. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:48 pm

Last edited by Knock on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Re: Straight to Law School from UG?

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:51 pm

I think about 40% go straight in. But most go within a couple years.

Waiting may help slightly because you have time to work on softs.

At Northwestern you better have work experience, or have CCN numbers or you aren't getting in. At most schools though its not a factor.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:35 pm

PROS:
--keep school "going". some people start working and just kind of fall into it, and never return to school

--good financially. it is better to get it out of the way to have more years at a high income

--start the partnership track when you are young. you attend when you are 22, graduate at 25...you have a longer time to worry about a career rather than a family

--no need to work in a "grunt" level job.

CONS:

--going full force into one career without exploring or knowing anything else. it is better to at least try another career before proceeding immediately to law school and the lawyer track if you have ANY doubt whatsoever.

--academic tiredness. a couple years of working can help you reset your mind and get ready to take school on again.

--softs. those out of u-grad typically have better softs, through work experience, volunteering, foreign travel, etc. this can be particularly true for schools with a low percentage of students straight from undergraduate.

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:38 pm

englawyer wrote:PROS:
--keep school "going". some people start working and just kind of fall into it, and never return to school

--good financially. it is better to get it out of the way to have more years at a high income

--start the partnership track when you are young. you attend when you are 22, graduate at 25...you have a longer time to worry about a career rather than a family

--no need to work in a "grunt" level job.

CONS:

--going full force into one career without exploring or knowing anything else. it is better to at least try another career before proceeding immediately to law school and the lawyer track if you have ANY doubt whatsoever.

--academic tiredness. a couple years of working can help you reset your mind and get ready to take school on again.

--softs. those out of u-grad typically have better softs, through work experience, volunteering, foreign travel, etc. this can be particularly true for schools with a low percentage of students straight from undergraduate.
+1 The prospect of attending law school alongside 22 year olds whose UG theses still have their ink drying will be very interesting...

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:28 pm

I graduated last May and decided to take a year off. I worked full time to get through undergrad and it was def taking a toll on me towards the end. I'm really glad I took a year off to pay off some debts and finally have some free time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”