Housing in D.C? Also any GWU Students live in the Aston? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
FromRussiaWithLove

New

Housing in D.C? Also any GWU Students live in the Aston?

Post by FromRussiaWithLove » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:00 am

I am moving to D.C. in July to attend GWU and I wanted to get some input regarding affordable and safe housing. Can anyone share their experiences about neighborhoods or areas? Is it better to live by the school or far away near a metro station? Any and all input on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Also, if there are any GWU students that lived in the Aston, could you comment on the quality of the place. Were you happy there or would you rather have been in your own apartment?

I don't know how the graduate housing works at GWU, but I will be moving and living with my SO, so that is a factor in making a decision regarding housing. Does this immediately rule out school housing?

Zindras

New

Re: Housing in D.C? Also any GWU Students live in the Aston?

Post by Zindras » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:59 am

I graduated last May from GWU undergrad and am currently living in a nearby apartment complex - Columbia Plaza. It's one of the cheapest apartments in Foggy Bottom ($1500-1600 for a 600 sq. feet studio I share with my SO), a block from the GWU gym and a short walk from the law school, so it's unsurprisingly popular with GWU grad students.
(http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/DC ... Plaza.html).

If you're looking for something cheaper but still nearby, take a look at the Savoy (http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/DC ... Savoy.html).

The area around the apartments and school is great - safe, close to the Foggy Bottom metro, as quiet as an undergrad campus gets. You're also a 10 minute walk from many of the major DC landmarks: Georgetown, Dupont Circle, the White House, etc.

If high rent isn't your thing, though, I'd recommend looking out in Arlington. Crystal City has the best deals and is only a few metro stops from the campus.

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:24 am

Zindras wrote:I graduated last May from GWU undergrad and am currently living in a nearby apartment complex - Columbia Plaza. It's one of the cheapest apartments in Foggy Bottom ($1500-1600 for a 600 sq. feet studio I share with my SO), a block from the GWU gym and a short walk from the law school, so it's unsurprisingly popular with GWU grad students.

If you're looking for something cheaper but still nearby, take a look at the Savoy (http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/DC ... Savoy.html).

The area around the apartments and school is great - safe, close to the Foggy Bottom metro, as quiet as an undergrad campus gets. You're also a 10 minute walk from many of the major DC landmarks: Georgetown, Dupont Circle, the White House, etc.

If high rent isn't your thing, though, I'd recommend looking out in Arlington. Crystal City has the best deals and is only a few metro stops from the campus.
Thanks for the info. Do you know anything about the housing situation in the Georgetown neighborhood? Are there any options?

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:28 am

I can't speak to GW housing, specifically, but I can share some info on DC renting in general:

It is expensive to live here. Less than NY but about the same as Boston. Apartments near GW (and near a metro, in general) tend to be at least 1500-1700. That said, there are deals to be had if you are willing to use DC's (very good) bus system rather than the trains, and GW is walking distance from Georgetown, Dupont Circle, and (a bit farther) Adam's Morgan.

A better option for most young single people is a house share. DC is full of interns, students, non-profit employees, etc., and none of them can afford an apartment. So there are lots of opportunities to rent a room in a house with like-minded people.

I would try to stay in DC (rather than in Virginia or Maryland), and if you are not planning on bringing a car, try to live near a grocery store and some restaurants.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:31 am

js87 wrote:Thanks for the info. Do you know anything about the housing situation in the Georgetown neighborhood? Are there any options?
Georgetown is super-expensive, not on any metro lines, not near any grocery stores. Also, people there all wear those polo shirts with the collars popped, which is a deal-breaker for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zindras

New

Post by Zindras » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:48 am

js87 wrote:
Zindras wrote:I graduated last May from GWU undergrad and am currently living in a nearby apartment complex - Columbia Plaza. It's one of the cheapest apartments in Foggy Bottom ($1500-1600 for a 600 sq. feet studio I share with my SO), a block from the GWU gym and a short walk from the law school, so it's unsurprisingly popular with GWU grad students.

Thanks for the info. Do you know anything about the housing situation in the Georgetown neighborhood? Are there any options?
I wouldn't suggest the Georgetown neighborhood. You can find more affordable housing in the West End, which is close enough to the M Street strip while being within walking distance to the Foggy Bottom metro. If you're set on the Georgetown neighborhood you'll probably end up living with a group of people in somebody else's basement. There are probably listings on craigslist.

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:15 am

Zindras wrote:
js87 wrote:

I wouldn't suggest the Georgetown neighborhood. You can find more affordable housing in the West End, which is close enough to the M Street strip while being within walking distance to the Foggy Bottom metro. If you're set on the Georgetown neighborhood you'll probably end up living with a group of people in somebody else's basement. There are probably listings on craigslist.
+1 I graduated from GWU undergrad as well and I had friends living in the West End who seemed to have no problem with it. I moved from off campus to Logan Circle after when I graduated, and I would also recommend that if you don't mind a bit more of a commute. I live relatively close (5 blocks or so) from the McPherson Square metro which is two stops away from GWU, and to the Circulator, which brings you only a couple blocks from campus along K Street, and I'm paying $925/mo with a roommate. My roommate has a friend who is a student at GW law now also living right by us and he seems to like the location.

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:40 am

don't live in georgetown... its not convenient if you need to be in foggy bottom all the time.

it is a lot cooler than mostly anywhere else but don't live there.

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:53 am

OP: Depends on where you want to be.

Foggy Bottom - Closest to GWU Law - also VERY expensive (1400-1700 for a studio)
Other areas to consider: Adams Morgan, Dupont, H Street Corridor, Capitol Hill, Georgetown.
- Each of these are going to be reasonably expense for city living. cheapest of the above would likely be Capitol HIll (you can get a 1 bedroom (English style) for 1500-2700 (adds over 400 square feet to a studio in Foggy Bottom)

Cheaper Places:
-Arlington VA (including Rosslyn, Clarendon, Courthouse, etc): close to GWU (only 2 stops away) much cheaper and safe.
- Bethesda/Silver Spring MD: Access to GWU via metro (could take 30-45 minutes) but it has it's supporters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:58 am

Mt. Pleasant is the best all-around, I think.

Zindras

New

Post by Zindras » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:00 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:OP: Depends on where you want to be.

Foggy Bottom - Closest to GWU Law - also VERY expensive (1400-1700 for a studio)
Other areas to consider: Adams Morgan, Dupont, H Street Corridor, Capitol Hill, Georgetown.
- Each of these are going to be reasonably expense for city living. cheapest of the above would likely be Capitol HIll (you can get a 1 bedroom (English style) for 1500-2700 (adds over 400 square feet to a studio in Foggy Bottom)

Cheaper Places:
-Arlington VA (including Rosslyn, Clarendon, Courthouse, etc): close to GWU (only 2 stops away) much cheaper and safe.
- Bethesda/Silver Spring MD: Access to GWU via metro (could take 30-45 minutes) but it has it's supporters.
If you're looking for affordability over neighborhood aesthetics, definitely take the above advice and look at Arlington. For example, Crystal City may be one hell of an ugly city (gray apartment buildings as far as the eye can see, and an expansive underground moleman mall), but it's convenient, cheap, and very safe. You can get twice the apartment space for the same rent as within DC.

jsoell

New

Post by jsoell » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:29 pm

I´m not sure what the OP is looking for, but if I were moving back to DC, I would definitely look into Mt. P, as well as Columbia Heights (where I just left), Petworth, Shaw, and maybe Eastern Market. The fact of the matter is, the most convenient places would be on campus or Foggy Bottom, and the cheapest might be in Crystal City or Arlington, but you can´t beat the vibe in Mt P/Col Hts/Petworth/Shaw/U St.

Oh, and definitely not Georgetown.
skynet wrote:Mt. Pleasant is the best all-around, I think.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:54 am

Last edited by 5ky on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FromRussiaWithLove

New

Post by FromRussiaWithLove » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:54 am

Thanks to everyone who responded! I am going to be flying out there soon in order to check out these places in person.

That video is hilarious btw...even for someone not from Arlington.

Nobody here lived in the Aston?

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:18 am

I didn't live in the Aston (went to GW undergrad) but I've been in it. IMO it's overpriced. The rooms are nice but you can get the same thing or better for much less in the area. I agree with the person who suggested the Savoy if you want to stay close to campus, and would also throw in Jefferson House and Claridge House (both just minutes walking distance from the same Trader Joe's that Sotomayor shops at!). Also look at places along the Georgetown-Union Station Circulator bus line; it's only a dollar to ride and it comes every 5-10 minutes, and drops you off about 4 blocks from the law school.

mugwump

New

Post by mugwump » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:29 am

Worked in DC for a number of years. Recommend you look at Alexandria if you're considering the 'burbs. Unlike Arlington, which is a string of neighborhoods, Alexandria has a city center as well as a history. It is no further from Foggy Bottom by Metro than the further reaches of Arlington (i.e. Ballston, Virginia Square) and closer than Silver Spring. Unlike the rest of Virginia, both Arlington and Alexandria are fairly liberal in their politics. :D

feministchemist

New

Post by feministchemist » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:16 pm

I am thinking about going with Columbia Plaza with my SO as well. Do they have washer/dryer hookups? Do you need to apply as early as possible? Are the apartments nice?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm assuming people wouldn't recommend Alexandria due to the longer commute? I used to have a place there, and I really miss it.

FromRussiaWithLove

New

Post by FromRussiaWithLove » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:45 pm

feministchemist wrote:
I am thinking about going with Columbia Plaza with my SO as well. Do they have washer/dryer hookups? Do you need to apply as early as possible? Are the apartments nice?
Did you read some of the reviews on that site Zindras linked? The place sounds terrible...

ChrisC

New

Post by ChrisC » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:16 pm

How is Dupont Circle? Is it a nice/safe area to live? Pretty walkable?

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Lol-

I live in the straight up hood compared to all the places mentioned in this thread. H-street corridor yo! Not that convenient to GW, but just as reasonable a commute as places like Alexandria.

IMO, the group house thing is the way to go. Not hard at all to keep things well under $1,000 a month.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:54 pm

ChrisC wrote:How is Dupont Circle? Is it a nice/safe area to live? Pretty walkable?
It is nice, safe, walkable, and has lots to do. It's also crazy expensive. Go a tad south of the circle, like around K-L and 20th-24th, and you'll find some comparatively more affordable places and be within walking distance of DuPont and the law school.

Zindras

New

Post by Zindras » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:23 am

FromRussiaWithLove wrote:
feministchemist wrote:
Did you read some of the reviews on that site Zindras linked? The place sounds terrible...
You're not paying for a luxury apartment, you're paying for the convenience of living by the school. Nonetheless, I am going to Georgetown next year (originally planned on GW) and still plan to remain here. I don't have any rodents or critters of any kind, I can't hear my neighbors through the walls, and the apartment is surprisingly nice. There are washers/driers on each floor.

The complex also has a deal worked out with GW as per rent requirements.
http://living.gwu.edu/halls/graduatehou ... mbiaPlaza/

The Savoy is another "cheap" apartment complex in the area and has similar reviews. Still, if you want an apartment with 80%+ reviews, prepare to spend $750-1000 a month more, or look in Arlington and commute in by Metro.

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:59 am

Not to hijack, but can anyone comment on exactly how far the commute is from Alexandria? If I get into GW, my fiance and I were looking seriously at buying a condo there, and one of the perks is that the building has a free shuttle to the Van Dorn metro stop, which I believe is on the same line as GW? From the map, though, it looks like they are about as far apart on the blue line as you can get.

Zindras

New

Post by Zindras » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:48 am

jk11287 wrote:Not to hijack, but can anyone comment on exactly how far the commute is from Alexandria? If I get into GW, my fiance and I were looking seriously at buying a condo there, and one of the perks is that the building has a free shuttle to the Van Dorn metro stop, which I believe is on the same line as GW? From the map, though, it looks like they are about as far apart on the blue line as you can get.
I'd estimate 30 minutes on the metro, plus however long it takes to get to the stop itself.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”