college student needs advice (please) Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ernied1990

New

college student needs advice (please)

Post by ernied1990 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:58 pm

hello everybody
im a current college student working on my AA degree planning on completing my bachelors at a uni after im done with my AA.
i always had the dream of attending a top law school like harvard, yale etc.
i have a few Qs and i really appreciate if you guys can answer them.

1. When i transfer to a uni from my college after getting my AA to get my bachelors, my GPA will be reset and ill have a new GPA for the 2 years at the uni where ill be completing my bachelors. so does the law school look at my college GPA or my Uni GPA when admitting ?

2. What kind of social work like volunteering should i do ? and how much ?

3. what exactly is a reccomendation letter and from what kind of people should i get them from ?

4. Any suggestions for a student who is trying to get in to a top law school ?

Thanks,

I really appreciate all your responses

jks289

Silver

Re: college student needs advice (please)

Post by jks289 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:05 pm

1. Every grade before earning your BA counts to LSAC GPA, including community college work.

2. Whatever is sincere and interesting to you. If you find a meaningful way to give your time, great! But doing things for your resume isn't going to help much.

3. A LOR is a letter from an academic or professional reference; they talk about their knowledge and evaluation of your intelligence, maturity, and ability. Get them from professors with whom you have a close relationship. (If you can't think of anyone, start going to office hours)

4. Get really good grades and study your ass off for the LSAT. Enjoy your life. Goals are great, but don't miss out on the good stuff because you only think about going to HYS morning to night.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:46 pm

ernied1990 wrote:hello everybody
im a current college student working on my AA degree planning on completing my bachelors at a uni after im done with my AA.
i always had the dream of attending a top law school like harvard, yale etc.
i have a few Qs and i really appreciate if you guys can answer them.

1. When i transfer to a uni from my college after getting my AA to get my bachelors, my GPA will be reset and ill have a new GPA for the 2 years at the uni where ill be completing my bachelors. so does the law school look at my college GPA or my Uni GPA when admitting ?

2. What kind of social work like volunteering should i do ? and how much ?

3. what exactly is a reccomendation letter and from what kind of people should i get them from ?

4. Any suggestions for a student who is trying to get in to a top law school ?

Thanks,

I really appreciate all your responses
academics truly dominate the admissions process. your "LSAC GPA" will be computed from both your college AND your uni grades, up until you graduate. do well in class, that is basically your #1 priority right now. If you are aiming for HYS you really need at least an A- average (3.7), but to be honest that will only cut it if your LSAT is truly out of the park. You should really aim for 3.9 or so to be safe.

the other thing you can do is start to prepare for the LSAT. not necessarily taking practice tests, but you should start doing crossword puzzles each day and reading dense material each day if you can. then when you start prepping for the LSAT (probably junior year) you will be in a good position to do so.

do not worry too much about LOR/extra curricular/etc. especially if it will take away from your GPA. .1 higher on GPA will usually beat out almost any so-called "soft factor".

MOST of your app comes down to LSAC GPA and LSAT. Do what you can to maximize those numbers.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:48 pm

as jks said, in junior year, you should identify a couple classes where you think you will or are excelling. be sure to cultivate a relationship with those professors (you will need 2). go to office hours, etc and be sure you are on a good social basis with them. then fall of senior year, you can approach them for LOR. as long as they are decent they will not play a factor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”