UVA Class of 2020

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
Post Reply
User avatar
RParadela

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by RParadela » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:57 pm

LawMan16 wrote:For those committed to attending UVA this fall - how is your housing search coming along? Are you planning to live near grounds, or somewhere further afield?

Coming from DC, Cville apartment prices were a very welcome surprise. I managed to find somewhere of comparable quality to my current unit at less then a third of the price. My only concern is that it will be a 15-20 minute drive to the law school, which may get old fast.
Ivy looks like the move to me

User avatar
dianersg

New
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:09 am

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by dianersg » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:30 pm

LawMan16 wrote:For those committed to attending UVA this fall - how is your housing search coming along? Are you planning to live near grounds, or somewhere further afield?

Coming from DC, Cville apartment prices were a very welcome surprise. I managed to find somewhere of comparable quality to my current unit at less then a third of the price. My only concern is that it will be a 15-20 minute drive to the law school, which may get old fast.
I am also going to live about 15 mins from campus. After looking around during ASW, it definitely seems like you can get much nicer apartments for the same cost if you are willing to go a little farther out, which is worth the inconvenience of driving to me.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1881
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:22 am

LawMan16 wrote:For those committed to attending UVA this fall - how is your housing search coming along? Are you planning to live near grounds, or somewhere further afield?

Coming from DC, Cville apartment prices were a very welcome surprise. I managed to find somewhere of comparable quality to my current unit at less then a third of the price. My only concern is that it will be a 15-20 minute drive to the law school, which may get old fast.
I have a lease on a one bedroom at the Jeffersonian. Pros: reasonable rent (especially compared to the Pavilion). Closest option to the school. Cons: no in-unit washer/dryer (gunna have to start picking up rolls of quarters).

ReadyToStart

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:43 am

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by ReadyToStart » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:53 pm

I didn't get the chance to head down during ASW, but I still would like to visit.

Does anybody know if they offer the same rravel subsidy for non-ASW visits?

User avatar
PDX4343

Silver
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by PDX4343 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:12 pm

ReadyToStart wrote:I didn't get the chance to head down during ASW, but I still would like to visit.

Does anybody know if they offer the same rravel subsidy for non-ASW visits?
Late last year I was told that I would be able to receive the same travel stipend for one non-ASW visit as well. So I think you should be fine unless they've run out of funds.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


curry1

Silver
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by curry1 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Has anyone had any luck getting UVA to extend its deposit deadline?

gilmoregirlrevival

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:12 am

Post by gilmoregirlrevival » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:44 pm

...
Last edited by gilmoregirlrevival on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magdalena92

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by magdalena92 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:26 pm

Has anyone had luck negotiating scholarship money with UVA?

Excited_To_Apply

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:21 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by Excited_To_Apply » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:41 pm

magdalena92 wrote:Has anyone had luck negotiating scholarship money with UVA?
I was told they don't negotiate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


gypsyroselily

New
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by gypsyroselily » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:11 pm

magdalena92 wrote:Has anyone had luck negotiating scholarship money with UVA?
I came at them with a reconsideration request with $45,000 from Chi and significantly larger offers from Georgetown, UCLA, and USC. They reconsidered and stuck to their $0 offer, which is fine, I'm glad I tried. I'm out, everyone - maybe I'll see some of you at UChicago! :D

magdalena92

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by magdalena92 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:42 pm

gypsyroselily wrote:
magdalena92 wrote:Has anyone had luck negotiating scholarship money with UVA?
I came at them with a reconsideration request with $45,000 from Chi and significantly larger offers from Georgetown, UCLA, and USC. They reconsidered and stuck to their $0 offer, which is fine, I'm glad I tried. I'm out, everyone - maybe I'll see some of you at UChicago! :D
Dang. This is discouraging. I have some money from Mich but not looking like that'll matter to them :roll:

VA2lawschool

Bronze
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by VA2lawschool » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:53 pm

magdalena92 wrote:
gypsyroselily wrote:
magdalena92 wrote:Has anyone had luck negotiating scholarship money with UVA?
I came at them with a reconsideration request with $45,000 from Chi and significantly larger offers from Georgetown, UCLA, and USC. They reconsidered and stuck to their $0 offer, which is fine, I'm glad I tried. I'm out, everyone - maybe I'll see some of you at UChicago! :D
Dang. This is discouraging. I have some money from Mich but not looking like that'll matter to them :roll:
Unfortunately it almost certainly won't. They didn't respond to my Mich, Chicago, or NYU offers. :roll:

ray.bee

Bronze
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:07 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by ray.bee » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:56 pm

Anyone from a city-ish area/the west coast now? What do you guys think of C'Ville!? :)

Edit: Can anyone in general talk about their experience at Admitted Students Day?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


estateplanning

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by estateplanning » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:36 pm

ray.bee wrote:Anyone from a city-ish area/the west coast now? What do you guys think of C'Ville!? :)

Edit: Can anyone in general talk about their experience at Admitted Students Day?
I'm from the West Coast (LA area) and I was at Admitted Students Open House. Charlottesville is very different, but I generally enjoyed it. The people in Charlottesville area are so nice, and it seemed like everyone kind of knows what goes on in the city. All my Uber/Lyft drivers knew about Admitted students open house and asked about how I liked the area, gave suggestions on places to eat, and engaged in conversation. A lot of good restaurants in Charlottesville as well. I spent late Saturday afternoon in DT Charlottesville and it seems like an enjoyable place to walk around, eat, hang out with friends. It is definitely NOT an urban city environment though.

ray.bee

Bronze
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:07 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by ray.bee » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:06 pm

estateplanning wrote:
ray.bee wrote:Anyone from a city-ish area/the west coast now? What do you guys think of C'Ville!? :)

Edit: Can anyone in general talk about their experience at Admitted Students Day?
I'm from the West Coast (LA area) and I was at Admitted Students Open House. Charlottesville is very different, but I generally enjoyed it. The people in Charlottesville area are so nice, and it seemed like everyone kind of knows what goes on in the city. All my Uber/Lyft drivers knew about Admitted students open house and asked about how I liked the area, gave suggestions on places to eat, and engaged in conversation. A lot of good restaurants in Charlottesville as well. I spent late Saturday afternoon in DT Charlottesville and it seems like an enjoyable place to walk around, eat, hang out with friends. It is definitely NOT an urban city environment though.
Thanks! Have you decided on UVA?

User avatar
RParadela

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by RParadela » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:06 pm

For the people who negotiated their scholarship offer with UVA, how long did it take for them to respond? I sent an email a week ago and haven't recieved a response yet..

estateplanning

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by estateplanning » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:52 pm

ray.bee wrote:
estateplanning wrote:
ray.bee wrote:Anyone from a city-ish area/the west coast now? What do you guys think of C'Ville!? :)

Edit: Can anyone in general talk about their experience at Admitted Students Day?
I'm from the West Coast (LA area) and I was at Admitted Students Open House. Charlottesville is very different, but I generally enjoyed it. The people in Charlottesville area are so nice, and it seemed like everyone kind of knows what goes on in the city. All my Uber/Lyft drivers knew about Admitted students open house and asked about how I liked the area, gave suggestions on places to eat, and engaged in conversation. A lot of good restaurants in Charlottesville as well. I spent late Saturday afternoon in DT Charlottesville and it seems like an enjoyable place to walk around, eat, hang out with friends. It is definitely NOT an urban city environment though.
Thanks! Have you decided on UVA?
No, not yet. The scholarship offer, or lack thereof I should say, is making it hard to commit. And from the looks of it, UVA doesn't negotiate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


ray.bee

Bronze
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:07 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by ray.bee » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:53 pm

estateplanning wrote:
ray.bee wrote:
estateplanning wrote:
ray.bee wrote:Anyone from a city-ish area/the west coast now? What do you guys think of C'Ville!? :)

Edit: Can anyone in general talk about their experience at Admitted Students Day?
I'm from the West Coast (LA area) and I was at Admitted Students Open House. Charlottesville is very different, but I generally enjoyed it. The people in Charlottesville area are so nice, and it seemed like everyone kind of knows what goes on in the city. All my Uber/Lyft drivers knew about Admitted students open house and asked about how I liked the area, gave suggestions on places to eat, and engaged in conversation. A lot of good restaurants in Charlottesville as well. I spent late Saturday afternoon in DT Charlottesville and it seems like an enjoyable place to walk around, eat, hang out with friends. It is definitely NOT an urban city environment though.
Thanks! Have you decided on UVA?
No, not yet. The scholarship offer, or lack thereof I should say, is making it hard to commit. And from the looks of it, UVA doesn't negotiate.
Aww, well good luck with the decision process! :)

estateplanning

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by estateplanning » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:58 pm

ray.bee wrote:
estateplanning wrote:
ray.bee wrote:
estateplanning wrote:
ray.bee wrote:Anyone from a city-ish area/the west coast now? What do you guys think of C'Ville!? :)

Edit: Can anyone in general talk about their experience at Admitted Students Day?
I'm from the West Coast (LA area) and I was at Admitted Students Open House. Charlottesville is very different, but I generally enjoyed it. The people in Charlottesville area are so nice, and it seemed like everyone kind of knows what goes on in the city. All my Uber/Lyft drivers knew about Admitted students open house and asked about how I liked the area, gave suggestions on places to eat, and engaged in conversation. A lot of good restaurants in Charlottesville as well. I spent late Saturday afternoon in DT Charlottesville and it seems like an enjoyable place to walk around, eat, hang out with friends. It is definitely NOT an urban city environment though.
Thanks! Have you decided on UVA?
No, not yet. The scholarship offer, or lack thereof I should say, is making it hard to commit. And from the looks of it, UVA doesn't negotiate.
Aww, well good luck with the decision process! :)
You too! I may still end up at UVA, we'll see!

User avatar
RParadela

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by RParadela » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:09 pm

A little late, but fully committed to UVA now. Maybe we should get a new poll up to see where everyone is living at next fall?

User avatar
nimbus cloud

Silver
Posts: 536
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:19 am

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by nimbus cloud » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:47 pm

RParadela wrote:A little late, but fully committed to UVA now. Maybe we should get a new poll up to see where everyone is living at next fall?
Anyone who is not living at the Ivy Gardens is making a huge mistake.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


User avatar
anyriotgirl

Platinum
Posts: 8349
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 am

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by anyriotgirl » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:44 pm

[youtube]rD80eZ6Gxz0[/youtube]
Last edited by anyriotgirl on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1881
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:46 am

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 7&t=276168

Destinations thread is up for those of you who have committed!

Also, I'll get a new poal up shortly.
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

susanfields

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:04 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by susanfields » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:54 am

.
Last edited by susanfields on Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous Ivy Grad

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by Anonymous Ivy Grad » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:49 pm

I'm very interested to hear if anyone has been successful in getting UVA to reconsider and/or increase a scholarship award this year.

I tried to negotiate my scholarship and got a very nice email telling me they won't be able to increase it. It's not clear to me whether that means that UVA isn't negotiating with anyone, or whether they're just choosing not to negotiate with me (either because of the scholarship offer I showed them or because of who they need in next year's class).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”