TTT Scholars Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Oban

Silver

TTT Scholars

Post by Oban » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:25 pm

With the exception of Chemerinsky and Chirelstein, it seems that most of the authors of the most revered study aids, supplements and outlines all teach at TTT schools, or at least non Elite/T14 schools. I guess this fits into the stereotype that T14 professors don't care about rules most care about theory.

Renaixença

New

Re: TTT Scholars

Post by Renaixença » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:27 pm

Oban wrote:With the exception of Chemerinsky and Chirelstein, it seems that most of the authors of the most revered study aids, supplements and outlines all teach at TTT schools, or at least non Elite/T14 schools. I guess this fits into the stereotype that T14 professors don't care about rules most care about theory.
Chemerinsky teaches at a Turdy too.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:38 pm

There are simply many more professors at NON-t14 schools than there are at t14 schools. So if an equal proportion of both groups write study guides, you're gonna find many more study guides written by non-t14 profs.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:46 pm

I figured that these professors would be woed by T14 schools looking for the best professors. I'd love to take a class under the Douglas Whalys and Joseph Glannon's of the world.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Realize that writing a good hornbook does NOT = being a good professor.

One of the most published professors at my school (a guy who is huge in his particular area of law) has just been squeezed out because, by all reports, he SUCKS as a teacher.

I think most schools look for those with a balance of academic/publishing creds and teaching ability.

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:31 pm

reverendt wrote:Realize that writing a good hornbook does NOT = being a good professor.

One of the most published professors at my school (a guy who is huge in his particular area of law) has just been squeezed out because, by all reports, he SUCKS as a teacher.

I think most schools look for those with a balance of academic/publishing creds and teaching ability.
+1

I went to an open house/mock law class recently, taught by a foremost and published authority on certain areas of black letter law, and was disappointed (a little) in his teaching style. I actually prefer reading his books to listening to him lecture. I don't think that's a mark against him, he's just better at writing concisely than navigating through the labyrinth of the Socratic method, which is designed to teach by confusion. His forte is writng with such clarity, he would be a better teacher if he were allowed to just present the facts, the way he does in his books.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”