Any full-tuition scholarship people out there!? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sawwaverunner

Bronze

Any full-tuition scholarship people out there!?

Post by sawwaverunner » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:18 pm

I am just curious to hear about the experiences of people who are currently enrolled in Law School and are going through it with the prospect of zero student loans. On this web-site we hear so much about the people who are bypassing big scholarships to go to the best schools they can. To even things out, how do current law students out there with zero tuition bills feel about their law school choice and future?

sawwaverunner

Bronze

Re: Any full-tuition scholarship people out there!?

Post by sawwaverunner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:09 pm

Maybe I will change this post to, "any students paying $150,000 plus for a Tier 1/2" so that I will get more bites.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:11 pm

sawwaverunner wrote:I am just curious to hear about the experiences of people who are currently enrolled in Law School and are going through it with the prospect of zero student loans. On this web-site we hear so much about the people who are bypassing big scholarships to go to the best schools they can. To even things out, how do current law students out there with zero tuition bills feel about their law school choice and future?
Fullrides don't cover COL. So the only way they won't have loans is if they have significant savings.

sawwaverunner

Bronze

Post by sawwaverunner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
sawwaverunner wrote:I am just curious to hear about the experiences of people who are currently enrolled in Law School and are going through it with the prospect of zero student loans. On this web-site we hear so much about the people who are bypassing big scholarships to go to the best schools they can. To even things out, how do current law students out there with zero tuition bills feel about their law school choice and future?
Fullrides don't cover COL. So the only way they won't have loans is if they have significant savings.
Gotcha, but where I live/go to law school, studio apartments cost around $400-$500/month, which one could cover if they worked 20 hours a week (plus saved through working during the summer/during the school year). I know this isn't the case for most though, so let's assume that COL will be an extra $5,000, as the average law student works before diving in and is able to save some, plus he/she works while in school. I would think that type of student loan is negligible compared to what some take out.

I am just trying to get some opinions from those who can speak to getting major scholarships to fund their education.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:22 pm

sawwaverunner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Gotcha, but where I live/go to law school, studio apartments cost around $400-$500/month, which one could cover if they worked 20 hours a week (plus saved through working during the summer/during the school year). I know this isn't the case for most though, so let's assume that COL will be an extra $5,000, as the average law student works before diving in and is able to save some, plus he/she works while in school. I would think that type of student loan is negligible compared to what some take out.

I am just trying to get some opinions from those who can speak to getting major scholarships to fund their education.
Working 20 hours a week during 1L is a really bad idea.

I think you are looking at an average of at least 12K in cost of living.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Giddy-Up

Bronze

Post by Giddy-Up » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:25 pm

Full Scholarship + Stipend + Full Time Job + GI Bill here. I do enjoy being debt free. However, when people ask where I go to law school I sometimes wish that I could drop the name of the best school that I got into rather than the ~60 ranked school I am currently attending.

watts

New

Post by watts » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm

I got some fellowship from MN that covers COL

Giddy-Up

Bronze

Post by Giddy-Up » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:32 pm

jayzon wrote:
Giddy-Up wrote:Full Scholarship + Stipend + Full Time Job + GI Bill here. I do enjoy being debt free. However, when people ask where I go to law school I sometimes wish that I could drop the name of the best school that I got into rather than the ~60 ranked school I am currently attending.
Yeah, but in a few years, when everyone who went to that school you turned down is paying off loans, you can buy the drinks.
True. I guess no matter how good you have it, there is always the temptation to believe that the grass is greener.

sawwaverunner

Bronze

Post by sawwaverunner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:39 pm

Giddy-Up wrote:
jayzon wrote:
Giddy-Up wrote:Full Scholarship + Stipend + Full Time Job + GI Bill here. I do enjoy being debt free. However, when people ask where I go to law school I sometimes wish that I could drop the name of the best school that I got into rather than the ~60 ranked school I am currently attending.
Yeah, but in a few years, when everyone who went to that school you turned down is paying off loans, you can buy the drinks.
True. I guess no matter how good you have it, there is always the temptation to believe that the grass is greener.
That's amazing, Giddy-Up!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sawwaverunner

Bronze

Post by sawwaverunner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
sawwaverunner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Working 20 hours a week during 1L is a really bad idea.

I think you are looking at an average of at least 12K in cost of living.
I worked approximately 20 hours during one L. It really wasn't that bad. Skipped bar nights, had to balance when I worked, and often I would study while at work. It's doable for sure.

joe_45

New

Post by joe_45 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:17 pm

If I get accepted to any law schools in Texas the new GI Bill will pay for the full tuition plus around 1200-1500 a month for rent

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:21 pm

Amazing how off topic this thread went. Love to hear ppl's experiences about school choice and virtually no debt.

1WingedAngel

New

Post by 1WingedAngel » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:13 am

MostStronglySupported recently had a blog about this. It's by a student who chose a lower-ranked school with a free ride, over a top choice. She seems pretty happy, but there are probably many other factors that contribute to this.

http://moststronglysupported.com/blog/g ... ecision-2/

2lstudent

New

Post by 2lstudent » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:48 am

For what it's worth, I graduated with zero loans. I had a full ride, and a stipend, and worked to support myself. I only worked jobs that paid at least 25 dollars an hour during 1L, so it didn't take long to add up.

I graduated last May, and I love the freedom of not having any loans. I can basically do what I want in terms of career choice. My friends are working at retail places to get through, or part time at some random make-work job at the law school. The only jobs posted in my area are debt collection/creditor's rights sorts of gigs, which honestly don't interest me at all. I have never had any desire to work at a firm, or to deal with the whole billable hours thing. So I take the cases and work I want to, and continue to teach part time. It's a really sweet deal. I'd be happy to answer other questions, probably by pm if they are particularly uh, intrusive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”