worth it if you can improve. If not at least you tried. Even getting to 160+ will be a new game for you.

Personally I am debating on a retake because 3-4 points for me could be worth $100k at a T10 :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:26 am

r6_philly wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
Threepeat wrote:
TITCR
If you get a 165+, I'd pepper the T50 and any other school with a fee waiver and pick the most money. If you get a 170+, pray for a T14 but aim for WUSTL or similar.

I really would spend some serious time and money on prep. It's worth it if you can improve. If not at least you tried. Even getting to 160+ will be a new game for you.

Personally I am debating on a retake because 3-4 points for me could be worth $100k at a T10 :shock:
the school i sent my deposit to is villanova. they are giving me $$. and i wouldnt mind living/working in philly.

anyways, all i'm doing these days are taking PTs (full five sections timed). But the thing is i've done all the PTs out there before. Then again, i took a 5 months hiatus from LSAT.

I have scored 171-178 this time around but I'm not sure if thats completely representative.

I know the test (i think) and I'm going to take the june test without the paranoia I had before...maybe i'll score well. i dont know. im confused.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:31 am

Take it in June. If you score really well don't attend. If a couple of points, ask for more aid. If not, go to nova having tried. But if you get into T30 your salary outlook is much better and may be more mobile. I think you will have a tougher time breaking big law even in Philly as many more T14 grads (me included) will look to return to the market since NYC is weak.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:38 am

r6_philly wrote:Take it in June. If you score really well don't attend. If a couple of points, ask for more aid. If not, go to nova having tried. But if you get into T30 your salary outlook is much better and may be more mobile. I think you will have a tougher time breaking big law even in Philly as many more T14 grads (me included) will look to return to the market since NYC is weak.
yep. oh and I'm also on the PT waitlist for GW. I dont know why I'm even waitlisted but if that works out, i'm done - going to move to FT from PT (that IS easy to do right?)

tigrelis

New

Post by tigrelis » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:57 am

Last edited by tigrelis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

singingvontrapp

New

Post by singingvontrapp » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Taking LSAT for the third time is better than applying with two sucky scores.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:09 pm

tigrelis wrote:You were PTing 168+ before getting your 158 and 159?
And now you are PTing 171-178...

I don't think it's just not being "completely representative" of what you would get on your LSAT, you either suffer from extreme test anxiety, or you're not being honest with yourself on your PT scores. That's cheating no one but yourself. Are you simulating test conditions? Are you testing at semi-noisy locations? Do you give yourself that extra minute each section, or count one wrong or something that you probably or should have gotten right as correct? These things add up.

With that said, I don't think it'll hurt to take it a third time, if you're happy going to your deposit school this year as the worst scenario. Same advice on the jumping ship if big improvement as has been mentioned above.
i'm going to blame the experimental RC section i had for the sept 09 exam. RC is my weakness. and i got completely distracted once i found out the first three sections had two RCs in it.

And the current range i'm PTing is not representative at all even though i'm not cheating myself at all since I already took the same PT before two times (despite the 5 months hiatus, some questions are still familiar).

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:53 pm

I have been taking some PTs lately and just wondering.....

i have applied to schools with 158 & 159 this cycle but under what score on june 10 should i re-apply?

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:39 pm

Hey guys, just a question.

SO, I did take the June 10 exam and thought "whatever" of it. Not sure what my score is going to be.

So far I have my second deposit into Villanova and will be happy graduating from there.

My question is, up to what score should I allow myself to re-apply the next cycle? Would having three LSAT scores work to my disadvantage? Would Villanova reject me or frown at me for reapplying after getting initially accepted?

I'm only thinking of reapplying if i get a 10 point increase 169/170 but what if I score around 165? Should I re-apply?

I'm just a little scared of the thought that I will be rejected from the schools I got accepted to this cycle if I apply again next cycle without any particular reason.

Inputs are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:52 pm

I just read through this thread for the first time and I think you made the right move in retaking. I had a similar pattern where I was pting in the mid 160s and got a 160 first time, then was pting in the 168-172 range and got a 169 the second time so best of luck to you. This is common.

As to your current question, It depends a bit on what you are doing this year. Villanova will still accept you and probably with more money, but the easiest thing to do is just wait a couple weeks for the score to come back and then you can decide knowing all info. Personally, I would probably reapply with anything 164+ as that plus a 3.3x will net you a lot of tier 1 schools.

It depends a bit on what you are doing this year because if you can work and save a bunch of money it will make it that much easier and you can be slightly less loan reliant next year and maybe have better work experience.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:55 pm

kaydish21 wrote:I just read through this thread for the first time and I think you made the right move in retaking. I had a similar pattern where I was pting in the mid 160s and got a 160 first time, then was pting in the 168-172 range and got a 169 the second time so best of luck to you. This is common.

As to your current question, It depends a bit on what you are doing this year. Villanova will still accept you and probably with more money, but the easiest thing to do is just wait a couple weeks for the score to come back and then you can decide knowing all info. Personally, I would probably reapply with anything 164+ as that plus a 3.3x will net you a lot of tier 1 schools.

It depends a bit on what you are doing this year because if you can work and save a bunch of money it will make it that much easier and you can be slightly less loan reliant next year and maybe have better work experience.
thanks for the reply,

i am definitely going to wait until my score comes out (probably this weekend). I did send my second deposit into villanova.

i'm just worried that the two scores 158 159 will end up being more "representative" to the adcoms than whatever the score is for the third one.

ixkofm

New

Post by ixkofm » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Didn't see that you already retook. I hope it works out for you!

AR75

New

Post by AR75 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:52 pm

Based on the thread title, I thought you had hit it with your sister twice already.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:03 am

AR75 wrote:Based on the thread title, I thought you had hit it with your sister twice already.
great.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”