Applying at the Wrong Places Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
merryo

New

Applying at the Wrong Places

Post by merryo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:00 am

Hey all, I was hoping to get some advice.

I wasn't confident at all in my numbers this past year (3.3/165) and I definitely didn't know what type of schools I would be able to get into. I was very scared that I wouldn't even get into my T2 schools. That being the case, I applied for a large amount of T2 schools (Penn State, Brooklyn, Temple, Loyola LA, UNM, and St. John's), one upper T1 school (Maryland) and went for the home run with 3 top 10 schools (Yale, Columbia, and NYU). I have gotten word back from every school except for the top 3, and every school has said yes so far.

Even though I don't have the greatest numbers, I have a very long list of "softs", and I am an under-represented minority (Hispanic).

My question is, with my stats, should I have gone for more middle T1 schools such as Texas, Notre Dame, Boston College, Fordham? Would I be able to get into these schools? If so, should I wait until next year and apply during the next cycle, perhaps even get my LSAT up? Or should I just enroll at a school like Maryland or Penn State?

eaters333

New

Re: Applying at the Wrong Places

Post by eaters333 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:02 am

ABsolutely

lawschoolpredictor.com

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:04 am

If you aren't puerto rican or mexican you are not an urm. You undershot and maybe reapply next year to higher ranked schools. There are hispanic non-urm that have made it into the T20 and up with your numbers.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:08 am

merryo wrote:Hey all, I was hoping to get some advice.

I wasn't confident at all in my numbers this past year (3.3/165) and I definitely didn't know what type of schools I would be able to get into. I was very scared that I wouldn't even get into my T2 schools. That being the case, I applied for a large amount of T2 schools (Penn State, Brooklyn, Temple, Loyola LA, UNM, and St. John's), one upper T1 school (Maryland) and went for the home run with 3 top 10 schools (Yale, Columbia, and NYU). I have gotten word back from every school except for the top 3, and every school has said yes so far.

Even though I don't have the greatest numbers, I have a very long list of "softs", and I am an under-represented minority (Hispanic).

My question is, with my stats, should I have gone for more middle T1 schools such as Texas, Notre Dame, Boston College, Fordham? Would I be able to get into these schools? If so, should I wait until next year and apply during the next cycle, perhaps even get my LSAT up? Or should I just enroll at a school like Maryland or Penn State?
Only if you are of Mexican or Puerto Rican descent. Any other country of origin won't do you any good. If your roots are in one of those two countries, you should apply (with a strong diversity statement) to every T20 or T25 school you'd seriously consider attending.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Would you be happy with a degree from Maryland or Penn State? I definitely think you have a shot at a lot of T30-50 schools, and even a few in T30 (IUB and Iowa come to mind). If you are really a URM (Puerto Rican or Mexican) then you would have a good shot at a lot of the T20-T30. If you really want NYU or Columbia (Yale is probably out of reach, I'm afraid), then I would take a year off and boost that LSAT a few points and you should be in good shape.

Good luck with your decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”