Social Sites Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gustrock

Bronze

Social Sites

Post by gustrock » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:40 pm

Do you think ad com's snoop around?
Last edited by gustrock on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolshed

Bronze

Re: Facebook

Post by toolshed » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:41 pm

Set everything to private except for your friends. I don't know why people don't do this anyway.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:41 pm

just privative your FB, and you'll be fine. Make sure the only people who can see your profile are your friends.

gustrock

Bronze

Post by gustrock » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:42 pm

exactly. i dont think people can even search my name unless they are a friend of a friend.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:11 pm

It would take something seriously messed up for an adcom to reject you based on something on your facebook. Just don't have anything illegal up (coke, pot, dead bodies).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

S de Garmeaux

Bronze

Post by S de Garmeaux » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:12 pm

i set almost everything on private. Im the only one who can see my photos.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:12 pm

beach_terror wrote:It would take something seriously messed up for an adcom to reject you based on something on your facebook. Just don't have anything illegal up (coke, pot, dead bodies).
um...welcome to 2010? People are being fired from jobs and not getting them in the first place because of facebook. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch to see others not getting into schools because of the same.

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:14 pm

sdegarmo wrote:i set almost everything on private. Im the only one who can see my photos.
Same.

S de Garmeaux

Bronze

Post by S de Garmeaux » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Rawlsian wrote:
sdegarmo wrote:i set almost everything on private. Im the only one who can see my photos.
Same.
but this is also because my parents and their friends have facebooks now too. i used to be into freshman - junior year of UG, now i just use it primarily to keep up with people that moved away after UG or HS. gChat is slowly replacing that though too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:23 pm

biv0ns wrote:
beach_terror wrote:It would take something seriously messed up for an adcom to reject you based on something on your facebook. Just don't have anything illegal up (coke, pot, dead bodies).
um...welcome to 2010? People are being fired from jobs and not getting them in the first place because of facebook. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch to see others not getting into schools because of the same.
I've talked with a lot of employers in my area (Philadelphia), and it was pretty much consensus that as long as you don't have evidence of doing something illegal, they're not going to care. Drinking in college is evidence of being normal, if anything. Job fairs at my school confirmed this. I'd like to see some of the pages of the people that got denied though, if you don't have common sense as to what is reasonable and what is excessive, then they probably deserved getting the axe anyway.
Last edited by beach_terror on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 pm

toolshed wrote:[strike]Set everything to private except for your friends[/strike]Stop posting pictures of yourself blackout drunk with your cock out. I don't know why people don't do this anyway.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:27 pm

Renzo wrote:
toolshed wrote:[strike]Set everything to private except for your friends[/strike]Stop posting pictures of yourself blackout drunk with your cock out. I don't know why people don't do this anyway.
That would be excessive. Having pictures with beer in your hand is what I'm referring to as fine. Necking a bottle of 10$ vodka, is not.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:28 pm

beach_terror wrote:
biv0ns wrote:
I've talked with a lot of employers in my area (Philadelphia), and it was pretty much consensus that as long as you don't have evidence of doing something illegal, they're not going to care. Drinking in college is evidence of being normal, if anything. Job fairs at my school confirmed this. I'd like to see some of the pages of the people that got denied though, if you don't have common sense as to what is reasonable and what is excessive, then they probably deserved getting the axe anyway.
Well as long as you don't shoot a cop or two I think they don't look down on you there

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:34 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Renzo wrote:
That would be excessive. Having pictures with beer in your hand is what I'm referring to as fine. Necking a bottle of 10$ vodka, is not.
In hiring situations people make all kinds of assumptions about you, from the way dress, the way you stand, the way you introduce yourself, etc. Employers will make the same kinds of assumptions about the persona you put fourth on the web. I'm not saying holding a beer is always going to hurt, but employers are not going to give you the benefit of the doubt, so it's important to look at your own persona and think "does this make me look like the kind of responsible person I'd want to hire, or does this make me look like a hard-partying frat boy?" Corona in hand hugging your SO on the beach in front of the sunset in vacation paradise wouldn't trouble me; pic of me hugging strangers at a keg party needs to come down.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:36 pm

biv0ns wrote:
Well as long as you don't shoot a cop or two I think they don't look down on you there
QFT

Philly still isn't as bad as most people think though. Although you do have to watch out for the occasional Temple 3L.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:39 pm

How are potential employers getting access to your facebook anyway?

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:40 pm

beach_terror wrote: QFT

Philly still isn't as bad as most people think though. Although you do have to watch out for the occasional Temple 3L.
Is your tar from COB?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:How are potential employers getting access to your facebook anyway?
If you're set to private, they won't. But not a week ago I had a job interview where the interviewer asked me "are we going to find anything you'd need to explain when we google you?"

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:41 pm

sdegarmo wrote:
Rawlsian wrote:
Same.
but this is also because my parents and their friends have facebooks now too. i used to be into freshman - junior year of UG, now i just use it primarily to keep up with people that moved away after UG or HS. gChat is slowly replacing that though too.
Wait? I'm confused. What does you being into freshman have to do with anything?

EDIT: Immediately upon posting this I figured out what you meant.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:42 pm

Renzo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:How are potential employers getting access to your facebook anyway?
If you're set to private, they won't. But not a week ago I had a job interview where the interviewer asked me "are we going to find anything you'd need to explain when we google you?"
The disadvantages of being 'the other' Shane Diesel, huh?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:44 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Renzo wrote:
The disadvantages of being 'the other' Shane Diesel, huh?
:lol: My alter ego is a power-hungry mayor of a small town in my home state, so it can actually only help!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:47 pm

Renzo wrote:

I'm not sure if its good or bad that you can't find shit by googling my name. Best I can find is a senior design project if you google the department I was in during undergrad.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Renzo wrote:

I'm not sure if its good or bad that you can't find shit by googling my name. Best I can find is a senior design project if you google the department I was in during undergrad.
A friend was telling me there's actually a service you can sign up for that will do just this. It's like reverse search optimization, they do everything they can do bury your personal info way down deep in search results, so that strangers can't find it.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:51 pm

Zojirushi wrote:
Is your tar from COB?
Yessir.

meddlingkid

Bronze

Post by meddlingkid » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:56 pm

I don't know about you all but I'm obsessive about "de-tagging" myself from certain pictures, too, because I have no idea what my friends' privacy setting are.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”