How important is your undergrad major (for IP, etc)? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
NightHooded

New

How important is your undergrad major (for IP, etc)?

Post by NightHooded » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:05 am

Hi All,

New to posting, but been lurking for a couple days. Great resources here!

I am a lib. arts guy. I am curious if this precludes me from doing corporate law, or IP law. I'm told especially with IP you need a techie background...

Yes, I am trying to figure out if I'm eligible to make some $$$$ if I choose. Supposedly those two areas pay some bucks.
Last edited by NightHooded on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Veyron

Gold

Re: How important is your undergrad major (for PI, etc)?

Post by Veyron » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:07 am

Corp you are ok for assuming good grades at a T-14. You could still do PI but will almost certainly never reach the top of the field. An uphill battle to be sure.

gregw8705

New

Post by gregw8705 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:30 am

Not to be jerk, but do you mean IP as in Intellectual Property? PI is a different area of law, Public Interest, that doesn't necessarily demand any kind of technical background.

Normally I wouldn't point out a botched acronym or spelling error, but in this case IP and PI both have a specific meaning and are nothing alike.

NightHooded

New

Post by NightHooded » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:12 pm

gregw8705 wrote:Not to be jerk, but do you mean IP as in Intellectual Property? PI is a different area of law, Public Interest, that doesn't necessarily demand any kind of technical background.

Normally I wouldn't point out a botched acronym or spelling error, but in this case IP and PI both have a specific meaning and are nothing alike.
Thanks. You're not a jerk - you caught my dyslexia! I did mean IP... :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”