What can I realistically expect with life in law school. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Law School lifestyle for Average Student in T2

You better live nearby buddy, because you will dream your studies
2%
You will spend several hrs extracurricularly, with few hrs to spare
11%
You will be able to still workout, have a gf, if you time manage
67%
You will be able to party like crazy like Undergrad!
20%

Total votes: 45

Bmg08d

New

What can I realistically expect with life in law school.

Post by Bmg08d » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:41 am

With every hurdle one can take in life, theres always a dramatic story that goes with it. When you hear about boot camp, its the biggest hardest ordeal ever. Same is with the IB program, or even college for that matter. Big deals are made everyday, over the smallest things, and things that are worth making a big deal over.

Currently I am a UG student at FSU studying Finance. I did not study as suggested to for the LSAT, but still scored well enough my 1st time with consideration of my 3.3 GPA. In college, theres basically 3 types of people in regards to the quantitative time they study. Some dont study at all. Some are smart with their time. They understand that cramming, stressing, and staying up the entire night before the exam will do nothing but hurt their grades more. Then theres the poor souls who got into FSU (a great public school, requiring 4.0+ GPA for freshman entry) who study day and night. They live at the library and cram and stress for 1000 level classes.

When it comes to any form of grad school, I do not expect any form of low impact on my life. But, I really want to be prepared for what it will be like.
Hypothetical situation:
Student at a t2 law school in florida.
Average grades with his classmates.

(obviously i'm not going to shoot for just average...)

Would I have time to go the gym for an hour 3 times a week?
Would I really eat sleep and dream law school?
I saw a thread on here, that basically said dating was a joke...Could I go to the movies?
Could I escape and party 1 or 2 nights per week.
How much time outside of class, does a typical student spend in the library?

To me, being able to have fun is a release and an escape from the daily grind. recreation= to recreate oneself

Again, I really would appreciate any input here. I need to know what I'm looking at. I need to know important a good law library facility may or may not be. I may need to live closer to the campus than I might have otherwise desired.

Thanks,
Bryan

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: What can I realistically expect with life in law school.

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:50 am

Bmg08d wrote:With every hurdle one can take in life, theres always a dramatic story that goes with it. When you hear about boot camp, its the biggest hardest ordeal ever. Same is with the IB program, or even college for that matter. Big deals are made everyday, over the smallest things, and things that are worth making a big deal over.

Currently I am a UG student at FSU studying Finance. I did not study as suggested to for the LSAT, but still scored well enough my 1st time with consideration of my 3.3 GPA. In college, theres basically 3 types of people in regards to the quantitative time they study. Some dont study at all. Some are smart with their time. They understand that cramming, stressing, and staying up the entire night before the exam will do nothing but hurt their grades more. Then theres the poor souls who got into FSU (a great public school, requiring 4.0+ GPA for freshman entry) who study day and night. They live at the library and cram and stress for 1000 level classes.

When it comes to any form of grad school, I do not expect any form of low impact on my life. But, I really want to be prepared for what it will be like.
Hypothetical situation:

I saw a thread on here, that basically said dating was a joke...Could I go to the movies?

To me, being able to have fun is a release and an escape from the daily grind. recreation= to recreate oneself

Again, I really would appreciate any input here. I need to know what I'm looking at. I need to know important a good law library facility may or may not be. I may need to live closer to the campus than I might have otherwise desired.

Thanks,
Bryan
What do you want from law school?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:51 am

Bmg08d wrote:With every hurdle one can take in life, theres always a dramatic story that goes with it. When you hear about boot camp, its the biggest hardest ordeal ever. Same is with the IB program, or even college for that matter. Big deals are made everyday, over the smallest things, and things that are worth making a big deal over.

Hypothetical situation:

Thanks,
Bryan
lolwut? whats the point of your intro?

to answer your question, though, most of the things you put on your list are quite doable during law school

i wont comment on the rest lol

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:21 am

I think the idea of the intro was that people make a big deal things that aren't actually a big deal, so the question was (I think): "is law school really a big thing (like boot camp) or is it like college (where people make a big deal out of something easy)?

At least I think that's what OP meant. As a 0L I can't really comment other than what I know from hearsay...

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:08 am

Well, it's clear OP didn't put the time into his first-year writing classes. Anyhow, law school is hard. To do well, you will need to devote a lot of time to it. However, there's good news. You can skate through three years of law school without a ton of work, and you'll still get a JD. The curve is such that a C might as well be an F to anyone who matters, so it's pretty rare for anyone to fail a law exam. Finding a job may not be difficult, but C's do, in fact, get JD's.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 am

If there was one thing I wish I had more of in law school, it would be quantitative time.

One more thing: FLAME!!!

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:36 am

I think law school is really only a lot of work for those who want to be at the top of their class. For those (like me) who are okay with being relatively average, law school can truly be considered 'lawl school'

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:39 am

what a retard. FSU isn't that competitive. requring a nearly "4.0" of admission.

Bryan, wtf do you want to go to law school...espc a t2 law school and end up in the middle of the pack?

This is on par with the FOB post.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:40 am

heyguys wrote:I think law school is really only a lot of work for those who want to be at the top of their class. For those (like me) who are okay with being relatively average, law school can truly be considered 'lawl school'
Are u a 0L. I know people working their asses off for below median.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:41 am

rayiner wrote:
heyguys wrote:I think law school is really only a lot of work for those who want to be at the top of their class. For those (like me) who are okay with being relatively average, law school can truly be considered 'lawl school'
No grades at Yale. Get out heyguys!!!

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:03 am

JazzOne wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Yes, because I go to YLS, I have no idea what learning the law is like, nor do I have any friends who are at other law schools with whom I discuss this sort of thing. :?

I'm sure there are some people who work very hard to get just below median. What I'm saying is that working really hard in law school is not necessary if you're okay with median. I think that it is necessary if you're going to aspire to the top of the class. Plenty of people coast through law school, get median, and get whatever job. Like an earlier poster said, for those who are shooting for the top of the class, the curve can be frustrating because it raises the standard for getting an A or whatever; however, for those just wanting to get through law school, they can rely on the curve to work just hard enough to be in that 'relatively average' category, particularly if that person is on average more clever than his/her classmates.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:08 am

Bmg08d wrote:FSU (a great public school, requiring 4.0+ GPA for freshman entry)
I call bullshit on this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news ... id=4737281

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:40 am

heyguys wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Yes, because I go to YLS, I have no idea what learning the law is like, nor do I have any friends who are at other law schools with whom I discuss this sort of thing. :?

I'm sure there are some people who work very hard to get just below median. What I'm saying is that working really hard in law school is not necessary if you're okay with median. I think that it is necessary if you're going to aspire to the top of the class. Plenty of people coast through law school, get median, and get whatever job. Like an earlier poster said, for those who are shooting for the top of the class, the curve can be frustrating because it raises the standard for getting an A or whatever; however, for those just wanting to get through law school, they can rely on the curve to work just hard enough to be in that 'relatively average' category, particularly if that person is on average more clever than his/her classmates.
I was mostly joking. You're certainly welcome to post about anything you like, but it's a little misleading for you to say you personally are ok with being average when you attend Yale, which is far from average in the first place, and has no class average to speak of.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

1armedscissor

New

Post by 1armedscissor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:46 am

ughOSU wrote:

+1

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:55 am

ughOSU wrote:

I go to FSU, I am a finance major as well, and I give you a +1

Bmg08d

New

Post by Bmg08d » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:11 am

Kohinoor wrote: What do you want from law school?
I want a solid legal education. I want to be prepared for my state's bar exam. I want to have a successful practice of my own one day or be a succesful partner.
TipTravHoot wrote:Well, it's clear OP didn't put the time into his first-year writing classes. Anyhow, law school is hard. To do well, you will need to devote a lot of time to it. However, there's good news. You can skate through three years of law school without a ton of work, and you'll still get a JD. The curve is such that a C might as well be an F to anyone who matters, so it's pretty rare for anyone to fail a law exam. Finding a job may not be difficult, but C's do, in fact, get JD's.
The time stamp on my post was 3:41AM. Thanks for your help. lol
avacado111 wrote:what a retard. FSU isn't that competitive. requring a nearly "4.0" of admission.

Bryan, wtf do you want to go to law school...espc a t2 law school and end up in the middle of the pack?

This is on par with the FOB post.
Regarding the 4.0 thing, why in the world would I be talking about athletes? I am talking about the average freshman. lol.

Regarding the t2 law school and ending up in the middle of the pack, I want to know what its like for the average. Not the student who reads every paragraph of every book, the ones on the law reviews, nor the ones who skate by. I was asking for an average depiction of top-law-schools.com. This does not mean this is my goal nor what I want.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:43 am

Bmg08d wrote:Regarding the 4.0 thing, why in the world would I be talking about athletes? I am talking about the average freshman. lol.
Then it's not a "requirement".... It's offensive to me that any school would "require" a 4.0 because all high schools do their shit differnetly. At one of the high school I went to almost everyone had 4.5 if you weren't a dumbass... at the other, it was very difficult to get a 4.0 (I didn't have one).

"requiring" a 4.0 is just dumb.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:38 pm

Bmg08d wrote:Regarding the 4.0 thing, why in the world would I be talking about athletes? I am talking about the average freshman. lol.
I love it. They have separate admissions criteria for "average" applicant. I presume that if you're below average, you can get in with whatever crappy grades you've got! This is a strange dynamic indeed since virtually no "average" applicants had a 4.0 from high school. You actually must be below average to attend FSU. LD applicants receive a diversity boost.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”