How competitive will you be? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
scionb4

Silver

How competitive will you be?

Post by scionb4 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Are you going to be the one who hides the essential library books from your classmates so you'll get the top spot? :evil: Will you simply outwork the competition, constantly studying at all hours of the night? :shock: Will you be the typical hardworking student who cares about grades, but wants to enjoy his or herself too during law school? :roll: Will you be the kid who never goes to class, barely scrapes by, and falls into the minority when 90% of your classmates are employed 9 months after graduation? Will you wig out in law school worrying about your grades, forcing yourself into a depression? :cry: Or are you just there to extend :wink: your undergrad years and impress the impressionable undergrads with your status as a law school student? 8) What kind of student will you be?

jayn3

Silver

Re: How competitive will you be?

Post by jayn3 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:06 pm

i will be the student who draws smiley faces in the margins of every library book i use.

vandalvideo

Bronze

Post by vandalvideo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:03 pm

War of all against all baby. Let the greatest power prevail.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Bronze

Post by 4910 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:32 pm

in all seriousness, i think i will work hard but not to the point that i am up all night, i will try to get A's in every class but i wont resort to psychotic methods like hiding books, i think i have enough faith in my own abilities to relax a bit and try to learn as much as i can

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:47 pm

jayn3 wrote:i will be the student who draws smiley faces in the margins of every library book i use.
kertwang!

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:40 pm

I'm by nature too competitive, which is another way of saying that I'm insecure. I get pissed when I lose, and I fully acknowledge that is a terrible way to be. So, I will try my best, I'll make friends, and I'll congratulate the kids who did better than me while secretly wishing that I had done better than them. That's fairly standard, right?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:45 pm

Madness? THIS IS SPARTA

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:48 pm

8 hrs a day 5 days a week (including class time). That is what I am limiting it to. Of course, will put in OT running up to exams, but thats it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:57 pm

I plan on reading through the E&E's this summer, then again during the school year with questions + hornbooks + outlining what's important in class, then starting practice exams over thanksgiving break and gunning for all A's. Yes I do want law review, no I am not kidding.

jmaan

Bronze

Post by jmaan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:59 pm

adh07d wrote:I plan on reading through the E&E's this summer, then again during the school year with questions + hornbooks + outlining what's important in class, then starting practice exams over thanksgiving break and gunning for all A's. Yes I do want law review, no I am not kidding.
thats what she said

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:07 pm

nealric wrote:Image
Are you saying that you will be as competitive as Rambo is as a hero, or as competitive as Sylvester Stallone is as an actor? Because Old Sly might just when Worst Actor of the Decade at the Razzies this year, he was nominated for it.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:01 pm

vandalvideo wrote:War of all against all baby. Let the greatest power prevail.
--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:02 pm

I'll definitely hide books/burn them after I've read them.

washed out

New

Post by washed out » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:11 pm

I will slaughter.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:24 pm

Are you saying that you will be as competitive as Rambo is as a hero, or as competitive as Sylvester Stallone is as an actor?
Well, to be honest I'm a 2nd semester 3L in all uncurved classes. My gunning days are over. Kind of a neat metaphor with Rambo :lol:

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:48 pm

Wear a cup around me.

Just saying.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:51 pm

Which law schools are the most competitive? I heard that students at a law school break other student's computers. Which law schools have the most inaccessible professors?

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:59 pm

nealric wrote:Image
Did Stallone actually look this jacked? That is just beautiful, for lack of a better word.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:25 am

hiromoto45 wrote:Which law schools are the most competitive? I heard that students at a law school break other student's computers. Which law schools have the most inaccessible professors?
Baylor is the most competitive. People are vicious to each other there. Brigham Young is also very competitive - people are civil to each other, they don't hide books or anything, but they definitely try to outwork each other.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:29 am

I'm going to put in enough hours to understand the material, do a ton of practice tests (as many as I can find) and let my natural aptitude for reasoning carry the rest.

From what I hear about law school tests you really get graded on how you apply the law, not how much you know.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

saltoftheearth

Bronze

Post by saltoftheearth » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:23 am

Desert Fox wrote:I'm going to put in enough hours to understand the material, do a ton of practice tests (as many as I can find) and let my natural aptitude for reasoning carry the rest.

From what I hear about law school tests you really get graded on how you apply the law, not how much you know.
natural aptitude <3

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:41 am

scionb4 wrote:Are you going to be the one who hides the essential library books from your classmates so you'll get the top spot? :evil: Will you simply outwork the competition, constantly studying at all hours of the night? :shock: Will you be the typical hardworking student who cares about grades, but wants to enjoy his or herself too during law school? :roll: Will you be the kid who never goes to class, barely scrapes by, and falls into the minority when 90% of your classmates are employed 9 months after graduation? Will you wig out in law school worrying about your grades, forcing yourself into a depression? :cry: Or are you just there to extend :wink: your undergrad years and impress the impressionable undergrads with your status as a law school student? 8) What kind of student will you be?
That's a lot of smileys.....

This is something I'm genuinely worried about. I can be competitive, especially in a work environment, but in law school I'd much rather be friends / friendly with anyone and not have to worry about "I shouldn't show him/her my notes since we're competing against each other" or "he/she clearly doesn't grasp that issue correctly but I'm not going to tell him so I'll have one less person to worry about ranking ahead of me". My undergrad was very friendly and cooperative - even though we were all graded on a strict curve we didn't worry about hiding books from each other or whatnot, and there was definitely a feeling of being in this all together & helping each other out. However, since law school is a professional school, and I think in the work environment there is a certain degree of having to *show* to your boss that you're working hard, keeping certain information to yourself so that you're more competitive, etc., I'm just worried that kind of atmosphere will exist in law school as well.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:45 am

If you are smarter than most of your classmates, you don't need to work that hard to do well. No amount of gunning will triumph over the raw intellect (of a reasonably well-prepared person).

As far as competition between people who are smarter than most of their classmates, doing really well (top 1-3%) vs. just doing well (top 10%) seems to depend entirely on luck, not gunning. Again, this is assuming both are reasonably well-prepared.

Reasonably well prepared = went to class, read the casebook, took good notes (no need for E&E's, other hornbooks, own outlines).

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:46 am

My goal is to be that dude from the tatooed lawyer thread a while back. When grades come in, I want everyone to be like....wait, really, that guy? I am the ultimate closet nerd.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”