An interesting question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
GoBroncos22!

Bronze

An interesting question

Post by GoBroncos22! » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:27 pm

This is one of those, "one of my friends questions".....And in all honesty it is about a friend of mine, I am not trying to hide anything. Anyways, he is considering taking the LSAT and going to to law school if possible but is slightly hesitant due to some recent "issues" with the law. Haha, the irony is great. All in all, he has received a couple underage drinking tickets, a DUI, misdemeanor breaking and entering and misdemeanor malicious injury to property. No Felonies. The last of these happened to him about a year ago, and it would be about another year before he would be applying. I honestly don't know how these would effect someone in the process. Can someone shed some light upon this? I want to give him an honest answer, hes a wonderful kid and very very intelligent, just a dumbass...you know what I mean. Thanks guys.

thelawguy777

New

Re: An interesting question

Post by thelawguy777 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:06 pm

Every law school is going to ask some questions about criminal history. Depending on the law school they may want details. Some schools ask for an undergrad behavior statement from the dean of students. Some schools want to know only about convictions, some schools ask for all charges, etc, etc...

Personally I think any arrest is going to look extremely bad, especially if it's in the past five years...

Maybe schools are more forgiving, but I would say that a DUI, B&E, etc... are far from a stellar criminal record...

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:48 pm

He needs to find out from the bar of the state he wants to practice in if that DUI is ok. DUI=very bad.

EDIT: This is not an interesting question. If you go to the Law School Admissions Forum there are dozens more just like it.

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

LIAR! :evil:

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:54 am

eandy wrote:He needs to find out from the bar of the state he wants to practice in if that DUI is ok. DUI=very bad.

EDIT: This is not an interesting question. If you go to the Law School Admissions Forum there are dozens more just like it.
Example of an interesting question:

My mom just stumbled into my meth lab, and I had to choke her to death. Would I be better off chopping her up and throwing her in the ocean or burying her in the woods? Also, should I disclose?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:01 am

eandy wrote:He needs to find out from the bar of the state he wants to practice in if that DUI is ok. DUI=very bad.

Stop takling. You're not a lawyer and thus entirely unqualified to offer a real evaluation on the issue.

Op:

Tell your friend to contact an attorney that handles attornet licensing/ethics issues in the jurisdiction he intends to practice. The DUI is likely not a problem. The breaking and entering is more troubling, depending on the circumstances and the actual charge. I'm going to assume, this is something along the lines of him and his friends breaking into a building and getting drunk or something else along those lines and not him breaking into a building to steal something? If my guess is right, he's probably ok; but again, have him talk to a lawyer in the jurisdiction first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”