Success without passion? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

I decided on law school because...

I love it! Law is my passion.
35%
My passion is actually ___, but Law was more practical.
23%
I don't have passions- Law was just a pragmatic choice.
33%
Other
9%

Total votes: 150

Panther7

Bronze

Re: Success without passion?

Post by Panther7 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:02 pm

summerstar wrote:
Panther7 wrote:By the way, this MB test amazed me when my description stated that "I often argue points I don't even believe in just to test them out for myself." I nearly spit up my drink when I read that, because I do that shit all the time. I get in debates and argue whatever point I feel like just to get a better understanding of it myself. All my relatives think I'm some sort of raving lunatic, and I never quite understood that. I really do take debate as a way to work out both my and my adversaries opinions, while most people (I assume) actually do it to try and convince not themselves but the other person. That was the point that sold me on such a simple personality test.
Isn't that a Philadelphia Lawyer?
I have no idea what this means.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:03 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
summerstar wrote:right, saw those. I was thinking just posting raw numbers
Oh holy shit, you want a thread where everyone would post their IQ?

Yeah, that would be amusing, and totally useless. You'd get a lot of "I don't know my exact IQ but it's OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAND" and "My IQ is 167" followed by "My IQ is 168" followed by "haha u guyz my iq is 169" and "Whatever CE2JD says his IQ is, subtract 20 points" and "this thread should prove conclusively that URMs do not belong in top law schools". The ending would be an epic flamefest that went on for days/weeks/month until a mod finally decided to spoil the fun by locking the thread.

I'd like to see a thread where people just actually post their IQ, but it ain't gonna happen.
Part of this problem is that IQ is always measured in different numerical standard deviations based on WHICH test you took. I've seen my IQ range 30 points one way or another based on which test I've taken, even though the SD is almost always the same.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:04 pm

Panther7 wrote:
summerstar wrote:
Panther7 wrote:By the way, this MB test amazed me when my description stated that "I often argue points I don't even believe in just to test them out for myself." I nearly spit up my drink when I read that, because I do that shit all the time. I get in debates and argue whatever point I feel like just to get a better understanding of it myself. All my relatives think I'm some sort of raving lunatic, and I never quite understood that. I really do take debate as a way to work out both my and my adversaries opinions, while most people (I assume) actually do it to try and convince not themselves but the other person. That was the point that sold me on such a simple personality test.

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:06 pm

Panther7 wrote:
summerstar wrote:
It's an expression for a lawyer that knows the minutae of the law and is excellent at oral argument.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:11 pm

summerstar wrote:
Panther7 wrote:
summerstar wrote:
It's an expression for a lawyer that knows the minutae of the law and is excellent at oral argument.
ah, i guess.... I am interested in going into criminal law (prosecution or public defender)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:12 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
summerstar wrote:right, saw those. I was thinking just posting raw numbers
Oh holy shit, you want a thread where everyone would post their IQ?

Yeah, that would be amusing, and totally useless. You'd get a lot of "I don't know my exact IQ but it's OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAND" and "My IQ is 167" followed by "My IQ is 168" followed by "haha u guyz my iq is 169" and "Whatever CE2JD says his IQ is, subtract 20 points" and "this thread should prove conclusively that URMs do not belong in top law schools". The ending would be an epic flamefest that went on for days/weeks/month until a mod finally decided to spoil the fun by locking the thread.

I'd like to see a thread where people just actually post their IQ, but it ain't gonna happen.
Exactly. It would be a mess, so no one would dare. Besides, apart from different tests using different numbers ranges, and thereby invalidating any accurate comparison, there's an unspoken, maybe, rule that one does not disclose one's IQ number. Many times, people don't even know theirs. It remains a secret on your transcript unless you request it.
I wasn't bringing it up to incite anything, or start a brag-fest. Just wondered in the light of the Meyers-Briggs topic. Peace out!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:15 pm

ENFP rules.

edit: N/M E=1 N=1 F=21 P=13 Those are all low, right? I barely have a personality.
Last edited by D. H2Oman on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:16 pm

on a side note, just skimming that other thread, I noticed that every other INTP was a male, not a single female. I wonder if females are ever INTP.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Panther7 wrote:I am interested in going into criminal law (prosecution or public defender)
What the fuck, dude, are we twins separated at birth or something?

What's your hair/eye color? :lol:
Last edited by vanwinkle on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:23 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Panther7 wrote:I am interested in going into criminal law (prosecution or public defender)

brown/green and my skin is white as snow

so i doubt we're twins, based on your profile, lol

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:24 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Voila le MBTI link:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p2368620
cool, I'm going to redo mine and see if mine's different since my head changed gears toward LS

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:28 pm

Dwaterman86 wrote:ENFP rules.

edit: N/M E=1 N=1 F=21 P=13 Those are all low, right? I barely have a personality.
Oh, welcome!

I have some extra personality I don't need. Can we trade?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:30 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I have some extra personality I don't need. Can we trade?
You don't say... haha

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:31 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:

Oh, welcome!

Well, It would be quite consistent with your personality type to help out someone less fortunate.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:31 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

<----

Splitter as well.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:40 pm

Dwaterman86 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

Oh, welcome!

Well, It would be quite consistent with your personality type to help out someone less fortunate.
It wouldn't be any kind of help, I'm afraid. Strong emotions cause any number of problems. People tell me not to take TLS so seriously, but I literally cannot follow their advice.

Your lower numbers probably mean you have well developed strengths on the opposite side. It's better to be good at everything. :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:43 pm

It's apparently also consistent with OS's type to try to interpret everything for others from the most positive angle possible. For example, she always tells me I'm not an asshole. I really am, but she's sweet enough to disbelieve it.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:44 pm

dresden doll wrote:It's apparently also consistent with OS's type to try to interpret everything for others from the most positive angle possible. For example, she always tells me I'm not an asshole. I really am, but she's sweet enough to disbelieve it.
Actually in that case she's being nice to the rest of TLS by letting them tell you instead. :mrgreen:

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:49 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
dresden doll wrote:It's apparently also consistent with OS's type to try to interpret everything for others from the most positive angle possible. For example, she always tells me I'm not an asshole. I really am, but she's sweet enough to disbelieve it.
Actually in that case she's being nice to the rest of TLS by letting them tell you instead. :mrgreen:
I actually think my particular brand of assholishness fits in with TLS pretty well. That must be why no one - for the most part, anyway - seems to call me out on my rather prickly posts.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:51 pm

dresden doll wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
I actually think my particular brand of assholishness fits in with TLS pretty well. That must be why no one - for the most part, anyway - seems to call me out on my rather prickly posts.
I don't even consider your posts assholish.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:56 pm

dresden doll wrote:It's apparently also consistent with OS's type to try to interpret everything for others from the most positive angle possible.

Hahaha, very true. I wish I could be "glass half full" like that

uganik

Bronze

Post by uganik » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:56 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:......according to Isabel Briggs Myer's seminal study on type, ENFP is the second likeliest of the 16 types to drop out of law school. surpassed only by INFP. All the NT types are likely to stick with it. The challenge for ENFPs is too many passions, not lack of any at all. I just told my parents that I really want a JD/MSW, and it might make sense to go for it if my grades suck or legal hiring doesn't pick up. Helping people in a non legal capacity >>> doc review in a biglaw basement somewhere.
Barack Obama's an ENFP.

Maybe that explains why he didn't go after Big Law.

Teaching and public service on the other hand seemed to come quite naturally to him.

Edit: Bill Clinton's an ENFP as well
Last edited by uganik on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:56 pm

Panther7 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
I don't even consider your posts assholish.
Most people don't. That genuinely surprises me at times.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:51 am

Dresden, darling, for the last time, you are NOT an asshole. There is a reason I defended you to my own classmates after the cesspools comment. I would not have done that for an asshole.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”