75 an hour for court appointed cases?!? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
chester_molester

New

75 an hour for court appointed cases?!?

Post by chester_molester » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:49 pm

are you kidding me? that means if an attorney gets ABSOLUTELY ZERO privately obtained clients, and works 40 hours a week, they will be making 150 plus K per year... minus 30 g's for a secretary, minus, say 12,000 a year to rent out a small office... and you still have six figures... deduct taxes, you're looking at a cool 70k a year... now, wouldn't this be a better option than busting your ass off for a school like harvard only to make 150k BEING SOMEONES PERSONAL LITTLE BITCH?! not being able to be your own boss?

explain...

UrbanAchievers

Bronze

Re: 75 an hour for court appointed cases?!?

Post by UrbanAchievers » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:54 pm

Get a life

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:55 pm

chester_molester wrote:are you kidding me? that means if an attorney gets ABSOLUTELY ZERO privately obtained clients, and works 40 hours a week, they will be making 150 plus K per year... minus 30 g's for a secretary, minus, say 12,000 a year to rent out a small office... and you still have six figures... deduct taxes, you're looking at a cool 70k a year... now, wouldn't this be a better option than busting your ass off for a school like harvard only to make 150k BEING SOMEONES PERSONAL LITTLE BITCH?! not being able to be your own boss?

explain...
If an attorney is able to bill 40 hours a week, then yes, u would gross roughly 150k a year. The problem is billing a consistent 40 hours for 52 weeks. you're not going to bill nearly that many hours straight out of ls.

chester_molester

New

Post by chester_molester » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:57 pm

jack... where i live there are approximately 400 new cases each day... and only 30 attorneys are registered to receive court appointed cases... the best part of all this is.. you get paid for being in court, AND u log in your own hours worked on each case... you don't think that if you get 10 new cases a day that would add up to 40 hours a week... i live in an area that is too small for a public defenders office, and too large for all the cases to be funneled away...

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:00 am

Enough please. You've made your point. It sounds great. Go for it. Really.

Good luck to you in law school and after.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chester_molester

New

Post by chester_molester » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:02 am

silence fool... i just want someone to be able to put up a good argument as to why this is not a good and easy way to make money by being your own boss? seriously... where i live there are 400 cases a day and approximately 85 percent are indigent, and thereby apply for court appointed attorneys....

i mean, there are offices for rent in downtown statesville, NC for 500-1000 dollars!

PLEASE, somebody try to debunk this theory... i WANT you to win this argument so I will rethink going to Cooley Law...

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:03 am

chester_molester wrote:jack... where i live there are approximately 400 new cases each day... and only 30 attorneys are registered to receive court appointed cases... the best part of all this is.. you get paid for being in court, AND u log in your own hours worked on each case... you don't think that if you get 10 new cases a day that would add up to 40 hours a week... i live in an area that is too small for a public defenders office, and too large for all the cases to be funneled away...
Well, then u should probably go talk to some of those 30 lawyers and see how they're doing. The biggest potential problem with your argument is not being able to bill that many hours. Just because u sit in your office for X amount of time doesnt mean youre getting paid the whole time. I dont care if a job pays $1,000/hr, if youre only billing 1 hour a month then youre still broke as a motherfucker.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:05 am

hahahahaha.

while your stuck at 70k... in like 10 years

someone else will be making 500k as partner not doing bitch work.

match that.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:06 am

I guarantee that you won't be paid for 40 hours even if you 'bill' it. Judges know the average turnaround on a case and won't allow you to collect much more than that.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:07 am

this is the same bozo that was lamenting the middle class and going on about his acceptance to cooley...don't feed

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”