Most BS, useless, waste of time undergrad classes you took Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
scionb4

Silver

Most BS, useless, waste of time undergrad classes you took

Post by scionb4 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:32 pm

Unfortunately, my college only offers a general theatre major that doesn't allow you to specialize. As such, and actor like myself was forced to take Basic Stagecraft and Scenery and Lighting, neither of which I have a single iota of interest in. Not only that, but we used outdated drafting tecniques that nobody uses in the real world to do our design assignments. So not only was I learning about an aspect of theatre I didn't give a shit about, I had to learn obselete and rediculously tedious tecniques which were replaced by computers decades ago. And I'm taking them my senior year. I call bullshit.

What were your guys's most horseshit classes?

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Re: Most BS, useless, waste of time undergrad classes you took

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:39 pm

I took an "intro to law enforcement" class. The class had about 50 people in it, 3 of them are now in the NFL and 1 in the NBA. The course was taught by a former police chief that was fired due to a high profile police brutality issue (under him, not his doing).

Now that I'm going to law school, I'm really glad I took that class.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:39 pm

scionb4 wrote:[strike]Unfortunately, my college only offers a general theatre major that doesn't allow you to specialize. As such, and actor like myself was forced to take Basic Stagecraft and Scenery and Lighting, neither of which I have a single iota of interest in. Not only that, but we used outdated drafting tecniques that nobody uses in the real world to do our design assignments. So not only was I learning about an aspect of theatre I didn't give a shit about, I had to learn obselete and rediculously tedious tecniques which were replaced by computers decades ago. And I'm taking them my senior year. I call bullshit.

What were your guys's most horseshit classes?[/strike] I am a great actor... can't believe I was forced into a group with a bunch of amateurs
fixed :twisted:

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:41 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
scionb4 wrote:[strike]Unfortunately, my college only offers a general theatre major that doesn't allow you to specialize. As such, and actor like myself was forced to take Basic Stagecraft and Scenery and Lighting, neither of which I have a single iota of interest in. Not only that, but we used outdated drafting tecniques that nobody uses in the real world to do our design assignments. So not only was I learning about an aspect of theatre I didn't give a shit about, I had to learn obselete and rediculously tedious tecniques which were replaced by computers decades ago. And I'm taking them my senior year. I call bullshit.

What were your guys's most horseshit classes?[/strike] I am a great actor... can't believe I was forced into a group with a bunch of amateurs
fixed :twisted:
Uh . . . ok :?:

thepunisher24

Bronze

Post by thepunisher24 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:44 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:I took an "intro to law enforcement" class. The class had about 50 people in it, 3 of them are now in the NFL and 1 in the NBA. The course was taught by a former police chief that was fired due to a high profile police brutality issue (under him, not his doing).

Now that I'm going to law school, I'm really glad I took that class.
Who are the NFL/NBA players?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:50 pm

I took a class called Race and Sports as one of my upper-division, non-major electives. We went over some African-American history, but we talked about sports 80% of the time in class. Like the earlier poster, my class was filled with many NFL players, including Vince Young, Bo Scaife, Marcus Tubbs, Roy Williams, Cedric Griffin, Rod Wright, Selvin Young, and about 10 other players on the football team. Selvin Young was one of the smartest students in the class, FWIW. I got the professor to write one of my LOR's for law school, so I guess it wasn't a total waste of time.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:51 pm

My school had an artsy GER, so I had to take a sculpture class. Protests such as "I am cripplingly left-brained" and "the world will be worse as a result of my artwork" fell on deaf ears. I was probably the only person ever to get an A- in that class. :(

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Larry Fitzgerald, Andy Lee, Scott McKillop and Aaron Gray (who I think is still playing for the bulls, but I'm not 100%)

I went to Pitt.

Edit: There were many other athletes in the class, many of which were dedicated and clearly very bright

thepunisher24

Bronze

Post by thepunisher24 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:32 am

Scurredsitless1 wrote:Larry Fitzgerald, Andy Lee, Scott McKillop and Aaron Gray (who I think is still playing for the bulls, but I'm not 100%)

I went to Pitt.

Edit: There were many other athletes in the class, many of which were dedicated and clearly very bright
Ah, gotcha. Larry Fitz seems like a smart guy when you see him on TV. Always interesting to see these guys out of their element.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:45 am

Magazine writing. I dare you to beat that.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:40 am

Renzo wrote:Magazine writing. I dare you to beat that.
Information and News

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:43 am

I am currently in an entry level stats class that is only for journalism majors, because the school assumes that even the normal ridiculously easy entry level stats class is too hard for journalism majors because we supposedly suck at math.

My teacher spent basically an entire hour and a half class period teaching us how to calculate percentages. I wanted to stab myself in the eye.

Edit: and just to throw in how bitter I am about this class, I WANTED to take the normal stats class because the easy one was the same time as an honors class that I really wanted to take. But the administration would not let me because that was not the class I needed to graduate. I am still kinda mad that instead of taking an interesting class where I maybe would have learned something, I am stuck being taught what a bar graph is (last week the entire class period was spent teaching what the different types of graphs are, no joke this is a class a 6th grader could pass.)
Last edited by Rowinguy2009 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

txelle

New

Post by txelle » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:44 am

the actual title was "doing things with poems." and that was an honors class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:44 am

"The Challenges of Leisure"

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:44 am

crazycanuck wrote:
Information and News
Forestry in the Modern World.

UF Gators

Bronze

Post by UF Gators » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:46 am

I took Intro to Dinosaurs and Intro to Leisure. I cant believe those classes cost money.

erniesto

Bronze

Post by erniesto » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:48 am

Nature Photography and also Statistics

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:49 am

twert wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
Information and News
Mask-making.

goblue1646

New

Post by goblue1646 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:53 am

akili wrote:
twert wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
Information and News
Mask-making.
Introduction to Walking.

We took walks and read fiction/non-fiction stories on walking.

eaters333

New

Post by eaters333 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:56 am

Boodsport (actually awesome, but not as a college course), and anything in anthro

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:57 am

We also have a major called "Peace Studies"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:58 am

My friend is a Recreation Major. They do a lot of rock climbing, surfing, etc.

Bulls

New

Post by Bulls » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:06 am

I'm in sea kayaking right now. Pretty strenuous.

1000bmr

New

Post by 1000bmr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:07 am

most useless class i took was sociology. teacher basically just railed on corporations for 45 minutes, 3 days a week. worst part is i got a B. :?
Thirteen wrote:I took a class called Race and Sports as one of my upper-division, non-major electives. We went over some African-American history, but we talked about sports 80% of the time in class. Like the earlier poster, my class was filled with many NFL players, including Vince Young, Bo Scaife, Marcus Tubbs, Roy Williams, Cedric Griffin, Rod Wright, Selvin Young, and about 10 other players on the football team. Selvin Young was one of the smartest students in the class, FWIW. I got the professor to write one of my LOR's for law school, so I guess it wasn't a total waste of time.
haha i took an accounting class with limas sweed and he basically just sat in the middle of about 20 girls who all did his homework for him while he chilled out. +1 cool point. he also wore black wife beaters to class routinely. -5 cool points.

he asked to borrow my pen one time, so we're pretty much bffs.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:13 am

"Math" and "Foreign Language" ring a bell when thinking of "horseshit classes I hated"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”