Is it legal/permissable to record LS classes/lectures? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
fonzerelli

Bronze

Is it legal/permissable to record LS classes/lectures?

Post by fonzerelli » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:29 pm

Is it permissable, or even legal, to record law school class lectures, discussions, etc?

There are digital recorders for about $50 bucks that allow over 400 hours of recording time and I think it would be useful for studying as well.

I'm also imagining (at the end of three years) burning a CD with the entire contents of a law school education. A CD for 100k+.... now that's ROI! ;)

superserial

Bronze

Re: Is it legal/permissable to record LS classes/lectures?

Post by superserial » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:49 pm

I think it's common practice for people to ask professors if it's okay before recording their lectures... I'm not sure about the legal/honor code implications (if any) of recording without permission and getting caught... you'll probably just have a pissed off professor.

fongandrew

New

Post by fongandrew » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:12 pm

Recording without the consent of the professor is probably illegal. Selling the lectures is almost definitely illegal. Off the top of my head, laws you'd be breaking / things you could be sued for include:

* Local and state laws on recording without consent
* If it's a small enough class, you may be violating the professor's reasonable expectation of privacy
* If the lecture is not extemporaneous (i.e. it's written down and/or prepared ahead of time), then you may be violating copyright law
* The terms of any contract you agreed to with the law school

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:14 pm

i know one of my friends in undergrad had to record lectures b/c of a learning disability. So, I guess if you have a reason... it's not.

fongandrew

New

Post by fongandrew » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:15 pm

@avacado111 Even if you have a good reason, you still need to clear it with the professor or school ahead of time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:44 pm

This is probably the single most inefficient study method I can imagine. Just pay attention the first time.

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:05 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:This is probably the single most inefficient study method I can imagine. Just pay attention the first time.
I don't know... there's something about reviewing and hearing something twice that really sets it into memory. That and for 100k+, I want something tangible (ok digital) such as a backed up file on my hard drive labelled: "my lawl schooling infotapes."

Something to show the kids someday.....

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:10 am

The next generation of gunner listens to bedtime stories of the statue of frauds and lets his or her iPod croon sweet melodies of strict liability throughout the night, done with the hope that he or she will subconsciously absorb the information.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:13 am

I would just ask for permission. One of my classmates has a disability, and she has the most amazing software that takes down the lectures word for word in written form in her notes. I think if you had a legitimate use for the recording, your request might be granted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:14 am

fonzerelli wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:This is probably the single most inefficient study method I can imagine. Just pay attention the first time.
I don't know... there's something about reviewing and hearing something twice that really sets it into memory. That and for 100k+, I want something tangible (ok digital) such as a backed up file on my hard drive labelled: "my lawl schooling infotapes."

your kids are going to suck.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:46 am

superserial wrote:
fonzerelli wrote:

No, they're just going to hate their dad because he plays back his law school lectures to them instead of taking them to Disney World.

DoctorNick189

Bronze

Post by DoctorNick189 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:48 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I would just ask for permission. One of my classmates has a disability, and she has the most amazing software that takes down the lectures word for word in written form in her notes. I think if you had a legitimate use for the recording, your request might be granted.
What is the name of that software?

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:49 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:
superserial wrote:
fonzerelli wrote:

No, they're just going to hate their dad because he plays back his law school lectures to them instead of taking them to Disney World.
alright, so his daughters will suck...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:49 am

At UVA there is a system the professors can use to record the lectures and have them automatically posted to the school website in an available-only-to-students section. It got used a lot this past fall, with the H1N1 going around so much and people missing classes. It's entirely discretionary by professor, though, most don't use it regularly, and those that did were probably only doing it because of the flu outbreak and attendance problems.

Recording yourself without permission would be extraordinarily frowned upon, at the least. It may violate school policy also, I'm pretty sure it does but I don't know where to look to verify this.

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 am

superserial wrote:
fonzerelli wrote:

You're kids are going to look like your tar. Wait, is that little harry? He looks more like a goat every day. That reminds me, say hi to your mother for me Superserial. Thanks man. ;)

byu85

New

Post by byu85 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:52 am

yes, they don't care (I'm a 1L and did it a lot last semester) I just used the don't ask dont tell policy, but I don't know why they would object, it's not like I am going to blackmail a teacher with their torts lecture...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:53 am

byu85 wrote:yes, they don't care (I'm a 1L and did it a lot last semester) I just used the don't ask dont tell policy, but I don't know why they would object, it's not like I am going to blackmail a teacher with their torts lecture...
No, but you could sell it or distribute it freely, which violates their intellectual property rights.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:54 am

fonzerelli wrote:
superserial wrote:
fonzerelli wrote:

You're kids are going to look like your tar. Wait, is that little harry? He looks more like a goat every day. That reminds me, say hi to your mother for me Superserial. Thanks man. ;)

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:03 am

superserial wrote:I'm 6 points autistic.
Last edited by fonzerelli on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:06 am

fonzerelli wrote:
Are you retarded?
Psst... Your ignorance is showing.

Denny Crane!

pitFlyz

New

Post by pitFlyz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:08 pm

I can't believe these replies are coming from a law forum. Are you guys all as scared as your replies? The first amendment of the US constitution protects the freedom of press. In individual cases, Teachers and professors of regularly scheduled classes have been proven to not have the right to the "reasonable expectation of privacy" that is guaranteed in the fourth amendment. Attendees of regularly scheduled classes possess many of the same rights as a reporter on the streets. The only catch comes in when you attempt to distribute the recordings. Here your recordings are subject to copyright protection of the school or business that you were in when you made the recordings. Therefore, you not only Can record lectures for your own use, you very much Should. It is an exercise of the rights that make this nation so free and so great.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:12 pm

this thread is 4 years old...

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:25 pm

Next time you make a random google search on a topic and it drags you to a forum you don't regularly post in, at LEAST make sure you're posting on something even remotely time-relevant. You obviously web searched this topic, and for some unknown reason decided to create a TLS account just to post.

Kind of super lame.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”