Harvard Law School - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you gonna live?

On-Campus HLS housing
34%
Off-Campus Harvard University Housing
13%
Central Sq.
No votes
Davis Sq./Somerville
8%
Harvard Sq.
26%
Inman Sq.
3%
Kendall Sq.
No votes
Porter Sq.
8%
Other
8%

Total votes: 62

R. Jeeves

Gold

Re: Harvard Law School - Class of 2020

Post by R. Jeeves » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:59 am

ASW pole

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:12 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:ASW pole
There are two Mikeys???? :o

AJ1010

Bronze

Post by AJ1010 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:14 pm

cakerusk wrote:
unpetitpacifiste wrote:I've heard that 29 Garden Street doesn't have furniture... some of the university housing looks really nice but I don't want the hassle of buying furniture and sublets for the summer. I think I will try to get into a North single if my lottery allows.
I recently signed a lease that is fully furnished right across from HLS, but I have no intentions of keeping any of the furniture and am willing to give it all away for free. Please PM me if you're interested and I can send you pics. It's all in really great/decent condition. You can take whatever you want anytime between June-August.
How do people go about finding off campus housing? More specifically, the apartments right across from the law school on Mass Ave. It seemed like some of them are individually owned instead of being a typical apartment complex with a leasing office.

NotPanicking

New

Post by NotPanicking » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:17 am

nonononono wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
nonononono wrote:Trying to crowdsource here: Which T-14 full ride (if any) would you be willing to take over HLS? Assuming zero aid from Harvard and an interest in PI/gov work
question of my life RN. LIPP is darn good in some ways but not the same as a scholarship needless to say....

please someone make this decision for me ?
Lol all I want is for someone to come and say "this is the right answer." Sigh. At least it's a good problem to have. Do you mind sharing which one(s) you're considering?

Personally deciding between Harvard and Penn Levy
+1000000 Ruby deadline is literally Wednesday, my offer from Harvard would mean $200k of debt, and I have a terrible, terrible impression of Chicago, but is that worth an additional $150k to avoid? I'm like on the brink of developing an ulcer over this decision. >.<
Last edited by NotPanicking on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:05 pm

NotPanicking wrote:
nonononono wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
nonononono wrote:Trying to crowdsource here: Which T-14 full ride (if any) would you be willing to take over HLS? Assuming zero aid from Harvard and an interest in PI/gov work
question of my life RN. LIPP is darn good in some ways but not the same as a scholarship needless to say....

Lol all I want is for someone to come and say "this is the right answer." Sigh. At least it's a good problem to have. Do you mind sharing which one(s) you're considering?

+!000000 Ruby deadline is literally Wednesday, my offer from Harvard would mean $200k of debt, and I have a terrible, terrible impression of Chicago, but is that worth an additional $150k to avoid? I'm like on the brink of developing an ulcer over this decision. >.<
Did you visit Chicago and get the terrible impression or is it from all the materials that it seems terrible? I think personal fit is super important for somewhere you'll be for years, but I'm also a hard F on Myers-Briggs, so I'm biased there. If it makes you feel any better, neither one is an objectively bad choice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NotPanicking

New

Post by NotPanicking » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:03 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:
nonononono wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:

+!000000 Ruby deadline is literally Wednesday, my offer from Harvard would mean $200k of debt, and I have a terrible, terrible impression of Chicago, but is that worth an additional $150k to avoid? I'm like on the brink of developing an ulcer over this decision. >.<
Did you visit Chicago and get the terrible impression or is it from all the materials that it seems terrible? I think personal fit is super important for somewhere you'll be for years, but I'm also a hard F on Myers-Briggs, so I'm biased there. If it makes you feel any better, neither one is an objectively bad choice!
I appreciate that! I won't be able to visit any of the schools, at all, actually. :/ I'm basing my impressions on what I've read, scouring all their material online, on my interview, and on what other folks who visited the campus said. I completely agree that fit is important - organizational culture affects mental health, and mental health affects literally everything else, including the work that people produce. :(

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:45 pm

NotPanicking wrote: I appreciate that! I won't be able to visit any of the schools, at all, actually. :/ I'm basing my impressions on what I've read, scouring all their material online, on my interview, and on what other folks who visited the campus said. I completely agree that fit is important - organizational culture affects mental health, and mental health affects literally everything else, including the work that people produce. :(
Maybe you can email/call the schools and ask to chat with a current student, perhaps one who shares some of your interests/goals? It's not the same as visiting, but maybe it can give you a better feel than the internet. Good luck!

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:46 pm

NotPanicking wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:
nonononono wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:

I appreciate that! I won't be able to visit any of the schools, at all, actually. :/ I'm basing my impressions on what I've read, scouring all their material online, on my interview, and on what other folks who visited the campus said. I completely agree that fit is important - organizational culture affects mental health, and mental health affects literally everything else, including the work that people produce. :(
Haven't been to Chicago but I have heard repeatedly that for those looking for community, a sense of home, etc., that it isn't a good fit. I keep hearing that it is somewhat cold/aloof as an institution and that its vibe is more "we're an impressive, scholarly institution" vs. "welcome home"

I don't think any amount of scholarship is worth being absolutely miserable for 3 years as a young adult.

As for the question more broadly, I'm currently weighing Vanderbilt at NYU and Mordecai at Duke against H (presumably at or close to sticker). Planning visits to all because I need to get that ~*~*campus feel*~*~

NotPanicking

New

Post by NotPanicking » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:28 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
NotPanicking wrote: I appreciate that! I won't be able to visit any of the schools, at all, actually. :/ I'm basing my impressions on what I've read, scouring all their material online, on my interview, and on what other folks who visited the campus said. I completely agree that fit is important - organizational culture affects mental health, and mental health affects literally everything else, including the work that people produce. :(
Maybe you can email/call the schools and ask to chat with a current student, perhaps one who shares some of your interests/goals? It's not the same as visiting, but maybe it can give you a better feel than the internet. Good luck!
Definitely. I'm mid-email correspondence with like 5 people trying to get a sense of culture with zero direct contact haha

Thank you! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NotPanicking

New

Post by NotPanicking » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:31 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:
nonononono wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:

Haven't been to Chicago but I have heard repeatedly that for those looking for community, a sense of home, etc., that it isn't a good fit. I keep hearing that it is somewhat cold/aloof as an institution and that its vibe is more "we're an impressive, scholarly institution" vs. "welcome home"

I don't think any amount of scholarship is worth being absolutely miserable for 3 years as a young adult.

As for the question more broadly, I'm currently weighing Vanderbilt at NYU and Mordecai at Duke against H (presumably at or close to sticker). Planning visits to all because I need to get that ~*~*campus feel*~*~
I totally agree. Out of curiosity, do these reports on Chicago's figurative coldness come from Chicago students or admits who were visiting? I think part of the trouble is that people are generally at their most insufferable at ASW, so unless I'm talking to actual students/alum, I'm probably getting a skewed sense of a place.

It's a (mis)information hellhole. :? :? :?

AriGold33

New

Post by AriGold33 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:46 pm

NotPanicking wrote:
I totally agree. Out of curiosity, do these reports on Chicago's figurative coldness come from Chicago students or admits who were visiting? I think part of the trouble is that people are generally at their most insufferable at ASW, so unless I'm talking to actual students/alum, I'm probably getting a skewed sense of a place.

It's a (mis)information hellhole. :? :? :?
Probably a combo of both. Didn't help things when they kick off ASW with a lecture, no welcome speech or anything. I also had a hard time choosing $$ at Chicago vs sticker at H, but after visiting ASW it ended up being an easy choice. Happy to share more details over PM.

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:20 pm

AJ1010 wrote: How do people go about finding off campus housing? More specifically, the apartments right across from the law school on Mass Ave. It seemed like some of them are individually owned instead of being a typical apartment complex with a leasing office.
Also curious about these very same apartments.

Kinch08

Bronze

Post by Kinch08 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:46 pm

crookedsmile wrote:Anyone else looking at Gropius just for the sake of the built in social network? I think I can deal with dorm housing for a year if it means making some amigos :lol:
I'm looking at gropius too, if I can get it, future amigo.

Speaking of lodging, does anyone want to split a cheapish airbnb for the ASW?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

latif

New

Post by latif » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:02 am

How long does it take for the admissions package to arrive?
Last edited by latif on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:30 pm

anyone else going to NYU and harvard next weekend?

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:12 pm

latif wrote:How long does it take for the admissions package to arrive? accepted on March 22, living in Canada.
it took a WHILE for mine. Several weeks.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:09 pm

My book just came! Representing the Race: The Creation of the Civil Rights Lawyer. I'm so excited to read it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Brutus_the_Younger

New

Post by Brutus_the_Younger » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Last edited by Brutus_the_Younger on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fargo135

New

Post by fargo135 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:35 pm

Hey everyone! First time posting. I am wondering about housing in general. I will be moving with a wife and a cat, so we are a bit restricted in where we live. Ideally it wouldn't be super expensive either (which seems impossible for the surrounding area). How do we go about finding a place without actually being there? Is there a better website than harvardhousingoffcampus or craigslist? How early do we need to start shopping? I am coming from NYC where you don't really apartment shop until a month before you move and you must grab an apartment fast or else it's gone immediately. Is that similar to Cambridge and the surrounding areas?

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:11 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:My book just came! Representing the Race: The Creation of the Civil Rights Lawyer. I'm so excited to read it.
so exciting! hoping that means mine will only be the time of cross country shipping behind :)

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:03 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:My book just came! Representing the Race: The Creation of the Civil Rights Lawyer. I'm so excited to read it.
so exciting! hoping that means mine will only be the time of cross country shipping behind :)
Update! Got mine. Mnookin's Bargaining with the Devil!

Excuse my book-tradition ignorance, but are all books written by harvard faculty? I guess it's more fun that way because then they can get signatures :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:51 am

HonestlyThough wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:

Excuse my book-tradition ignorance, but are all books written by harvard faculty? I guess it's more fun that way because then they can get signatures :)
I believe so, as it's supposed to be another way to "sell" is on the school (like I needed selling). Also wow USPS I am impressed.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:03 am

KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:

I believe so, as it's supposed to be another way to "sell" is on the school (like I needed selling). Also wow USPS I am impressed.
right?! on easter sunday, no less

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:15 am

HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:

H wants you to bargain with the devil today, apparently.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:37 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:

H wants you to bargain with the devil today, apparently.
That was so deep

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”