What are some good government jobs? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ps494

Bronze

What are some good government jobs?

Post by ps494 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:46 pm

For those of us that are not gunning for biglaw and loads of cash, what are some interesting areas of law in the public sector.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Re: What are some good government jobs?

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:47 pm

i've been wondering this as well...other than DOJ i'm not exactly sure what's out there and what areas of practice are good for what jobs...

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:56 pm

There arethe traditional District or County Attorney offices - local prosecutors of the state. Every state has an attorney general's office that is analogous to the DoJ headquarters for each state. EVERY federal agency needs legal counsel - FCC, FTC, SEC, FBI, etc. Those jobs tend to pay rather well, but are very competitive.

You could also work as a counsel for cities or towns, work as an administrator of trusts, or as a bailiff... probably don't want to go the bailiff route.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:59 pm

I know a guy who graduated from Harvard in 1991 who has a high paying government job. He's a URM though.

Chiglaw

New

Post by Chiglaw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:58 am

Anyone know of someone going the J.D. to FBI special agent route or what kind of work someone like that would do? Read on their recruiting site that a law degree is one way to qualify for consideration but not sure if they act as counsel or perform investigations etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:20 am

Chiglaw wrote:Anyone know of someone going the J.D. to FBI special agent route or what kind of work someone like that would do? Read on their recruiting site that a law degree is one way to qualify for consideration but not sure if they act as counsel or perform investigations etc.
I don't know too much about it, but I bet that most JDs that join the FBI end up riding a desk. Granted, this is what lawyers do, but if I was taking that FBI route, I would want to be in the field.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:29 pm

Cavalier wrote:I know a guy who graduated from Harvard in 1991 who has a high paying government job. He's a URM though.

haha I like how you added he's a URM to make up for the fake that he went to a shitty law school :mrgreen:

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:03 pm

ps494 wrote:
Chiglaw wrote:Anyone know of someone going the J.D. to FBI special agent route or what kind of work someone like that would do? Read on their recruiting site that a law degree is one way to qualify for consideration but not sure if they act as counsel or perform investigations etc.
I don't know too much about it, but I bet that most JDs that join the FBI end up riding a desk. Granted, this is what lawyers do, but if I was taking that FBI route, I would want to be in the field.

Seeing as though entrance into the FBI used to require a JD or CPA, this is a fucking dumb statement. FBI special agents with JD'S do the same work as other special agents and are considered special agents not lawyers.

As an aside, there are many government jobs, most of which are extremely hard to obtain because the work tends to be somewhat interesting, the experience valuable and the benefits are awesome. Thus, for a federal government position, its often as hard or harder than biglaw. For state agencies its still very very hard and local-docal DA/PD jobs are a little easier to find in secondary markets, but still pretty damn competitive (would you rather be a prosecutor or a shitlaw plaintiff's guy? )

Columbia Law

Bronze

Post by Columbia Law » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:14 pm

That's not true reasonable man. Some of us are content on only making 60k a year. That's why we don't need biglaw. We are willing to settle. I don't need biglaw. All of the people on here grunting are the ones who had dreams of making 160k out of law school. We want to settle for 60k jobs and take out full loans to a TTT. I don't need biglaw, therefore I am justified in taking out 200K because fedral loan forgiveness will wipe my plate clean in a few years.

Government jobs for everybody!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Columbia Law wrote:That's not true reasonable man. Some of us are content on only making 60k a year. That's why we don't need biglaw. We are willing to settle. I don't need biglaw. All of the people on here grunting are the ones who had dreams of making 160k out of law school. We want to settle for 60k jobs and take out full loans to a TTT. I don't need biglaw, therefore I am justified in taking out 200K because fedral loan forgiveness will wipe my plate clean in a few years.

I thought it was 10 years. And correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these jobs very competitive especially now since the economy is in the shitter?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:21 pm

Doritos wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:That's not true reasonable man. Some of us are content on only making 60k a year. That's why we don't need biglaw. We are willing to settle. I don't need biglaw. All of the people on here grunting are the ones who had dreams of making 160k out of law school. We want to settle for 60k jobs and take out full loans to a TTT. I don't need biglaw, therefore I am justified in taking out 200K because fedral loan forgiveness will wipe my plate clean in a few years.

I thought it was 10 years. And correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these jobs very competitive especially now since the economy is in the shitter?
Kindly read my post, which discusses how hard these jobs are to get in detail.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:25 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Doritos wrote:

That's what I get for skimming and not reading. I agree with you by the way, with a bad economy those jobs are going to be more competitive than ever. I still was under the impression that it was 10 years for the forgiveness and Columbialaw is saying they are going to be debt free in a few years which doesn't jive

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:17 pm

A friend of mine is a county hearing officer. Pay isn't much but benefits & hours are great. Dunno about competitiveness.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Connelly

Bronze

Post by Connelly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Cavalier wrote:I know a guy who graduated from Harvard in 1991 who has a high paying government job. He's a URM though.
Return on investment of his job is crappy. How much did he have to spend to get that job? :lol:

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:51 pm

President!

Chiglaw

New

Post by Chiglaw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Doritos wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
Doritos wrote:

That's what I get for skimming and not reading. I agree with you by the way, with a bad economy those jobs are going to be more competitive than ever. I still was under the impression that it was 10 years for the forgiveness and Columbialaw is saying they are going to be debt free in a few years which doesn't jive
You're right, although the size of your payments varies on the number of people in your household and the bracket your income falls in. Some people never have to pay anything (i.e. income under 20k and 2 people in your family)

http://www.ibrinfo.org/what.vp.html

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:18 pm

FBI requires tons of lie detector test and it requires that you took no drugs other than weed in the last 10 years, and that you did not smoke/consume any weed in the last 3 years. Just fyi in case anyone is going to plan ahead with this in mind.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:55 pm

ughOSU wrote:FBI requires tons of lie detector test and it requires that you took no drugs other than weed in the last 10 years, and that you did not smoke/consume any weed in the last 3 years. Just fyi in case anyone is going to plan ahead with this in mind.
You have to be a Boyscout to get a job at the FBI.

boardercms

New

Post by boardercms » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:56 pm

Pretty much every government agency hires thousands of lawyers. And there are hundreds of government agencies... And thats just the federal government.

Each state government im sure is the same way. And cities too on a smaller scale.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:57 pm

ps494 wrote:
ughOSU wrote:FBI requires tons of lie detector test and it requires that you took no drugs other than weed in the last 10 years, and that you did not smoke/consume any weed in the last 3 years. Just fyi in case anyone is going to plan ahead with this in mind.
You have to be a Boyscout to get a job at the FBI.
I'm an Eagle Scout and I certainly don't qualify!

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:02 pm

Were just trying to win, trying not to sin, high off weed and lotsa gin- smoke so much need oxygen-

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Chico you go to Ohio State don't you

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Doritos wrote:Chico you go to Ohio State don't you

Yup

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Ill pay pal you a dollar if you tell me who is in my avatar - from left to right-

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:11 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
Ill pay pal you a dollar if you tell me who is in my avatar - from left to right-
Nash and Mason and that's without google searching. I just graduated from OSU back in June. Columbus born and raised

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”